Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped thread - Oil Pan

G'day,

I've acquired an '79 850 that I'm working my way towards starting for the first time in who knows when. Most likely greater than 10 years.

Anyway, in the process of changing the oil and the filter, I came across this:

So at some stage this has been over torqued and the thread is now stripped. Should I have a crack and fixing this myself or should I get the mobile thread repair guy to come and sort it? Thoughts?

Salty

Take the pan off and hit an auto parts store for a +1 drain bolt. just be sure to get the new one in as straight as possible. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO REMOVE a little material to get the +1 started cutting itself in.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Get self tapping "repair" drain bolt. They are tapered and designed to create threads.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You could also heli-coil the hole. It has the virtue of being more expensive.
        1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

I've had troubles getting them started Ed..that why I cautioned a little relief may be needed to get the +1 to grab enough to cut itself in. Guess a guy could have a shop weld it shut and just retap the original thread size. It's not critical and noones ever gonna see it.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            I've had troubles getting them started Ed..that why I cautioned a little relief may be needed to get the +1 to grab enough to cut itself in. Guess a guy could have a shop weld it shut and just retap the original thread size. It's not critical and noones ever gonna see it.
            Welding shut and retapping it probably how I would do it given that I have a TIG machine but not a heli-coil of that size (probably 16 or 18mm,) but paying a shop to do the welding and tapping correctly is going to be more expensive than buying the heli-coil kit. Certainly the oversize plug is the cheapest and easiest option.
            1982 GS1100GL: hand built stainless 4-1 exhaust, pods, jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by Longitudinal View Post
              Welding shut and retapping it probably how I would do it given that I have a TIG machine but not a heli-coil of that size (probably 16 or 18mm,) but paying a shop to do the welding and tapping correctly is going to be more expensive than buying the heli-coil kit. Certainly the oversize plug is the cheapest and easiest option.
              14mm - useful to know if you ever lose your oil drain plug and can finish your journey on three cylinders.
              Unless you have a spare sparkplug, of course.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by SaltyDog View Post
                G'day,

I've acquired an '79 850 that I'm working my way towards starting for the first time in who knows when. Most likely greater than 10 years.

Anyway, in the process of changing the oil and the filter, I came across this:

So at some stage this has been over torqued and the thread is now stripped. Should I have a crack and fixing this myself or should I get the mobile thread repair guy to come and sort it? Thoughts?

Salty
                Pull the oil pan, install a threaded steel insert, flush with the pan on the bottom. A piece of the insert will be protruding inside the pan, take a file or a dremel tool and grind down the two edges for the slots. That way your oil will drain out completely. Take the pan to an auto parts store and find a drain plug to fit with new copper crush washer. All fixed and no more worries of it stripping again. You can see the steel insert in the pic with the slots not cut out yet.

Suzie oil pan.jpg
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I did this last weekend on my GS850GL

The +1 size was perfect - It cut easily and made a good seal -
                  I went for a good hot ride and it's all fixed -- now --

Autozone - Advance Auto - etc. should stock it .

Currently in the Stable :
                  2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                  1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                  - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

A coil insert will eventually back out and leak.

I always install a solid insert. When you have the oil pan off and get a look at it, there's a rather worryingly thin amount of aluminum there.

And the threads are the same as a the spark plug, so inserts and kits are pretty easy to find: 14mm x 1.25mm pitch.

Oversize plugs can get you out of a pinch fast, but they can also crack the aluminum. Most of the time it works fine if you stick with the first oversize. Fortunately, the oil pans for most GS engines are relatively easy to replace (getting the exhaust off without breaking a bolt off in the head is usually the hardest part) and easily available on fleaBay.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I used this........................ worked great.

Great thread repair kit. Not only does it repair spark plug threads but I used it to repair my motorcycle engine oil sump plug thread. Small leak was occuring around the plug but once I used this kit no more leaks. Job well done.

GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
                      1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
                      1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

I have the same problem. I bought a thread repair kit similar to ged's, because all the oversize plugs I could find had a different thread pitch (1.5 mm vs 1.25 mm).

My question is: how can I safely remove the oil pan? It's stuck on. I've got all the bolts out and the exhaust off the bike, but it's not budging. Is a putty knife the way to go?

J-Dog
                        1981 Suzuki GS550TX
                        1981 Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH
                        2001 Kawasaki Concours

Comment

I got the pan off. Used a painter's "multi-tool" (scraper + roller cleaner) and tapped it lightly with a hammer at a few spots on the rear. It popped off after about 15 whacks.
                          1981 Suzuki GS550TX
                          1981 Harley-Davidson Sportster XLH
                          2001 Kawasaki Concours

Comment

Working...
                          X