gs1000 bobber/rat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs1000 bobber/rat build

Well folks, stop the hate mail.........I know this bike was meant for a different purpose.......

Here's the plan.

Airride in the rear
    Lowest (safe) ride height possible
    lowest seat height reasonably possible.
    low bars (clip on's maybe)
    Clean bars with internal throttle and front brake.
    Some bling, not too much
    Suicide shifter or something of that nature (foot clutch maybe)
    GSXR forks

As for paint, I dunno. I can have it painted, or powder coat it myself, both for the cost of materials. I've got something else in mind though.

I have a turbo, but I'm not confident in tuning it right now. Maybe at a later time. Plus, whatever I do, I want this bike to be reliable.

Motor is a 78' gs 1000. It is fresh with a welded crank.

Parts needed (updated often)
    GSXR Clip ons
    Some spoked wheels.

Progress may be slow at times. I have other paying jobs that are more important.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-20-2009, 06:18 PM.

I've already Polished the previously installed swingarm after I sleaved it for a lower bag mount. I've completely mocked up the airride, and figured the plumbing out.

Here it is slammed with the tins sitting in place

Comment

A few more shots.

At ride height

The upper bag mount

Comment

My plans are to either clear coat the bare metal tins, or finish them like the picture in the next post shows the tank.

This means, no body filler. So I had to cut the tank open and hammer them out.

Comment

This is how the bike sits now. This after about a week and a half of building it when I find time.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4fab.com View Post
            Well folks, stop the hate mail.........I know this bike was meant for a different purpose........
            Your forgiven if it's an L . . . Oh
            If you got a vision all ahead full
            Last edited by srsupertrap; 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM.
            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Im digging it. One of these days Ill finish my Digger. Got any pics of the air ride? I was thinking of air shocks since the 750 has these crap ass to find eye to clevis shocks. No one makes a good replacement for custom apps. Thought about doing a Softtail style swinger with an airbag but a compressor on these bikes isnt a good idea with the lack of extra amp from the stator.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                Im digging it. One of these days Ill finish my Digger. Got any pics of the air ride? I was thinking of air shocks since the 750 has these crap ass to find eye to clevis shocks. No one makes a good replacement for custom apps. Thought about doing a Softtail style swinger with an airbag but a compressor on these bikes isnt a good idea with the lack of extra amp from the stator.
                I'll get some pics of it soon. Basicly, it's an airbag with limiting straps, limiting the uptravel. This way I can adjust the preasure in the bag to change the stiffness, but the rebound will be limited by the straps. I'm not too sure how comfortable it will ride yet, but anything is better than the hardtail it used to be.

I am using an airtank and a compressor. I am hoping to get by running the compressor in short periods of time. I added a valve to the airtank so that I can fill it before I leave the shop and possibly not even use the compressor, who knows. Plus, I have plenty of options for more air storage in needed. I could use the swingarm, parts of the frame, Hide another airtank under the fuel tank, descise a tank as a NOS tank, whetever.

Comment

Sweet. I thought about running a small fiberglass paintball tank I have left over from when I played.Its 4500psi and 68ci. Its small with plenty of air to spare for the "just incase" deal. And the nice partis, they can have a low pressure reg built in. I was also considering and emergency tire fill kit with Co2 on a filter/expansion chamber. It looks like youre mounting your bag in roughly the same place as a soft tail would. I like it so far.

Comment

I like it. How is the seat going on? I would have made the swinger longer for more seating options, besides it would look even lower just by making it longer.

Comment

Killer idea!

Im gonna follow this one.

Im interested in where your going to stuff the battery. Mine as well as 90 % of elects are right above the swingarm where your mounting the bag.

I also agree with stretching a bit to allow for more seating options. Gonna be kinda tight there whenb slamed.

Keep it up.

Comment

The battery will fit just in front of the upper bag mount. It's tight, but it fits. I don't think I could get my pods back on, but I've got a intake in mind.

I considered stretching it a little. It's just not the look I'm goin for though. I've been calling it a bobber, and stretching it is against the Bobber rule book . The seat is done and I just finnaly got it today. Original plan was to mount the seat as low as I can at ride height, and let it hinge up when I slam it. If it don't work, "maybe" I'll stretch it, it's not too late.

Comment

You look as if you know your fabbing skills...you gonna brace the frame to help deal with the new stresses it will be facing? These frames werent designed to be "stiff" or hardtails...even though your going with air ride, i would suggest some cross bracing, gusseting, something, or you may find that thing folding up like a taco...

Comment

Yes the frame will get some gussets for sure. As of now, nothing is really even welded in yet.

Comment

Cleaned up the inside of the tank and started welding it up. Picked up a 99 gsxr front forks and triples today. Looking for some wheels still.
                              No pictures, camera batteries are dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X