No announcement yet.

BassCliff GS850GT Top End Refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice music stand. Wish you the best. Sometimes you just have to roll with it....and then roll on it when you can.....
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post

Hey, I saw Glendora, in the news, on fire. Is that one of your favorite roads ?
      Yes, the fire broke out along one end of GMR. I think they'll have the fire out by the time I have Jessie back together.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I sure am glad to see that you're still around Cliff, been wondering if you had finished it up already.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hey Cliff I have a spare 850 motor if you want it ?? 3 new clutch springs too

Comment

Man, I've been waiting for you to finish this thread for me to give it a try. I'm sure it's been posted a million times over, but what brand gaskets do you prefer? Where do you get them from? I've heard that some people like certain brands over others.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizardofwizdom View Post
              Man, I've been waiting for you to finish this thread for me to give it a try. I'm sure it's been posted a million times over, but what brand gaskets do you prefer? Where do you get them from? I've heard that some people like certain brands over others.
              It's been discussed around here quite a bit. OEM gaskets are the only safe bet, especially for the base gasket o-rings. Vesrah has been known to fail there by a few of us. Cometic and Athena head gaskets have also been questioned. Pretty much all the other seals in the engine have been relatively trouble free with non-OEM, though differences in quality have been noted. We're notoriously cheap around here, but we've learned the hard way to bend that rule on this issue.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hey Cliff - I began a rebuild at about the same time you did and, like you, I'm not quite done either! My solution was to buy a Suzuki Bandit 1200s to ride until I get this project finished, hopefully in the next month or so.

I just couldn't go that long without a ride! I'm actually looking forward to having two bikes.

I just got the new rings installed last week.

Comment

Any progress? I don't see how you could go so long without a bike.

Thinking of redoing the top end of my GS1000G sometime in the near future. This project of yours has inspired me to do it. Just need to see that it hasn't killed you.

Sure would like to see this one complete. This is one of those more "intimidating" projects that many of us would like to do but are apprehensive about. Write-ups like this are sorely needed.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Bump! Bump!

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Damn, followed this thread as a guide to tear it all down....please finish the thread so I can put it back together!

Comment

BC is apparently a little busy with Team Rodent these days. He drops in from time to time, but we don't know when he'll be resuming this mission.
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Well, I guess I'll just read this thread backwards

Comment

Hey BassCliff, so what ever happened. Is she still apart?

Comment

Due to a broken valve guide I am planning to do the same thing. It is a brilliant guide until now, but this is a very looong cliffhanger, BassCliff
                              sigpic
                              1978 GS1000 EC

Comment

Working...
                              X