Gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diver... I have no clue!!!
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Again, thanks everyone for the unbelievable response to my query.
      Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
        The Registration Certificate has the same Frame and Engine numbers as is on the bike.
        Date of first Registration is listed as 01 January 1979.
        Unlikely that your bike was initially registered on New Years Day seeing as how government offices would have been closed. The earliest release date I could find anywhere mentioned for the 850 was February, 1979. As of the the January, 1979 issue of Cycle World pricing for the new 850 had not yet been announced.

I suspect that the registration you have was produced later in the life of the bike using numbers taken from the bike at that time and using the first day of 1979 because the actual date was unknown but assumed to be in 1979. I am not sure of the circumstances in which that would have been necessary. If I had to guess I would say it was a 1980 model sold in late 1979 but then why the points ignition? You might could check to see what history there is with your DMV.

None of this is germane to your question. It's just damn curious The engine is post 1979 with CV carbs; if you do as Nessism says you will have a good result.

Pictures. Pictures of this hybrid beast would be most interesting to examine.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
          Just a couple of little details, 1980 changed the turn signals from round to rectangle,
          That change actually was between 1980 and 1981. I have one of each in my garage.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Well, sorry. hoping now I wasn't wrong about the turn signal / headlight button. If I get 1 out of 3, not bad for me these days..
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I would love to know the real history of the bike, however, I think that would be pretty hard to establish at this stage.

I will get my Daughter to put some photos up over the next few days. At 74 I wouldn't be great with this new technology, hence the reason I ride a 1979 motorbike.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Well, sorry. hoping now I wasn't wrong about the turn signal / headlight button. If I get 1 out of 3, not bad for me these days..
                Not to worry. 1980 got the always on headlight.

Nature bats last.

Comment

My head light is constantly on with Ignition.

Comment

So many changes over the yrs. "79" started the always on headlight, I think "80" started the same button for hi-lo and L and R turn.

Comment

Without a kickstart, the engine is definitely NOT a 1979 model year engine. The CV carbs is another telling sign. Most markets around the world got an electronic ignition in 1980, but not all. Suzuki delayed the implementation in some countries, South Africa for example. Maybe Ireland also? Or, the engine was changed at some time in the last 43 years?

The 1980 model year bikes also received a different brake system, with slotted rotors and rectangular master cylinder ('79 has a round master,) the calipers are different too, a different turn signal system, with square button switch slide on the LH hand control, vs a toggle switch R and L switch in 1979. Between these things, it should be possible to date the model year of the bike...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I am totally lost now. Would the Frame and Engine numbers not indicate the year, as with British Bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                          I am totally lost now. Would the Frame and Engine numbers not indicate the year, as with British Bikes.
                          Chassis number is the only definitive vehicle identification, everything else could have been changed the past 4+ decades.

Check these :

For the 1979 GS850GN, the chassis numbers start at 100370, 1980 GS850GT chassis start at 116457.

So that would confirm your chassis no. 102736 as 1979 GS850GN.

The 1979 engine had a kickstart as others said.
                          No kickstart = later model engine, the original engine was swapped.
                          Last edited by Rijko; 10-23-2023, 04:21 PM.
                          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Brilliant. Much appreciated

Comment

Rijko... Dang it amazes me the things ya'll come up with... Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                                The 1979 engine had a kickstart as others said.
                                No kickstart = later model engine, the original engine was swapped.
                                And the replacement retrofitted with points ignition for some reason. ( $ maybe?).. Grimly theorized that might have been the situation early on.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Working...
                                X