Bringing a 78 GS 550 back to life. . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing a 78 GS 550 back to life. . .

I'm looking forward to restoring this neglected GS 550 back to life. For this bike, unlike the Honda's that have come and gone, I want to bring it back to stock and keep it. Being retired, I enjoy spending the winter months having a project. This bike has good compression, just needs some time and attention.

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM.

So, the tank isn't in too bad a shape. I've seen worse. Using electrolysis to pull out the rust.

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-27-2018, 06:43 AM.

Comment

The tank has a few dings in it. It's Bondo time!

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-27-2018, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Primed and ready for paint in a few months. I won't paint this until I have the bike put back together.

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-27-2018, 06:47 AM.

Comment

The motor has good compression. I just want to clean the carbon off the pistons, clean, paint the top end and polish the side covers to make it look pretty.

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-27-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment

Having the stock exhaust in what looks to be great shape is a big bonus.
            Good luck with the resto.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Buffing up side covers is the look I'm going for. I need to figure out how to post multiple photos in one reply.

Last edited by Wangofree; 12-27-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wangofree View Post
                I need to figure out how to post multiple photos in one reply.
                In order to post up to 10 images in one post you need to use an image hosting site like flikr or imgur to host your photos. From either site, copy the BBcode for the image you want to post and paste that into your post. No need to use the little picture icon in the post tool-bar. It's a pain, but once you get used to doing it that way, it's fine. Using one of those sites (there are others,too) is the only way to post multiple pics in one forum post here at theGSR.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thanks Rich. Yeah I figured that's what was needed. I use to use Flickr, but things got weird after SmugMug bought them out.

Comment

Cool story and good pics. Thanks for sharing!

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

This bike has been dropped a couple of times in its' life. The carbs tell the story. . .

But, inside they just need a good soak in carb dip.

Comment

Here's 3 bikes brought back from the dead. . .

Honda CB360

Honda CB 350 (Yes, I sold it a long time ago). I really like this "Black Cherry" color and will paint the GS 550 this same color.

And a Honda CB 350F

Comment

That "Black Cherry" color is killer... How are you going to approach that banged up throat on the #4 carb? or is there enough left to still get a airbox pipe clamped on tight without messing with it too much?

Comment

That looks more like pry-bar damage than crash damage on those carbs.
                            If the previous owner was that ham-fisted with the carbs no doubt you will be finding some "gems" elsewhere on the bike.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yeah I haven't tried fitting these to the airbox yet. I'll check that soon. One way or another I'll make it work. I assumed that this damage is from falling since it's only on the outside carbs. Since I'm retired I'm trying to do things on a budget. But! One thing I did spend money on was a new wiring harness from Sparck Moto. Matt over at dotheton.com is a master at creating these. Included is an upgraded R/R.

That color is the bomb Steve. We'll see how she looks in a couple of months.

Comment

Working...
                              X