gs1000 bobber/rat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wcrase View Post
    32, and I like building sorry if you guys get so upset about cutting up an jap bike. I want extended forks because I'm 6'5" be really nice to have room for extended highway pegs. not looking for more rake,

Is this thread based in japan or something???

can't believe the negative feedback. I bought the $300.00 bike looking to mod it, if I wouldn't have seen those builds I wouldn't even bother with it.
    I don't care if that fade left in the 70's, it's what I like and I will do it regardless of your input, soon as I'm done I'll make sure to post a pic just to make you mad, lol

something else that might aggravate you that bike was pristine before I got it
    your an asswipe and always will be one, looking for negativety and feed off it.

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
      your an asswipe and always will be one, looking for negativety and feed off it.
      Don't feed the trolls!

Comment

You want to destroy a perfectly great running bike (somehow I doubt it's running well) so be it; don't expect every one of us to like it. But, since you said it was perfect and you only bought it for $300, did you bother to clean the carbs, adjust the valves, replace the tires and probably 30 year old brake lines, or heck even clean out the brake calipers and master cylinders?

Please make sure it is running well before you cut it up.

And I said what I did earlier about bringing up this old thread not to make you think you ****ed me off but to realize no one is probably going to respond to it as their accounts looked to have expired long ago.
        Last edited by cowboyup3371; 06-10-2012, 07:47 PM.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          You want to destroy a perfectly great running bike (somehow I doubt it's running well) so be it; don't expect every one of us to like it. But, since you said it was perfect and you only bought it for $300, did you bother to clean the carbs, adjust the valves, replace the tires and probably 30 year old brake lines, or heck even clean out the brake calipers and master cylinders?

Please make sure it is running well before you cut it up.

And I said what I did earlier about bringing up this old thread not to make you think you ****ed me off but to realize no one is probably going to respond to it as their accounts looked to have expired long ago.

It does run very good. all brake lines are good, and 1000+miles on brand new tires, the bike sat in a barn for nine years, until I rescued it. chain is lubed, everything else has been checked out. it runs strong, the gear ratio is a lil close, tops out a lil to soon. it's revs pretty high at 70.it only has one thing really not cool with it right now, it has a small gasket leak off the top front of the motor,( not a huge leak). I haven't checked the valves yet, the carbs are fine, they run a little lean but that is because the air filters I put on her, will be adjusting to that here soon. I like the bike, it runs solid and just how I thought it would,I just want something that will stay running and go fast, but I also like the styling of a cruiser that rides low and honestly the harleys are over priced and as I hear it, always need something fixed.I didn't realize this thread was that old.

old skool, I didn't start the smack talking, I just posted a question, hoping that there where others on this thread that was looking to do what( or already did) the same thing as I'm looking into. then I got flamed by everyone.

I could of bought a new bike with the styling I wanted, but I am very far from rich and I am supporting two kids and my wife on my income. so This was the only route I had to go. I got a little knowledge about what I'm doing, but your right I ain't a complete expert. which is why I was trying to get some info. maybe this thread should be named anti rat bike/bobber, lol
          Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2012, 10:32 PM.

Comment

It's cool. People just hate when someone does a sweet chop/bob, but doesn't post the pics.

Give us a before pic to start.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
              It's cool. People just hate when someone does a sweet chop/bob, but doesn't post the pics.

Give us a before pic to start.
              love to but,for some reason I can't get the pic uploader to work.
              thats really annoying. can't even put it on the avitar!!

this link should get you some pics, will update here in a lil, adding backrest sissy bars here soon
              Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Not trying to hate...honest. But if you like the cruiser styling why not look at an L model GS rather than the more 'standard' street bike model.

You'll start with a bike that is already a lot further down the path you are looking at and may not require the 'chopping' that upsets so many here.

I see L models all the time on craigslist. They aren't my style so I ignore them.

If yours is a runner you should be able to get what you put into yours and hell might even be able to find someone willing to trade their L for yours.

Although, looking at the pictures again, chopping the mufflers probably lost you about $200 value at least. Those things, if they were in good shape, hard to find.

Comment

It does run very good. all brake lines are good, and 1000+miles on brand new tires, the bike sat in a barn for nine years, until I rescued it. chain is lubed, everything else has been checked out. it runs strong, the gear ratio is a lil close, tops out a lil to soon. it's revs pretty high at 70.it only has one thing really not cool with it right now, it has a small gasket leak off the top front of the motor,( not a huge leak). I haven't checked the valves yet, the carbs are fine, they run a little lean but that is because the air filters I put on her, will be adjusting to that here soon. I like the bike, it runs solid and just how I thought it would,I just want something that will stay running and go fast, but I also like the styling of a cruiser that rides low and honestly the harleys are over priced and as I hear it, always need something fixed.I didn't realize this thread was that old.

old skool, I didn't start the smack talking, I just posted a question, hoping that there where others on this thread that was looking to do what( or already did) the same thing as I'm looking into. then I got flamed by everyone.

I could of bought a new bike with the styling I wanted, but I am very far from rich and I am supporting two kids and my wife on my income. so This was the only route I had to go. I got a little knowledge about what I'm doing, but your right I ain't a complete expert. which is why I was trying to get some info. maybe this thread should be named anti rat bike/bobber, lol
                  (red highlight) Guess what..you just acted like you wanted to be part of the forum, the community instead of a one poster who jumped in and asked how to cut up their bike, do you remember my response before, wasn't really a flaming, here...re-read it--->Didn't mean to be so crass, but as of late, we have had many new guys who's only goal is to cut up a bike and show it to us, no real build thread, no safety or improvements in mind, a sawzall and a can of rattle flat black paint, and they think they've become a builder, so your welcome to post an intro, who you are, what you ride, and even start a build thread if you like, be part of the forum, it's a community. One post or low post, "how do I cut up my bike post" don't usually fly to well here, we have many talented owners with cafe/bobber/etc builds here that are very nice, rat bikes...not so many.
                  I think you've yet to understand this is not a bobber/cafe cut it up site, but a site that respects a particular genre of bikes, and a community that DOES help others out, just like you. But as of late, we've been inundated with new posters, with no sense of protocol, or understanding of our forum, stick their hand out, and say gimme! Sound familiar?? All anyone ask is, you consider what the site is, you didn't even take the time to understand it, you read an interesting, (bit old) thread, created a user, and at the very least, what we would call "high-jacking someone else's thread" for your own wants.

Re-read the blue, consider it a "start over" try an intro in the proper area(GS owners), let us know where your from, kinda bike, etc, you already started, by identifying yourself with most of us here, family people, not rich bike builders, that's for sure. You might like it here, you might not, you might be just interested in just some info about cutting up your bike, there are other sites for that, this is not one of them. We have many talented builders whom have chosen various cafe/bobber etc builds, but not like this.

Sorry this became a novel, hopefully, you'll gain something from it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                    Although, looking at the pictures again, chopping the mufflers probably lost you about $200 value at least. Those things, if they were in good shape, hard to find.
                    Not only value, but power and run-ability, these old Suzie's don't like running cut up exhaust or without their original air boxes, they can run this way, but now you have a great deal of added expense as you'll probably need a stage 3 dynojet kit, along with a lot of carb tinkering. Your shooting yourself in the foot before you get started, this is what happens when you jump in head first with no plan or information.

Comment

Originally posted by MAJikMARCer View Post
                      Not trying to hate...honest. But if you like the cruiser styling why not look at an L model GS rather than the more 'standard' street bike model.

You'll start with a bike that is already a lot further down the path you are looking at and may not require the 'chopping' that upsets so many here.

I see L models all the time on craigslist. They aren't my style so I ignore them.

If yours is a runner you should be able to get what you put into yours and hell might even be able to find someone willing to trade their L for yours.

(red highlight) Guess what..you just acted like you wanted to be part of the forum, the community instead of a one poster who jumped in and asked how to cut up their bike, do you remember my response before, wasn't really a flaming, here...re-read it--->Didn't mean to be so crass, but as of late, we have had many new guys who's only goal is to cut up a bike and show it to us, no real build thread, no safety or improvements in mind, a sawzall and a can of rattle flat black paint, and they think they've become a builder, so your welcome to post an intro, who you are, what you ride, and even start a build thread if you like, be part of the forum, it's a community. One post or low post, "how do I cut up my bike post" don't usually fly to well here, we have many talented owners with cafe/bobber/etc builds here that are very nice, rat bikes...not so many.
                      I think you've yet to understand this is not a bobber/cafe cut it up site, but a site that respects a particular genre of bikes, and a community that DOES help others out, just like you. But as of late, we've been inundated with new posters, with no sense of protocol, or understanding of our forum, stick their hand out, and say gimme! Sound familiar?? All anyone ask is, you consider what the site is, you didn't even take the time to understand it, you read an interesting, (bit old) thread, created a user, and at the very least, what we would call "high-jacking someone else's thread" for your own wants.

Re-read the blue, consider it a "start over" try an intro in the proper area(GS owners), let us know where your from, kinda bike, etc, you already started, by identifying yourself with most of us here, family people, not rich bike builders, that's for sure. You might like it here, you might not, you might be just interested in just some info about cutting up your bike, there are other sites for that, this is not one of them. We have many talented builders whom have chosen various cafe/bobber etc builds, but not like this.

Sorry this became a novel, hopefully, you'll gain something from it.

the exhaust isn't cut just removed from where they slide over the header pipes, I can put it back just like it was stock, still with no problems,(still got the pipes 4 to 2). was trying to get room for saddle bags, main purpose for the experiment, little bit for the sound. I'm a big guy got a big leather coat, need big saddle bag. concerned about it rubbing an burning over the pipes. looking for a way to get pipes that aren't upswept.the exhaust did nothing (at least not noticeable) to the bikes performance, as soon as the air cleaner was added, it's a little choppy around 5000 rpm and up and it's a little more cold blooded than it used to be, even tho it was already cold blooded. as I've heard these bikes are cold blooded. found an jet kit for the carbs and thought about going that route, if I leaned it out, then maybe fatten up the gas should help. or I have read there is an air adjustment on the carbs. maybe taking that in a 1/4 turn should help also.

ok I see what your saying I didn't mean to steal someone elses thread like that, thought maybe this was for all guys with a mod project in mine, and many others would be on here.
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I've heard these bikes are cold blooded..
                        big misnomer, not true, fat lie told by others when they can't and have no idea how to make their bike run right, mine will start same as it does now in freezing weather, only takes a smidgen longer to warm up. Also, just because your bike still runs with these changes, doesn't mean unseen things aren't happening, like running lean, very bad for valves and motor, check your plug color, likely turning white, will discolor your exhaust, bet your headers are running way hotter now, more air means it needs more fuel. I found a neat tuning tool for this is an infrared laser thermometer, fairly cheap on ebay or harbor freight, I use it check temps between the different pipes, can tell you a lot on how the bike is running.

Comment

big misnomer, not true, fat lie told by others when they can't and have no idea how to make their bike run right, mine will start same as it does now in freezing weather, only takes a smidgen longer to warm up. Also, just because your bike still runs with these changes, doesn't mean unseen things aren't happening, like running lean, very bad for valves and motor, check your plug color, likely turning white, will discolor your exhaust, bet your headers are running way hotter now, more air means it needs more fuel. I found a neat tuning tool for this is an infrared laser thermometer, fairly cheap on ebay or harbor freight, I use it check temps between the different pipes, can tell you a lot on how the bike is running.
                          I got one already, what would be the normal temps may I ask??

also were in this world did you find that backrest? I absolutely have been looking everywhere for one, I gave up and settled for making one myself.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

I got one already, what would be the normal temps may I ask??

also were in this world did you find that backrest? I absolutely have been looking everywhere for one, I gave up and settled for making one myself.

Don't remember what my temperatures were, I can take another reading and let you know, might be a couple days though, also, it's imperitive you read the same place each time, usually up high at the first bend.

The backrest is from a XS1100 i found on ebay, sold the yammy in favor of the GS, and made minimal modification for it to work.
                            better view without the backpak

Comment

Working...
                            X