New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1100 G Restoration Project. Rebuilding my Dad's bike

Day 22 (Restoration started in 18th August, 2012)

I am a newbie restorer and have just started my rebuild. Really enjoying it so far. But I bet they all say that eh? What's the odds on a completion? How many start and never finish? Hope I am not one of them!

(Added: December 2012): I am doing an original rebuild with some upgrades (brake lines, electrics). I am not a welder, fabricator or painter and I will not be building zinc plating tanks and soda blasting cabinets. I will stick with my skills in mechanics. I will be using the services of people to do the painting, blasting and chroming for me (I am in the UK). I will be sticking pretty much to the original factory design of the bike but I might play a little with colour. I am rebuilding this bike with an accent on doing it to a high standard (rechroming the forks for instance) which will probably mean breaking open the crankcases just so I can get them blasted, polished and possibly painted, nicely. I want the finished product to be good for another 30 years. I am not going for 100% original concours. I have to spread the cost of this out so I am planning for this to take 24 months. I am looking to ride out in the summer of 2014. God willing.

I have set up a blog to capture a photo of every part I remove/replace. This will be my reference for the rebuild. It contains 100s of high resolution pictures and descriptions of procedures I have performed and problems I have had.

Here is my blog: http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/

I am posting on the GS Resources Forum here, extracts from the blog to show the progress of the rebuild. There will be enough information on this forum that you will not need to visit the blog unless you really want to delve deep or you are a complete geek like me!

Not sure how best to put pics up here like this:

It's a real drag having to put them up to Photobucket every time I update this site. It there any way of linking my blog? Does anyone know?
    Last edited by londonboards; 12-22-2012, 08:56 AM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Looks like you've got you're work cut out for you, but go for it!

Do you have all of the parts/pieces? Battery box, electronics panel, tank, frame covers, seat, coil, etc?

Can't wait to see it finished!

Comment

I sure do. Some items (like the seat pan) are in a poor state but I don't think anything is totall unrecoverable except perhaps the brake cylinders and maybe there is too much rust pitting on the the forks for them to be serviceable.

Here is the first shot of the bike before breakdown started:

The bike was originally brown (see side panels and rear fairing) but at some stage the brown tank rusted out and I got a spare which just happened to be blue. I think I will respray the whole bike blue now although not it's original colour, I much prefer it.
      Last edited by londonboards; 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

linking

londonboards,

Good luck with your project, youve lots of work to do, if you want some inspiration, there are plenty of examples on this forum that started out equally shabby or worse...

About Pics;
        since it probably easier to to upload your pics to your blog, and your blog is publicly accessable, just copy the location from there.

thus

if you wrap that in picture tags
        [CODE][IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pPoyH0nZXG...0/P1040271.JPG[/IMG][/CODE]picture will appear here; I find it easier to write elsewhere like in notepad and cut n paste when posting

thus

Do show us your build, the gs1100g is a personal fabvourite, and a really good bike, please get it going and run it some before any thoughts of mods. (I'm betting you will love it stock and soon forget about those mods)

Cheers John
        Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2012, 04:51 AM.

Comment

John - that was really helpful. Thank you. I didn't realise I could post pictures like that. So I am doing 100s of photos as a memo of where everything goes which will go on the blog (http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/) then I can just choose some iteresting ones for this forum.

One other thing you may be able to ask. Is it better to do a new posting each time or do a reply or a quick reply? Many of the threads on here seem quite disjointed. There are many parts to them which makes it really difficult to read in one go. If you see what I mean! And what is the convention about quoting the message in the reply? Some people seem to do it and others don't. Greeting. Richard
          Richard
          sigpic

Comment

post replys it creates a thread

post replys it creates a consecutive thread, and keeps things in order.
            use a descriptive or imagitaive title to identify each post.

quoting the message
            Avoid quoting unless it makes a pertinent point, good idea is just to cut the most important point, like I did above... what gets on my goat is people the quote the entire previous post pictures and all

Cheers John

Comment

I scanned the front page of the Clymer Service/Repair/Maintenance manual today (not done any work on the bike today!) to keep the blog fresh.

And the note my mother wrote on the inside cover:

Richard
              sigpic

Comment

Day 25

OK I am cracking on now. Got the airbox and carbs off today and I am pleasantly suprised that they are salvagable. The are not pretty to look at but I believe we can sort that out with some ultra sonic cleaning. Here we go:

Don't know if these pictures are too big but I am putting them up on my blog (http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/) and then copying the links here. I have literally 100s of photos on the blog as I am using it as my cataloging device.

Wow these photos are big!
                Last edited by londonboards; 09-28-2012, 08:21 AM.
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Wow this is a cool rebuild. You certainly have your work cut out for you, but this bike deserves it. I can tell by your mum's note how much joy this GS has brought your family, and it will again. Good on ya for giving the old gal some love and fixing her up nice.

I checked out your blog too. Some notes on your progress...
                  Those carbs will be good as new with a good solid cleaning and new rubber O-Rings. You'll probably need new intake manifolds too, as the rubber gets hard and cracks the bike runs poorly. Also there is an o-ring between the manifolds and the heads that must be replaced. Any air leaks between the carbs and head will negatively affect engine running.

You should look into basscliffs megawelcome and see what vendors stock the needed parts. Robert Barr's Cycle O-rings can supply you with new carb O-rings. Also you could try posting up here in the Parts wanted section. I'm sure someone has a box with those idle speed adjustors and drain plugs in them .

That bike will be running again soon. Cant wait to see how this turns out. Cheers mate.

PS those pictures are a big big compared to the norm here, but that is okay with me. They really show the details and grimy cobwebs your wading through!

Comment

Hey cheers for that Tim Tom. Guitarist per chance? I'm the drummer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3BMrbxUnlk

Yes I thought they were a bit too too big but they sure show the detail! It would be a pain if I had to resize them everytime I posted.

Yes indeed I will need lots of new parts but nothing big I hope.

Thanks for your encouragement. Really appreciated.
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

No complaints on pic size from me. If they are truly too big for someone they can always just zoom out on the browser .

I'm a guitarist yes, amateur at best, but I do enjoy making noise. Nice sounding band you've got! Liked the cover of 'Valerie' on youtube. Dug the funky guitar riffs. There are plenty of musicians here on GSR, interesting to see the cross over in hobbies.

Keep going on this build, GSes are built to run, and yours is far from gone yet!

Comment

Day 26

Here's todays blog post. I have taken a few pics of the airbox and she looks in pretty good condition.

See the rest of the airbox pictures here:

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Last edited by londonboards; 09-28-2012, 08:20 AM.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Day 27

Speedometer lens.

Still testing the photos. I will get it right soon.

The speedo has it's own issues. Can the lens be replaced on its own:

Blog view: http://suzukigs1100.blogspot.co.uk/2...eedometer.html
                          Last edited by londonboards; 09-28-2012, 08:19 AM.
                          Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Day 42

Carburettor / Engine Manifolds / Boots

Got the first of these off today. Looks worse than I thought. Rubber is still pliable but the engine side has rusted. Can they be salvaged?

The restoration project for my dad's 1984 Suzuki GS1100 G.The bike was shipped to the UK and is now in Canterbury for restoration - August 2012.

Can't seem to find new boots available in the UK from Suzuki. Seen some on US Ebay but they are not cheap and no guarantee they are much better quality.
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                              Day 27

Speedometer lens.

The speedo has it's own issues. Can the lens be replaced on its own:

Yes it can. I think I might have one that will fit - I'll have a look for you. Can you measure the diameter just to be sure.
                              79 GS1000S
                              79 GS1000S (another one)
                              80 GSX750
                              80 GS550
                              80 CB650 cafe racer
                              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                              X