Hillbilly Valve Spring Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hillbilly Valve Spring Compressor

i found this brass bushing in a scrap pile. put it in a vise and sawzalled off the side for access. along with a big old C clamp it's a bit clumsy but i've used it on several heads to compress valve springs and remove and install keepers. i assume it saved me a few bucks over an official tool.

in use, just slightly compressed:

2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

That is the same concept that I use, but I found that a 24mm deep well socket from Auto Zone does the same thing.

I don't have any pictures of it yet, but can get some if there is any interest.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"That is the same concept that I use, but I found that a 24mm deep well socket from Auto Zone does the same thing."

interesting, how do you access the keepers? cutting a socket ain't easy.

point is, ya gotta use what ya got.

Comment

I used a Dremel to cut a window in the side of spare spark plug sockets. Then I drilled a hole in the end of the c-clamp and used this to bolt the socket to the c-clamp.

The larger spark plug socket (13/16) is used for 8 valve engines, and the smaller has been used for many 16V engines.

The sockets are wrapped in duct tape to prevent scratching the lifter bores.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Eli69 View Post
          interesting, how do you access the keepers? cutting a socket ain't easy.

point is, ya gotta use what ya got.
          I access the keepers the same way you did, by cutting a window in the side of the socket.

Cutting a socket is plenty easy. Use a heavy-duty cut-off wheel in the Dremel. Takes about three minutes.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I access the keepers the same way you did, by cutting a window in the side of the socket.

Cutting a socket is plenty easy. Use a heavy-duty cut-off wheel in the Dremel. Takes about three minutes.

I think others have used short lengths of PVC pipe instead of a socket. PVC cuts really easily. Me I bought a compressor

Comment

Yeah, I started with PVC, even made a video that is posted on BassCliff's site, but found that the PVC deforms too much.
              It's also a bit "fiddly" trying to glue a washer to the end of the PVC to give the clamp something to push on.

After searching around for various bits of metal that would be stronger, I decided on a deep-well socket. Plenty strong sides, and the (mostly) closed end where the ratchet is attached just keeps the c-clamp from falling into the middle. That is the hole that Brian evidently uses to bolt it to the clamp.

Last edited by Steve; 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

hmmm... i think i'll try to come up with a way to connect the gadget to the C clamp. to keep it straight and less wobbly.

and i gotta get me one of them dremels.

Comment

This is Brian's valve spring compressor.

Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Hey, this is a great thread. Cause it's only a matter of time before I do valves.
                    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I cut a window in both sides of a deep socket and use one of those cheap harbor freight quick release bar clamps. I've got different size sockets for the 8v and 16v heads.

Comment

I used a socket in a similar way for my valve compressor. I also painted the other side of the clamp with Plasti-Dip so that it wouldn't scratch the valves or chamber. Works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                          Wow, glad you got pics, Larry! I've been meaning to take a photo of that thing for a while.

I forgot about one detail -- notice that I Dremeled a notch at the end of the C-clamp so I'd have a flat spot to drill the hole for the bolt. I made sure to use a higher-quality clamp, since the threads would be getting a lot of use -- cheap clamps tend to be sloppy.

I leave the bolt a little bit loose so the window in the socket can be turned whichever way it's needed. In that photo, the smaller 5/8" spark plug socket is mounted since we're working on a 16V engine.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Nice to see that you are using a METRIC c-clamp, too.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Any ideas on how to do this with the head installed if you just wanted to change the seals? The valves can be kept in place by stuffing rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, but how to secure the valve spring compressor to the frame?
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X