No announcement yet.

GS1100G Road Runner Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hampshire - I bit the bullet and bought some OEM from Robinsons. I will use those on my restoration project and the others I had "in stock" were K & Ls I got from Canada. so those are going in my Road Runner Project.

Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Crap Torque Arm Bolt

Need to be a little careful with this bike now. Obviously the PO was into short cuts. Why would you replace one of the most crucial bolts on the bike with a dime store look a like?

This is what I found on the rear torque arm:

I am not an engineer. But even I could guess that this bolt is going to be subject to a huge amount of shear when the brakes are fully applied.

So let's get a proper one please:

Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

that "fire spitting" with the pipe on would just be popping and I would sync the carbs and hopefully it will stop... cue an expert?

Comment

Duff plug? That's what it was on Simon's bike. Simple one to check anyway, swap the plugs around.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

My Baby Spits Fire At ME !!

It was a beautiful day here today and I just had to give it a go. Got the bike insured and set off.

My newly refurbished brakes we just about good enough after some pumping. I expect they will bed in after a while.

The motor was not as smooth as I remember them being and when I got home I checked the plugs and took off the header pipes and ran it without them for a little while. No. 1 cylinder is overly rich and spitting fire at me.

See: My GS1100G - Road Runner Project Blog - It Spits Fire

No. 1 looks like this:

the others are like this:

See the: Fire Spitting GS1100 Video
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Question from a novice: Are the valves with specification? Is # 1 closing completely?

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie - Good point. I did all the valve clearances and no. 1 cylinder has the largest clearances of all of them - between .007 and .009.

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                  Charlie - Good point. I did all the valve clearances and no. 1 cylinder has the largest clearances of all of them - between .007 and .009.

Greetings
                  Just making sure here, is that "seven to nine thousandths of an inch" or a mis-type that really means "seven to nine hundredths of a milimeter"?
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve - thou and inches!

Greetings
                    Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you've got it covered. Cheers.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Oil Seeping Into Cyclinder no. 1

Getting smoke from cylinder no. 1 BUT only when bike is stationery and propped on it's side stand.

See my thread in Engine/Drivetrain/Clutch section:

Oil Ingress Into No.1 Cylinder

Here's the 30 sec video if you do not want to go to the thread:

Suzuki GS1100G Smoking From No. 1

Help!

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Is it just me or do you _actually_ have an appropriate beer for every occasion?
                          Charles
                          --
                          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Eil - yes that's funny. I didn't notice that before!

It's called Spitfire and it's brewed by Shepherd Neame in Kent, UK so it's a local beer for me and I very much enjoy it. I had no idea honestly.

The brewery had a funny advertising campaign with this beer a couple of years ago (at the time of the 60 year celebration of VE day). Across all it's pubs it had the slogan:

"Spitfire - No Fokkers get close"

Greetings
                            Richard
                            sigpic

Comment

MOT Tested and On the Road

Passed the MOT today with no advisories so get it taxed and on the road at last. Went for a congratulatory spin. Brakes are bedding in nicely now.

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

It looks sharp! Enjoyed the information about the Hops kiln. (Oast?)
                                sigpic
                                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                                X