No announcement yet.

BassCliff GS850GT Top End Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I've used gasket remover it was pretty useless in the fact that it wouldn't take anymore than the very top surface off, so I'd spray it let it sit and then scrap it off with the blade. When I get down to the final layer near the head it's like being a surgeon. I've done two that way with no issues but I do agree you have to be very careful and very patient. I stopped taking count of how long it took me, long enough that's for sure. I tried the wire wheel route but had no success, maybe next time I'll try your suggestions.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Good tutorial BassCliff. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
        I'm actually reading the manual as I go but I'm sure I'll still have a few questions.
        Don't forget to check BassCliff's "little website", he probably has something on there for you.

The best gasket scraper I have is an old 1/2" wood chisel. I keep it sharp, so it does not take much effort to get under the gasket and lift it up.
        The key is to keep the tool flat to the work so there is no chance of gouging it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve,

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Don't forget to check BassCliff's "little website", he probably has something on there for you.

The best gasket scraper I have is an old 1/2" wood chisel. I keep it sharp, so it does not take much effort to get under the gasket and lift it up.
          The key is to keep the tool flat to the work so there is no chance of gouging it.
          Ha! Thanks, Steve. I check out that guy's website and see if it's any good.

Thanks to everyone for all the gasket removal advice. It sounds like that's going to be the toughest, most time consuming part of this project. I really appreciate all your insight and experience.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
            Good tutorial BassCliff. Thanks for sharing.

Ed
            +1 on that. Thanks very much for sharing. Good job so far.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Cliff

I recommend a thorough exam of the cam chain guides and possible replacement

They are 30 years old, you know
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Basscliff,

Where did you get the hex screws for the circular cylinder head side covers? I just finished adjusting the valves on my 750 and had one heck of a time getting those off. I actually broke two bits on one screw.

Sorry to hijack and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                  (Do the marks above mean that the #1 piston is at the top of the compression stroke or exhaust stroke?)

BassCliff
                  Compression...

Dowels won't be an issue.
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 05-29-2013, 03:10 PM.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by GelandeStrasse View Post
                    Watching this thread with keen interest! Thanks for posting.
                    What material are the oil catch pads made from Cliff?
                    Thanks Cliff for the great photos and detailed description.

I'm expecting to go down a similar track to replace carb inlet rubbers and O rings. This will be my reference.
                    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
                    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
                    1977 GS400
                    1974 Montesa 250
                    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

This is great, BC - I'm actually doing the exact same thing on my 850 but am a couple of steps behind you.

I'm really glad you're posting these pics!

Comment

Wow! very helpful as always. Thanks for the thread and those great pics.
                        1982 GS1100G

....I've learned alot by making stupid mistakes..

Comment

Best thing I've found to soften the base gasket is Permatex gasket remover spray. Shoot some in a cup, then dab it on with a small brush. Stuff takes about half a day to soften the gasket, and it will take several applications before you get all the gasket off.

Took my head and cylinder to a machine shop to get them surfaced, and the owner told me he gets lots of heads (auto) with damaged gasket surfaces after people take power tools to the things trying to remove gaskets. Says he's made a lot of money machining heads after someone took those 3M pads to them.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

BC, great series of pics and dialog! Your Jesse Blue looks alot like my Ol' Blue 1981 GS850G, other than the round turn signals (mine are rectangular). Bought Ol' Blue in PHX new, back when I had money to spend...

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Johno View Post
                              Thanks Cliff for the great photos and detailed description.

I'm expecting to go down a similar track to replace carb inlet rubbers and O rings. This will be my reference.
                              You might want to have a look at this "how to" guide (PDF file).

Air Intake Repair:
                              (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

And this page by a real guru, Mr. bwringer:
                              Replace intake boot o-rings

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                                Compression...

Dowels won't be an issue.
                                Thank you! As I suspected. Thank you for the confirmation.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                                X