Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Taking apart the ignition switch

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    Hey rich what did you mean by that when its inserted wrong, I'm gonna take a video of what's happening idk wtf is happening.
    IIRC, there’s a white disc type thing with cross-shaped slots in it, but the cross has one short leg. On reassembly, the “clocking” of this short leg of the cross in the white disc is important. None of this will likely make any sense until you take it apart. Take pics and/or video as you disassemble the ignition barrel and you should be fine.

    Of course, all of this is assuming that your ignition barrel/key slot thing is the same as mine. I don’t know if it is or not.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    spring hill florida
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    IIRC, there’s a white disc type thing with cross-shaped slots in it, but the cross has one short leg. On reassembly, the “clocking” of this short leg of the cross in the white disc is important. None of this will likely make any sense until you take it apart. Take pics and/or video as you disassemble the ignition barrel and you should be fine.

    Of course, all of this is assuming that your ignition barrel/key slot thing is the same as mine. I don’t know if it is or not.
    I already disassembled and reassembled it, I posted the video aswell maybe it's fine and beforehand it was messing up?
    Ian

    1982 GS650GLZ

    Want a "twin" for my bike

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Ian, just watched your video. Please, if you haven’t taken the ignition apart yet, DON’T. I worked before, and your key moves smoothely. Leave it alone.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Ok, what i see from your video is, I think you put it back together right. On my bike you have to have the handlebars turned all the way to left or right (full-lock) in order to be able to turn the ignition key all the way left or all the way right. Key all the way right (clockwise) is the emergency tail-light-on position. Try it.

    edit: you also have to push in/down with the key in order to get the key to turn to the far left and far right positions.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-09-2021 at 07:23 AM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    spring hill florida
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Ok, what i see from your video is, I think you put it back together right. On my bike you have to have the handlebars turned all the way to left or right (full-lock) in order to be able to turn the ignition key all the way left or all the way right. Key all the way right (clockwise) is the emergency tail-light-on position. Try it.

    edit: you also have to push in/down with the key in order to get the key to turn to the far left and far right positions.
    Great! Glad it works correctly, I wasnt sure if it was supposed to still have the lights on when turned farthest to the right.


    Okay that's what I lost is the rear light but I'll check it right now to see if it works again, I had a mishap with the brake light switch this morning but I was able to fix it.....6 parts and no directions to put back together made for an hour long assembly
    Last edited by timebombprod; 05-09-2021 at 07:45 AM.
    Ian

    1982 GS650GLZ

    Want a "twin" for my bike

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    2,848

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    spring hill florida
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Update, everything works!
    Ian

    1982 GS650GLZ

    Want a "twin" for my bike

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    2,848

    Default

    Everything?, or just the ignition switch? Either way, it’s a win. Did you pick up any voltage by cleaning it?

  9. #19
    bwringer's Avatar
    bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    16,679

    Default

    Congratulations!


    I've taken ignition switches apart for cleaning, and they're always horribly filthy inside. Sometimes there's significant wear to deal with as well if the bike has a lot of miles or has been ridden a lot with a heavy key chain. Sometimes you can tweak the contacts a bit so that they make better contact.

    It's a puzzle, but do-able with care, patience, good lighting, and a pan or tray for disassembly.

    If replacement is required, you can often avoid the need to carry two keys by removing the gas cap and helmet lock cylinders and filing or rearranging the wafers so they'll work with the new key. The ignition switch uses (IIRC) five wafers, while the other locks only use three.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

    Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

    Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    spring hill florida
    Posts
    1,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Everything?, or just the ignition switch? Either way, it’s a win. Did you pick up any voltage by cleaning it?
    Unfortunately no voltage was gained... I know I'm losing atleast a volt in the killswitch, but I think it's where the killswitch meets the coilpack wires in the harness being that's the only thing I didnt touch.
    Ian

    1982 GS650GLZ

    Want a "twin" for my bike

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •