No announcement yet.

gs1000 bobber/rat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a few hours today to work on the bike. I ended up spending most of it stairing at the bike, trying to figure out which direction to go.

I am not gonna mount the seat as low as originally planned.
    I will mount the battery in one of the areas shown in the pics.
    I played with a different rear fender, but I think it's too small.
    The tank is done, I'll keep it bare and oil it often. I also decided to leave the hammer marks.

I ditched the limiting straps on the suspension for some 630 chains. Flame on ......The straps were the "right" way to do it, but the chains look neat and they will work.

I'll probably flip the rear caliper to the bottom of the wheel instead of the top where it is now.

The new forks

The seat

The finished tank
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM.

Comment

another one of the tank

The lower bag mount

Some random pics showing a couple different options..

Comment

The fender that I'm probably not gonna use.

looks cool from the rear though

Comment

Thats looking good. Who tooled your seat skin?

Comment

BYOB did the seat. They did it for dirt cheap, but, the under side has a large bruise in the leather, and you can see some dye stains on the top.
            I'm way more than happy with it for what I payed. I am certain that if your willing to pay the fair price, they can make you a very nice seat.

Comment

That lookin great man... Also sent ya a PM.

Comment

Well it's been a while since I've got to work on the bike......My plans were to keep the bike short, and a low seat. Unfortuantely, I can't have both.....I am considering extending the swingarm, or building a new one now so that I can get the seat lower. This means, I'd basically be starting over on the airride.......I dunno..........If I do this and lengthen the bike I'd might as well put a springer front end on it and sell my GSXR forks.........

Comment

Just an idea, you obviously got the weldin skills to do a hardtail, so why not slam it down low w/ a hardtail and still have the low seat and short look yur wantin. By the way, if yur still willing, I'd like to get those downtube inserts welded up. PM me and we can hash out the details. Hate to see ya give up on an idea you put so much time/thought into...

Comment

Nah, it will be airride for sure. I'll probably fab an entirely new swingarm.

Comment

Well, I cut everything off. I'll be fabricating a new swingarm to lengthen the bike and get the low seat height that I'm going for.
                      Now I've got an extra polished aluminum swingarm sittin around. If anyone is interested, make an offer.
                      I'll post up some some 3-d renderings of the swingarm when I get around to workin on the bike again. I've got a few other jobs to finish up first.

Comment

How much slack did you give yourself on the swingarm limiting chain? Ive been trying to think up an idea for how I wanna do mine. What size bags did you go with? I found a set on Flaebay that were 2.75 dia. and about 3" fully extended.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4fab.com View Post
                          Well, I cut everything off. I'll be fabricating a new swingarm to lengthen the bike and get the low seat height that I'm going for.
                          Now I've got an extra polished aluminum swingarm sittin around. If anyone is interested, make an offer.
                          I'll post up some some 3-d renderings of the swingarm when I get around to workin on the bike again. I've got a few other jobs to finish up first.
                          That stretched out heap sittin next to yours in the shop got ya motivated huh? Your build looked even better in person, I love em low...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
                            How much slack did you give yourself on the swingarm limiting chain? Ive been trying to think up an idea for how I wanna do mine. What size bags did you go with? I found a set on Flaebay that were 2.75 dia. and about 3" fully extended.
                            Uh, I dunno really. It depends on your ride height. I just set the bike at ride height, and then welded them in place.

I can't remember the physical dimensions of the bag, but it's made by contitech and it's rated for 2500#. The way I "had" it setup, required quite a bit of PSI in the bag. I'm not too sure yet, but I think I will mount the bag horizontally under the seat, Possibly under the bike. This way I will run tubes from near the wheel mounting area to increase the leverage. If your gonna run airride, I would suggest doin it that way. The way I had it setup worked, but not as good as it could.
                            Heck, if you wanna go with a setup like I had, I'd sell you my swingarm with the lower mount, or do sometradin.

Comment

Originally posted by po-boy View Post
                              That stretched out heap sittin next to yours in the shop got ya motivated huh? Your build looked even better in person, I love em low...
                              Ha, yeah it does motivate me a little. However, I've got to finish cleanin the place up, and install some more lights. The electrician is coming to install a 200 amp service this week, and I gotta buid 2 atv bumpers this week.
                              I think I have some material for your frame sleaves, I just need to order some tubing the same Ø as the frame. It may be a week or two before I get to mess around your bike though.
                              BTW, I like the 12 gauge shells, nice touch.

Comment

Ill be extending my swinger and altering the gusset plate where you had yours. Im going to mount the new one at roughly a 45* and have the upper coming off the rear engine cage down tubesAfter I extend my swinger I should have the clearence to lower the seat. Still a work in progress though. You gonna run a compressor or a spare air tank? I had thought about a little 45/4500 paintball tank. I have a couple regulators that are low to high pressure and very adjustable. You can pick them up in Steel, aluminum, fiberglass and carbon fiber. Ive got an old steel and a fiberglass sitting around from my days playing.

Comment

Working...
                                X