Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BassCliff GS850GT Top End Refresh

Hello friends,

I spent a little time in the "man cave" today getting ready to replace gaskets, rings, and other assorted bits in the top end of my "Jessie".

Here's where we start. (Pretty good looking old bike, eh?)

The airbox had actually started to slip away from the carbs. I imagine I had a slight air leak as at least three of the airbox boots were loose.

Tank, seat, battery, and side covers removed.

Airbox removed. You can see one of Jessie's oil catching pads there on the base gasket.

After removing the top two bolts holding the airbox it just fell out. I guess the boots were really loose. Oops.

Next, the carbs came out. They were still really snug. You can also see the other oil catching pad at the head gasket on this side.

Intake boots removed.

After loosening up the jam nut a little on the cam chain tensioner, it was removed.

That thing is filthy. I'll be rebuilding it too.

Just a couple of shots to show you where the main spring sticks into the knurled knob and the body of the tensioner.

A few more pictures in the next post.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2013, 02:56 AM.

Hi,

I'm trying to stay organized.

I've collected a lot of Altoids tins and I find them handy for keeping all those little bits organized. Keep the clamps, screws, etc, for each sub-assembly all together. From left to right you see the airbox clamps and bolts, the intake boot clamps and fasteners, the cam chain tensioner and bolts, and the highway bar bolts.

And here's where I left her until next week, if not sooner. I'll start on the valve cover and work my way down.

I didn't bother to set #1 cylinder at TDC when I removed the cam chain tensioner. I figured since I'm taking the cams off anyway that I can get it all lined up and timed later during reassembly.

This is going to be fun!

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2013, 02:42 AM.

Comment

Hey Cliff,

What are you riding while Jessie is down?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I sense another great tutorial in the making

Comment

This for fun or was she getting tired?

Comment

Subscribed. I remember seeing your bike for the first time at Bruces and took a keen interest in your remedy for oil loss, I've shared that tidbit with many a new biker that I've met I'm guessing this one will be added to you site when you're done Cliff. I'm a fan of Altoids as well.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Excellent. I love that you are doing this. I will have to do this same thing on my bike one day, but not today.

Comment

Cliff, I echo what tkent02 said- I wanted to go riding with you guys this summer since we didn't do a ride last year. But it's good to get Jessie all fixed up.
                NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

BC- your Awesome and that bike looks great- but if those parts were in ALtoids tins where I have worked, other mechanics would have used blunt force trauma on me!!!!!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by BIG_brother View Post
                    This for fun or was she getting tired?
                    Over the last couple of years it had developed a couple of oil leaks that just kept getting worse until I finally decided to buy a gasket kit and replace everything from the base gasket up. I'll also be replacing the O-rings in the carbs, clutch springs (there has been a little slipping), rebuild the cam chain tensioner, and just generally freshen everything up.

It's been running great at 65,000 miles. I was hoping to put this off for another 20,000 miles or so but I got tired of oil on my boots and pants. I ride about 10,000 miles a year so I want to get it all done right while it's down. I'm sure this is going to take at least a couple of weeks between my three jobs and family. But it will be fun. Stay tuned. Thanks for watching.

No, I don't have anything else to ride while Jessie is down. I've got a friend or two in the area who I'm sure would lend me a bike but I don't want to ask and I would not accept if they offered. As long as I'm not riding it will be incentive to hurry this project along as much as possible. Commuting to work in my Astro van takes over $50 a week and I can do it for less than $20 a week on Jessie. So there's a financial incentive too.

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to watching you work on yours.
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        I sense another great tutorial in the making
                        Hope he manages to submit it to that rock-n-rollin' librarian guy that maintains a "little website".

I wonder if he is referencing that "little website" during the rebuild?

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Watching this thread with keen interest! Thanks for posting.
                          What material are the oil catch pads made from Cliff?

Comment

I like the idea of keeping related bits together. My 1000's top end is in disposable sandwich-sized tupperware tubs while I wait on correct orings.
                            Dogma
                            --
                            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                            '80 GS850 GLT
                            '80 GS1000 GT
                            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

my first thought was, "why didn't he do this over the winter?" hahahahaha

what winter, right californ-i-a?
                              2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                              82 gs1100L probably the next project
                              1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                              https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                              1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Working...
                              X