GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 streetfighter idea w/ picture

This is a performance build to create a Yoshimura GS1000 racebike tribute. New suspension components will be used, the motor will be tuned, and the frame will be braced.

Bike as stock looked like this.

Will most likely resemble in the end, the 1981 Yoshimura GS1000 racebike:

Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM.

I think I can see where you are trying to go with this, and yes, that will look cool... kinda Ahnold's enemy type bike...very mean looking! I like it!

Comment

Geez, I hope you're not going to "streetfighter" that beautiful bike mate? While I understand that we'd all like to get more performance from our bikes ( from both the engine and the chassis) I can't understand the point of adding modern wheels, forks, brakes, swingarms, bodywork etc to our old bikes?

I mean, I ride my GS1000S, because I like my GS1000S, not just my GS1000S engine with a GSXR front end, Honda Fireblade rear and Yamaha R1 tank/seat? Whatever you do, don't hack up a beautiful bike like that one in the pic, it's way too good for that kinda treatment! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

I like my bike as is, no doubt. But I also like to mod stuff too. Stock can be boring. If I design the mods correctly, I should be able to "convert" the bike from modified to stock pretty easily by removing the custom mounting hardware for the seat and tank. Adding modern wheels, forks, brakes, swingarms, bodywork etc to our old bikes is aimed at improving handling performance and looks - all those components have dramatically improved over the years. And it's fun to have a one-of-a-kind bike. Thanks for the input. :-D

Originally posted by terry View Post
        Geez, I hope you're not going to "streetfighter" that beautiful bike mate? While I understand that we'd all like to get more performance from our bikes ( from both the engine and the chassis) I can't understand the point of adding modern wheels, forks, brakes, swingarms, bodywork etc to our old bikes?

I mean, I ride my GS1000S, because I like my GS1000S, not just my GS1000S engine with a GSXR front end, Honda Fireblade rear and Yamaha R1 tank/seat? Whatever you do, don't hack up a beautiful bike like that one in the pic, it's way too good for that kinda treatment! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

I agree with terry, please don't cut it up. Yours is just too nice.:-D

You know what would be great: Find a crappy beater and bring it back to life! :-D

(or, just buy a Bandit)

Comment

Why take a classic and make it look like every other BORG assimilation machine the factories are coming up with? You're taking something unique and making it common. But the bottom line is it's your bike, but you did ask for opinions.:-?
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2006, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              Why take a classic and make it look like every other BORG assimilation machine the factories are coming up with? Your taking something unique and making it common. But the bottom line is it's your bike, but you did ask for opinions.:-?

I agree with Jim, strongly! For the love of God please don't ruin a classic bike in that kind of condition!

If that is what you want, buy a used Bandit or something man. Bike looks way better in it's classic state.

Next opinion

Comment

i'd leave it stock. the're only original once......................

Comment

Sorry, my friend......I've gotta' agree with the rest of the folks. You have an uncommonly clean bike, and there's sooo much you can do to it to improve it without changing the essential character of the machine. Suspension, brakes, seating, lighting, handlebars etc. These changes also make it unique. Buy a beater and then get the torches out! : )

Comment

Originally posted by billthebike View Post
                    i'd leave it stock. the're only original once......................
                    Exactly!

Save the money and aggravation and buy another bike (there are plently that look like your revised photo). That way you will have two!

Comment

Hmmmm....tough call for me. I like them both.

But, I'd say...it's your bike, and you are the one that has to be happy with it.

Personally, I would take a bike, like mine, and do that, since it's seen it's fair share of action anyways. LOL And you can't hurt it. LMAO

Comment

FWIW, what do you guys think of this guy's GS1000 streetfighter? I think it looks pretty cool, with the exception that the seat is bent too far upwards. I'd leave my seat horizontal like the original GS1000, and keep the original rear suspension instead of the monoshock for a more classic look. And I'd make the mods bolt-on accessible to be able to return it to a stock appearance if desired.

Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Well, obviously your link didn't work, but show us all the streetfighters in the book, and for the most part everybody is gonna tell you the same thing. NO.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
                            Well, obviously your link didn't work, but show us all the streetfighters in the book, and for the most part everybody is gonna tell you the same thing. NO.
                            I'm not sure that I would say no. I do like the idea, and the appearance. The only thing that would make me say no is if it was my bike, just because I don't want one. LOL But, as far as looks go...I wouldn't mind looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind View Post
                              ...Find a crappy beater and bring it back to life! :-D
                              If it were me and I had the ability you seem to have, I'd buy a beater as 8track suggested and mod that one up. Sometimes the goal (owning a streetfighter) isn't as important as the path (modding an old GS). Half the fun might be the project. \\/

Comment

Working...
                              X