No announcement yet.

Gs850g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing the amount of knowledge ye have on these fabulous bikes.
    Brilliant site.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
      And the replacement retrofitted with points ignition for some reason. ( $ maybe?).. Grimly theorized that might have been the situation early on.
      who knows, original engine blew up and replacement did not come with an igniter ?
      $ may indeed have motivated a simple swap, enabling using the original loom without adjustments ?

I do not like electronic ignitions much on these GS-es (GT750 idem), seeing how vulnerable the total environment is.
      Unless very much effort is put into the wiring loom, all connectors, handlebar switches, ignition switch, etc etc ...
      Good chance of issues causing overvoltage killing components or undervoltage leading to non-functioning ignition.
      May be improved upon by replacing R&R with a SH775, but still.

I do put a lot of effort into the wiring loom and components, and like the points setup.
      Points are not as sensitive to voltage issues and usually will bring you home.
      Maybe huffing and puffing, but a broken igniter or electronic ignition will usually leave one stranded.

So in OP's place i would keep the setup with points...

I realize many people strongly feel otherwise, it's just my personal preference. YMMV
      Last edited by Rijko; 10-25-2023, 03:12 PM.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thankfully, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I haven't had any issues with the Electronic Ignition. I did remove the wiring loom when I got it and soldered all the connectors. I also carried out some modifications to the Ignition System which was recommended on this site or Bikecliff, can't remember now but maybe that helped.
        Regarding an earlier mention of twisting the Choke Knob to keep the Choke engaged. I remember many years ago that that's the way we did it on the old British cars. Also, works for me on the GS. Worth a try.

Comment

Well just to throw a wrench/spanner in the works, I have a 1979 GS850G with a kickstarter, electronic ignition, and CV carbs. How?

Well, the PO did the (aftermarket) ignition upgrade, I swapped the carbs and head because I had them and got tired of fighting the originals, and the kickstarter had always been there. Goes to show you can't judge a book by its cover.

Diver, if you were to post a few good-quality pictures of the bike I'm sure lots of us could tell you for certain what year it is, what modifications/repairs have been made since, and what kinds of maintenance you have to look forward to.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

How do I post photos to the site. Never did it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
              How do I post photos to the site. Never did it before.
              The best way is to put your photos up on a free pic hosting site like Imgur or Flickr, Copy the BBCode of the image and paste that into your post. For details see Posting Pics link in my signature, my tutorial is in post # 6 in that thread.

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I will have a go at it. Wish me luck

Comment

Not having much joy with the photos. Could I forward them to an email address if that is allowed. I don't want to break any Forum Rules.

Comment

Not a good long term solution but you can email a few pics to me rrodichok@gmail.com

Which site did you join and where did you get stuck?
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Thanks. Just sent some photos.

Comment

Here they are..........

Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Looks 1980, did the "79's" have gold and "blue" stripes?
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I put the Stripes on when I re-sprayed the fuel tank. Just happened to have a roll of Red and Silver in the workshop.

Comment

Did a pretty nice job.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks, the Decal Kits as very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X