Busa suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busa suspension

Sorry no time to search. Would the wheels and suspension from a 2007 Busa work as an upgrade for 1983 GS1100e?
    My Fleet
    2008 HD Sportster Roadster 1200 the cruiser
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 old guy's sport bike
    Yamaha TW200 year unknown the ranch runner
    1983 GS1100E parts/project wants to be a bike again
    1970 Suzuki TC90

Originally posted by Madbikebreaker View Post
    Sorry no time to search. Would the wheels and suspension from a 2007 Busa work as an upgrade for 1983 GS1100e?
    If you don't have time to search, you don't have time for that project.
    '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
      If you don't have time to search, you don't have time for that project.
      Agreed.

Of course, anything is possible with enough explosives, a full welding, fabrication, and machine shop at your sole disposal, and a mechanical engineering degree.

Adapting late-model suspension to a GS is always a major fabrication project. You've got a monoshock rear you want to somehow graft onto a dual shock frame, plus sportbike forks are much shorter so you have a lot of geometry to sort out, maybe fabricate some extensions, etc.

I don't know of any information for or against the 'Busa forks specifically for this sort of project.

This page may prove helpful in sorting out whether it's possible bearing-wise to adapt the 'boooooosa triples to the GS:
      All Balls Racing Bearing and Seals packages all the needed parts to help with rebuilding your ATV, Dirt Bike, Street Bike, V-Twin,Snowmobile, All Balls manufactures 133 swing arm kits to cover more models than anyone, from 1973 to current,
      Last edited by bwringer; 02-07-2022, 12:44 AM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback bwringer. I had forgotten about all balls. They are a great resource.

I was at a cycle swap with spotty service. Turns out the guy wanted too much for the parts.

Mr. Desmond.I am sorry I that I took up forum space with a quick question. Didn’t mean to bother you.
        My Fleet
        2008 HD Sportster Roadster 1200 the cruiser
        2001 Yamaha FZ1 old guy's sport bike
        Yamaha TW200 year unknown the ranch runner
        1983 GS1100E parts/project wants to be a bike again
        1970 Suzuki TC90

Comment

Originally posted by Madbikebreaker View Post
          Thanks for the feedback bwringer. I had forgotten about all balls. They are a great resource.

I was at a cycle swap with spotty service. Turns out the guy wanted too much for the parts.

Mr. Desmond.I am sorry I that I took up forum space with a quick question. Didn’t mean to bother you.
          No bother at all.
          '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I don't know that there is much consensus on what sportbike forks are used for grafting modern suspension onto a GS. There have been a few such projects, but not a lot of consistency in how they're carried out. One common factor is that sportbike forks are a LOT shorter than GS forks, so if you ever want to go around corners you need to figure out extensions of some sort; that's some pretty advanced lathe work.

Forks from taller modern bikes like V-Stroms or Bandits might be more workable, but they're also not enough of a functional or visual upgrade to be worthwhile. And a lot of this is driven by aesthetics, so people tend to want the flashiest possible gold upside-down forks with full adjustment, phat tires and brakes, etc.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

As I say here from time to time... for heavily modified and cross generation mods on old GS bikes, check out Old Skool Suzuki.info.

Genetic engineering of an extinct species
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

^^ Very wise advice from Glen. ^^ The guys on OSS have monster talent and aren't afraid to use it.
                Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
                Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
                X