Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki GS1000e/s/gs1100/gsx1100 project...

bobtail84 is offline Forum Mentor Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Default Suzuki GS1000e/s/gs1100/gsx1100 project...

This is my GS1000 when my mate and I started about 4 years ago. This is the beginning and there is much more to add in the future..

Yes I know the title is a little confusing... All will become as clear as mud as we progress.

This is the beginning.. genesis if you like.. or just a frame..

It was bought from an internet auction site by a mate as a genuine GS1000s but it turned out to be a pup. The log book says it's a GS1100, the engine say's GS1000. It has e clocks and a 17" rear wheel so we think it's a bitza. I made him an offer So.. this is where we started from.

and the next job was this..

This is a complete ground up rebuild only because I don't want to have to fix it every half hour. When I say we have changed everything that needed to be changed I mean everything, even down to the dust rubbers on the calipers. As I type we have everything back on the bike except the tank, seat and rear end but are looking for ideas for the rear as the GS has a king long bottom and I don't like it much. There's lot's of stainless and shiny and black (cos everyone know's that black is fastest)

It still has the standard bars but they were bent so time for some scouting about..

Found these lurking about.. on a internet auction site at a reasonable cost..

Which look quite nice.

So next the engine was stripped and inspected...

The bottom end was in very good nick, the ends, both big and little, were very good. The pistons and rings also were very good as were the bores BUT the head....

To be continued...
    Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Super Site Supporter

Right more stuff as the saga continues...

The engine was stripped, cleaned and checked then a full gasket set and cam chain were purchased and the engine rebuild started. Much ali etch and satin black was used but no small furry animals were harmed.

Bottom end together and sprayed

Checking out some shiney to see if it's OK..

Head next

Gearbox, clutch, cams, starter and lots of other stuff slipped in whilst I was looking the other way then it was all slipped it to the frame.

The wiring loom was tinkered with by one of the previous owners. He must must have had a new reel of green wire as he cut lots of wire out and replaced it with the aforementioned electrical conductor. We had a meeting with No4 coffee beans ground to inspire us and it was decided to source a new second hand loom.
    Ian found one on the well know internet site and we had a good loom.

To be continued....
    Jeff

Living the dream...

Nice work so far.
    Looking forward for the next step.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Nice job - you can see how far I haven't got in my GS1100 rebuild from my signature link.

You are over the other side of the Tunnel to me, I'll drop over some day and say hello.

If you are on Facebook, you can mess with other GS Brits on our UK GS Owners Group page (see signature again).

Love the engine paintwork. This is what mine currently looks like:

Richard

GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Super Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments and I will be having a look at your face book page Richard.

The more observant of you may have noticed that there are gold wheels on the bike. TBH the whole bike was gold and it's not a good look. So the wheels were dropped down to a man on Canvey Island (da rock) as the gold paint resisted pretty much every attempt at removal so dipping was required. The cam cover was powder coated but flaking badly and was also dipped.

The result was rather nice..

Then some satin black paint..

Some headlights were added...

and tested. No fires so that was handy..

A bit of a polish and back on the bike.

And one from the rear....

It's coming along nicely..

Jeff
    Jeff

Living the dream...

Super Site Supporter

Now I did have a few comments, well quite a few to be fair.. and none were for the best. Soooo......

Hallelujah brothers.... I have seen the light... and the light is bright...

Jeff

Living the dream...

Super Site Supporter

OK.... as you all know 70's and 80's bikes had BIG rear ends. Some worked, Kwak Z's spring to mind, but the GS's were 4 king terrible. More arse than J-Lo... So my stylist, kwak1261 and I had some very nice coffee made in his ferkin spenciv coffee making thingy and prodded and poked and this is where we ended up...

As you can see a trim of the tail piece so it fits inside the seat is just the job..

Rear light mounted on a trimmed inner mudguard..

This is pretty much the look we're going for but the seat is off for a trim and re-cover.

The gold paint is going... Black is faster.
    Last edited by bobtail84; 03-25-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    Jeff

Living the dream...

Super Site Supporter

The bike is really starting to take shape now, there is still quite a bit to do as you can see but it's looking good.

Also we had a delivery..

Jeff

Living the dream...

Super Site Supporter

I mentioned near the beginning of the build the wiring. More specifically the use of green wire.

Some green wire..

possibly attached here or possibly not..

Also can you spot the repair?

A bigger picture may help.

There any a number of gems like this and I believe Ian, who has spent a vast amount of his time helping and building my bike, may have something to say about the brakes. More of that later..

The reason for the complete rebuild was the shear amount of horrors that Ian found as he 1st looked at the bike, then as he started to strip it that came to light.
    He was going to break it up and sell it but I said "it can't be that bad I'll buy it from you"... It won't cost too much to rebuild I thought..

Mind you, when it's finished it will be quite nice.

More to come...
    Jeff

Living the dream...

Super Site Supporter

Just so everyone knows this is a bringing the build up to date thread.

Another loom was purchased and fitted (without the extra green wire..) and another stator was also bought.

There are more and as they come to mind I will let you know or Ian will. I have a picture of the bike when Ian brought it home on the back of the lorry so when it's finished we'll have before and after piccies to compare.

This is a little comment from my mate Ian..

The rear brake, ah yes, i remember it well.
    it had seized up completely so it was in dire need of an overhaul. there was no fluid in the system either
    and most of the paint had come off as well, should have been alarm bells and sirens going at this point.
    i pumped the pistons out with the grease gun then set to taking it to pieces, removing the allen bolts that hold the 2 half's together when i separated the caliper i noticed that the joint O ring was in 2 parts and that someone had rebuilt the caliper and used silicone sealant all over the O ring and the joint. that would explain the total lack of fluid in the system.
    Jeff

Living the dream...