No announcement yet.

Getting more interested in 2-up riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife and I have been riding 2up since our first date, near 35 years ago. Started on a Sporster, moved to an old Electra Glide (very comfy, not sporty). After that the GS1100E served well for many years. Right now we have a '99 Triumph Trophy, which works very well for two. Sadly, the wife quite riding about 6 years ago.

But our absolute favorite sporty, 2up, long distance bike, was our BMW K1100RS. We had both a '94, and a '95.
    A very basic ABS system, but it works. Outstanding at covering highway miles, and a darn nice bike when the road gets twisty.

Unlike the later models, you can work on it. With the sideways four cylinder, the valves are a snap to check, and not bad to adjust.
    Overall, I never needed a dealer for anything except a few parts.

I'd have another in a heartbeat, if I had the space. (Also, my wife would not be happy, as she already thinks four is too many)
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

What about an early model Valkyrie?
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
        This Larry agrees with ^^^^that Larry. The older Goldwings come up for sale quite often and are very affordable. I only owned 1 honda in my life and I had a real love/hate relationship with it. I loved the fact it never needed anything more than routine oil and filter changes. But, the hate side of it was all the time it took to remove the tupperware to work on that v-4 engine.
        I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than have to work on that engine.

Having said all of that, I sold it with 144,000 miles on it and it was still running like a new one.
        I wonder if by chance you might be referring to a Honda ST. They're dripping with plastic and are V4 engines. An early-mid 80's Goldwing Interstate's flat 4 engine is totally accessible. Maybe a couple of fairing lowers to remove for some models, but just a couple of screws hold those on. 100,000+ miles for a well-taken care of 'wing is common.
        1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
          Isn't that a Japanese Bagger wannabe?
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by nvr2old View Post

I wonder if by chance you might be referring to a Honda ST. They're dripping with plastic and are V4 engines. An early-mid 80's Goldwing Interstate's flat 4 engine is totally accessible. Maybe a couple of fairing lowers to remove for some models, but just a couple of screws hold those on. 100,000+ miles for a well-taken care of 'wing is common.
            Yes, that was the ST1100, the 2nd one listed in my signature.

Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I test rode an ST1100 a few weeks ago and was not really impressed much.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I spend a whole day on one out in Phoenix a few years ago. It's an ok bike but I really wouldn't buy one. And the back seat is nothing compared to the lazy boy on the back of a Goldwing.
                Current Bikes:

Comment

Funny a fellow down the road a ways had a 20xx BMW and an 81-83? gold wing for sale this summer
                  Wing is long gone BMW still for sale.
                  Nice thing about the old Wing is if it broke down yah could roll it in a ditch
                  the BMW seems to invite the desperate fallacy of in for a penny in for a pound.

Most BMW guys Ive met are too rich to have a brain. A few though buy up sweet rides when the TCO finally hits the original purchaser. If you can turn a wrench at all and actually do the often simple maintenance they last and run well.

Mind you I rode with a motley crew a while back and one guy had a sweet k1600 and it was majestic when it left my k1300 behind.
                  Like that quote about how the Battlestar Galactica looked when it abandoned the colonial viper pilots to their fate.

I've no idea why the german arrogance related to engineering does not translate to fact. Tell me of a Japanese bike that regularly eats it final drives and shafts and I will buy you a hamburger at Wendy's

for myself I am glad thet my kbike's PO bought the insanely expensive cosmetic CF rear seat cover. Now no one can ask for a ride!!!! I despise a passenger. They are dangerous and as trainable as a Zebra. They are a constant shifting load. The only one that never caused me pain was a long time biker.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Just wanting to pile on BMW owners with too much cash I joined a group ride pre-covid and there were an assortment of rides and one brand new fancy ass BMW.

The owner was quite proud of himself and enjoying the attention his ride got it was good looking bike. Genuinely not knowing much about the latest BMW tech and as the bike was enclosed in plastic I asked what kind of engine his bike had. "What" he answered, I asked again "Is it a flat twin, transverse four, six, twin what's under all the plastic?" "Ahhhh I don't know" was the answer.

The guy clearly had too much cash as he could afford to buy a high end bike and never intended to do his own maintenance.
                    Last edited by wyly; 09-27-2022, 09:21 PM.
                    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Isn't that a Japanese Bagger wannabe?
                      You mean like the Honda Shadow, the Kawasaki Vulcan, etc. etc.
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

I’ve got a 2016 triumph trophy se with all the creature comforts and farkles you could want. Was purchased for my wife and I to ride to Motogp a a couple years back but COVID came along and the race was canceled, we had a baby, and she doesn’t ride with me anymore. Needless to say it’s got sub 10k miles with all maintenance up to date.

I test drove several sport tourers (bmw, kaw, yam etc…)and settled on the trophy. Great bike that has everything one could want and out performs others in the category

want more details? Let me know.
                        83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post

You mean like the Honda Shadow, the Kawasaki Vulcan, etc. etc.
                          Well kind of except it has the short screen and bags like a bagger too
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                            Maybe I can just have the seat redone by Russell Daylong to include making the rear seat area like the front.
                            I have had a Russell seat, as well as one from their predecessor, Mayer (Mayer retired, sold the business to Russell). Wonderful creations. If you already have the front done, it won't cost much to do the rear to match. Do you have a trunk mounted? Or at least some sort of "anti slide-back" protection for her?

Comment

I have in the past done many a fun mile two up on my 850s. I always had a box with a backrest on the back. Any of the G models provide a good passenger perch with a broad, flat seat. I had a BMW RT for a while and found I preferred the G model Suzukis on just about every measure except looks. The Beemer was a beautiful bike but there was no question which I would choose for a cross country ride--Suzuki hands down.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                                I have had a Russell seat, as well as one from their predecessor, Mayer (Mayer retired, sold the business to Russell). Wonderful creations. If you already have the front done, it won't cost much to do the rear to match. Do you have a trunk mounted? Or at least some sort of "anti slide-back" protection for her?
                                I called Russell Daylong and it will cost me almost as much as the seat originally cost me several years ago just to have the rear redone and the whole thing recovered. They've gone up considrably.
                                Current Bikes:

Comment

Working...
                                X