gs1000 bobber/rat build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4x4fab.com View Post
    Ha, yeah it does motivate me a little. However, I've got to finish cleanin the place up, and install some more lights. The electrician is coming to install a 200 amp service this week, and I gotta buid 2 atv bumpers this week.
    I think I have some material for your frame sleaves, I just need to order some tubing the same Ø as the frame. It may be a week or two before I get to mess around your bike though.
    BTW, I like the 12 gauge shells, nice touch.
    No problem. The shotgun shells were an attempt to fill that empty hole w/ something other than a flat plug, which seems to be what alot of guys do. After the frame gets coated or painted, I'll sand em back to brass then clear em. I had em and they were free, and like I said, I'm buildin this thing on a vision and little cash...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
      Ill be extending my swinger and altering the gusset plate where you had yours. Im going to mount the new one at roughly a 45* and have the upper coming off the rear engine cage down tubesAfter I extend my swinger I should have the clearence to lower the seat. Still a work in progress though. You gonna run a compressor or a spare air tank? I had thought about a little 45/4500 paintball tank. I have a couple regulators that are low to high pressure and very adjustable. You can pick them up in Steel, aluminum, fiberglass and carbon fiber. Ive got an old steel and a fiberglass sitting around from my days playing.

That would work. It would just suck to run out of air. I have a small 12v compressor, and a small airtank. On the mock up of my plumbing, I installed a valve so I could add air from another source (gas station pump, whatever) incase my compressor ever fails. And plus, I could fill my system before I leave my house if I don't wanna run the pump. Bad thing is of course I can only fill to about 145 psi. Meaning I will need to run the pump everytime I raise the bike. Your idea would be great, especially with some sort of back up compressor..

Comment

That would work. It would just suck to run out of air. I have a small 12v compressor, and a small airtank. On the mock up of my plumbing, I installed a valve so I could add air from another source (gas station pump, whatever) incase my compressor ever fails. And plus, I could fill my system before I leave my house if I don't wanna run the pump. Bad thing is of course I can only fill to about 145 psi. Meaning I will need to run the pump everytime I raise the bike. Your idea would be great, especially with some sort of back up compressor..
        The PB tank regs I have have on/offs. So once you set the pressure in the bag, you just shut off the tank. And these tanks are cheap to fill, you can even take them to a scuba shop if you dont have a paintball pro shop near.

Comment

I am considering going a similar route with my 78 GS1000. Instead of an air bag I want to Mono shock it or, to be different, put 2 smaller shocks side by side like a mono shock would be. Looking at your pictures answered a lot of my questions of "where the hell am I gonna put the battery and all the electrical stuff?". The answer is, "now I really dont know". I'm not really going for the as low as it can go look but I don’t want it to look like a dirt bike either.

This is what it looked like before I took everything apart to get rebuilt or cleaned up. There is still a lot of work I need to do to get it on the road from where it was before I took it apart. SO I got a lot of work ahead of me.

Comment

BTW, I like the 12 gauge shells, nice touch.
            Where are these said shells located on the bike? They would work well with the design on my tank.

Comment

The shells are on po-boys bike where you cut your frame off behind the seat..... I too considered a mono shock a while back. I have a 94 Kawasaki kdx 200 that I consider using the swingarm, shock, forks and wheels from. I figured it would be too much weigt for the forks to perform even decent, and plus I ended up restoring the kaw.

Comment

I was hoping thats where they were at. Good to know if I decide not to go monoshock. I like what you are doing with your bike, looks good.

This bike is where I got my monoshock inspiration from.

Comment

like yalls building, I am looking to do an hard tail bobber on my 78 gse, any one know about finding extended forks for it, not looking for insane ones but an extra 4" would be cool???

also what kind of bracing would need to be done to the frame if I went hardtail???
                  I've seen many cut everything off behind the tank and weld a tube from below the tank to the swingarm, any additional bracing needed beyond that??

thanks in advance for any advice!!

Comment

Nice.

It looks awesome. Great progress your are making.

Comment

You both do realize this thread is about 3 years old and hasn't been touched for about that long?
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not to mention a couple more noob frame cutters, are you guys getting kicked off all the bobber sites?

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          You both do realize this thread is about 3 years old and hasn't been touched for about that long?
                          Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                          Not to mention a couple more noob frame cutters, are you guys getting kicked off all the bobber sites?

ok then, sorry I bothered you. no havn't got kicked off anything, just seen guys turning there rides into bobbers and love the look.

Comment

Originally posted by wcrase View Post
                            ok then, sorry I bothered you. no haven't got kicked off anything, just seen guys turning there rides into bobbers and love the look.
                            Didn't mean to be so crass, but as of late, we have had many new guys who's only goal is to cut up a bike and show it to us, no real build thread, no safety or improvements in mind, a sawzall and a can of rattle flat black paint, and they think they've become a builder, so your welcome to post an intro, who you are, what you ride, and even start a build thread if you like, be part of the forum, it's a community. One post or low post, "how do I cut up my bike post" don't usually fly to well here, we have many tallented owners with cafe/bobber/etc builds here that are very nice, rat bikes...not so many.

Comment

Originally posted by tpo1990 View Post
                              It looks awesome. Great progress your are making.
                              And just where is this picture that makes you say that it looks awesome?
                              BTW, hard-tails and extended front ends on bikes pretty much left us in the late 70's thankfully.
                              Just how OLD are you guys anyway?

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                                And just where is this picture that makes you say that it looks awesome?
                                BTW, hard-tails and extended front ends on bikes pretty much left us in the late 70's thankfully.
                                Just how OLD are you guys anyway?

Eric
                                32, and I like building sorry if you guys get so upset about cutting up an jap bike. I want extended forks because I'm 6'5" be really nice to have room for extended highway pegs. not looking for more rake,

Is this thread based in japan or something???

can't believe the negative feedback. I bought the $300.00 bike looking to mod it, if I wouldn't have seen those builds I wouldn't even bother with it.
                                I don't care if that fade left in the 70's, it's what I like and I will do it regardless of your input, soon as I'm done I'll make sure to post a pic just to make you mad, lol

something else that might aggravate you that bike was pristine before I got it
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2012, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X