Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potential GS850L owner in UK - needs convincing to take the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential GS850L owner in UK - needs convincing to take the plunge!

Hi folks,
    I'm totally new to the forum but in my desire to soak up as much info as possible i've come across multiple links to this excellent forum and decided I should just jolly well sign up.

So, I have the motorbike itch again after having no bike for the last couple of years. Have owned numerous and various sized bikes (600cc up to 1300cc) since passing my test around 8 years ago, but other than a couple of oil changes have never truly had my hands dirty. This was mainly down to buying newer models or bikes in excellent condition, and moving them on after 6mths/12mths or so.

I've had one 'classic' before (Kawasaki Z1000ST), and although I loved the looks and the shaft drive / low maintenance aspect, I got shy when it came to sorting the broken kick start return spring and blue smoke from exhaust so moved it on.
    This time around, however, I am now blessed with a clean and dry garage with power/lights, and a half decent selection of tools - so with enough guidance I am happy to take on easy to medium skilled mechanical tasks.

Which brings me to the GS series. I am not fully versed on bikes of the 70s/80s era, but having grown up through the 80's and early 90's I remember seeing a lot of cool looking bikes on the road. My uncle also has a few kettles and a z1300 tucked away for safe keeping and this has piqued my interest in older machines again. From having read up on a few models it would appear that the GS(850) has a highly regarded and reliable lump.
    If I were to take the plunge on an older bike im ideally looking for something that is least likely to leave me stranded somewhere, and is happy to actually fire up in the morning! It would be used for occasional 2-up riding into my local town in order to avoid (lack-off) car parking - and the odd sunny commute to work (50 mile round trip) on country roads.
    I have no problem with a bike that looks a bit rough around the edges as I love a bit of age related patina, but essentially I want a bike that I can trust when called into duty.

I started off looking at the XJ series (XJ650), and also the CB750 or even a CX500. But now I've kind of got my heart set on a GS850. Having seen an imported L model at a local import garage im tempted to load my credit card but I would first love your input into whether im being a rose tinted nostalgic fool - or perhaps about to embark on a brilliant journey with a great characterful old bike?

The bike in question is right near the top of my budget. Prices sure do seem to have risen in recent years but for the money, the GS550/750/850 seem to be about as good as it gets. The seller has said the bike will be MOT'd (tested and ready for the road) at point of sale. I've viewed it once and it fired up pretty well first time (battery sounded tired, perhaps a troublesome rectifier?) and on choke it revved high (apparently a Suzuki trait of this era?), but no noticeable smoke or misfiring, and all electrics seem to work fine. I'll be going back tomorrow for a closer look and to have a sit on it.

Here she is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/252454484036

Lend me your thoughts.
    Cheers

That bike is exactly like the one I owned, same color scheme too. I used it for riding to and fro to work and countryside rides with my wife.
    The 850 had plenty of power for two people and small enough for excellent gas mileage. My wife liked the hump in the seat because she could see over my head a little.
    I'm partial to the L's so I would encourage you to take it on. I'm not so sure about it becoming a classic or anything but I buy them to ride.
    I would get some mirrors for it though.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

My opinions

The GS850GL is a fine commuter bike (I use mine that way) as well as a lot of fun for countryside riding.
      It is not lacking on power and can easily run all day at highway speeds or two up. The 850 makes power and is remarkably quick for its size.
      I love mine and many have them and love as well.

Now the reality -
      Know that the cost of ownership extends beyond the initial purchase.
      New tires - and other deferred maintenance are a MUST - brakes and rubber bits will require a thorough going over.
      Making it GO-STOP-LOOK GOOD are the priorities (in order) and each comes at a cost.
      Then you must purchase safety gear for yourself and any eventual co-rider-
      Helmets, jackets, boots - and probably some saddlebags for convenience (Look at Shadonline.com for some nice designs)

Your will likely double your original investment - but you will --
      A) Have a very capable bike
      B) Learn a lot about the mechanics of motorcycles (and yourself)
      C) Develop friends from the following of this bike which approaches CULT status.
      D) Have a pride to own a piece of motorcycle history

Alright then .. GO BUY IT !
      Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

OK from a UK point of view:

The L bikes (US style custom, chop or whatever you call it) are not the most popular bikes over here. We kinda (tongue in cheek) always assume our US friends much prefer style over substance (exactly how does an HD handle around the twisties?). This means that your exit strategy is severely curtailed. You will need to be in love with this bike like your first girlfriend. It is going to end up costing you 2x your purchase price to get it up to spec and it will never be worth more that £1,000 - £1,500.

The GS850 is a good bike. But I would get a standard European or Canadian one. Those cowhorn handlebars and silly seating position will give your arms and butt tons of pain. They were designed to cruise downtown to the beer hall on a Friday night. Not for proper motorcycling! (That'll get them all up in arms!).

Join our FB page (see my sig) and ask them.
        Richard
        sigpic
        GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
        GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
        GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
        Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
        Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I would agree on getting a uk spec - or at least one that is already registered in uk - you will need that money you save (and more) to fix/improve/maintain it, but you will learn how to fix it yourself lol. Coming from someone who just spent 100+ hours and more money than the Mrs knows about on parts and upgrades to get it back on the road after 18 months. On the plus side - I can get insurance for under £80 on my 850, and am confident of being able to get it home under its own steam.
          Having said that - it is a labour of love and unless it suffers catastrophic engine failure, I'll not get rid of this one (probably).

Comment

Fair points, thanks guys.

maybe I want to cruise down to the beer hall?...

I know now what you mean about US spec, but I'm not looking to tear around, in fact that's the reason I stopped riding for a while - had an SV1000 and some numpty side swiped me on the M25 3 years ago. I loved that bike but it always encouraged me to wring it's neck... I genuinely want a lazy weekend cruiser this time.

will see if impatience gets the better of me.

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
              OK from a UK point of view:

The L bikes (US style custom, chop or whatever you call it) are not the most popular bikes over here. We kinda (tongue in cheek) always assume our US friends much prefer style over substance (exactly how does an HD handle around the twisties?). This means that your exit strategy is severely curtailed. You will need to be in love with this bike like your first girlfriend. It is going to end up costing you 2x your purchase price to get it up to spec and it will never be worth more that £1,000 - £1,500.

The GS850 is a good bike. But I would get a standard European or Canadian one. Those cowhorn handlebars and silly seating position will give your arms and butt tons of pain. They were designed to cruise downtown to the beer hall on a Friday night. Not for proper motorcycling! (That'll get them all up in arms!).

Join our FB page (see my sig) and ask them.
              Up in arms? Never.
              This is where form meets function. You want to ride in the dirt? Get a dirt bike. You want to do twisties? Get an E. You want to cruise? Get a cruiser. You want to fish? Get a boat.
              His question was exactly what an L is good for. And I agree, an occasional beer hall?...perfect.
              Plus my wife never liked the twisties.
              Last edited by AMK; 07-14-2016, 05:00 PM.
              Alan

sigpic
              Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Hi,
                I'd been watching that bike on eBay for a while now, it's on my watch list. I don't know but the guy's on here will! Although the bike is sold as an 80 bike, could it possibly be an 82? does it matter? Well yes! The bar's on that bike are much lower than an 80 bike and therefore more comfortable, 80 bars get you back of the shoulders and are horrible, these look more like 82 bars, the petcock doesn't look like troublesome 80 peacock, the wheels don't look 80, again more like 82, the filler cap isn't cantered like an 80 is, the rear foot pegs aren't mounted as the foot pegs on an 80 are, again 82 style. An 80 bike would have point's, a 82 would have electronic ignition. Could be totally wrong of course!!!

850 good sound bike and economical to, with reasonably driving 50/55mpg is possible, 4 into 2 looks in good order, mind you wouldn't need to be looking to replace it, seat looks real good, paint looks good, can't see the down pipes, tyres look dated, any cracks? you may well wear them out, no sign of it ever being dropped, a fair heavy bike and a fiver from Eurolites will sort out your dip for mot.

I Love it, expect you already figured that!
                Last edited by Chromedome; 07-20-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Great bikes. Mine came from Nottingham and had been through the wars when I got it. Up at 49000 miles now and never let me down. Do a fair bit with the wife including the odd trip out west. The whole L thing is personal choice.
                  Electrics is 30 years old but everything is fixable and possibly everything that can happen has happened here before. The first year will probably see a lot of things needing doing.

Maybe I'm losing the plot but I could have sworn the ad had a pic of the right side of the steering stem an hour ago showing a frame number beginning with JS. That I think started with the 1980 'X' model year. But the alloy plates for the footrests came with the 'Z' in 1982 ?
                  Last edited by Brendan W; 07-14-2016, 05:10 PM.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Side covers and signals say '82.
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Just had a look at the eBay pics - is that an original speedo? Just a thought, as my one goes up to 140 on the dial.

Comment

So, chances are this is an 82?
                        i could grab the frame number tomorrow. What am I looking for for confirmation?

Comment

Originally posted by Taboogs View Post
                          Just had a look at the eBay pics - is that an original speedo? Just a thought, as my one goes up to 140 on the dial.
                          i figured red it's a US speed limited original. In which case, does the needle just fly past the max indicates speed?

Comment

That is an 82. Exactly like mine, same color and everything. One problem with the 82's. The splines in the rear wheel are soft and will definitely give out. It's an easy fix, you can find replacements easily on e-bay from other years that are harder. Plenty of threads here about this issue.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

'82 went to 85 mph.
                              Alan

sigpic
                              Added an '82 GS1100GL