No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, MisterCinders. Very nice. Bird poop all gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
      I agree, MisterCinders. Very nice. Bird poop all gone?
      Yeah, I had to strip and repaint after that "natural disaster."

Comment

One of the pistons in my rear caliper was seized, and it took a couple of guys (my parts pusher and I) a couple of hours (mostly him, tbh) of increasingly violent methods to get it out.
        I then spent a couple of hours cleaning the essential bits thoroughly and replacing seals and gaskets and the two nipples. Then I looked for one of the springs for about an hour, found it, fitted new pads, and mounted the caliper on the bike.

Then it started raining and the sun set, so I can't bleed it until tomorrow. No garage.

I consider this a pretty successful mid-season upgrade, and the 750 should be both significantly sharper and (not least) considerably safer. Let's hope I don't spend the extra safety margin investigating top speed or anything. :hihi:

Comment

Didn't update this last night...

Relocated the outlet on my temporary fuel tank to the bottom instead of it having to syphon upwards first.

Found my float height was wrong (set to '80 spec's, not '82) and fixed it.
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Catch the rebound

A little mod to my JD lawn tractor:

Just can't leave "good enough" alone...

Tis all painted up and on the tractor. It even WORKS !

Comment

installed ES fixed starter clutch mechanism ... buttonned 'er up ... replaced oil ... and took an awesome ride with the new clutch fibre plates as well.
              Wow!!!! happy chappy

Comment

I cant believe this thread is still going.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hovmod View Post
                  One of the pistons in my rear caliper was seized, and it took a couple of guys (my parts pusher and I) a couple of hours (mostly him, tbh) of increasingly violent methods to get it out.
                  I then spent a couple of hours cleaning the essential bits thoroughly and replacing seals and gaskets and the two nipples.
                  On stuck caliper pistons ....Take a bleeder nipple drill it straight threw.. Put a grease gun on the nipple ... Pump away ... Grease guns have some real psi in them ... It will jack the piston out ... Know parts hurt but a big mess to clean up ...LOL...

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    I cant believe this thread is still going.
                    It beats starting a new thread every time someone does something to their bike they want to share.

Today I pulled the body off the XJ650 turbo I recently crashed and started re-glassing it. Also, got the new shock mounts welded in place on the widened swing arm for the GS750 and started building the brake stay for the GSXR rear brake.
                    Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Wired up some diodes to fix my turn signals. Ordered a new headlight and brackets and new clutch and brake levers. Gonna make some brake lines and rebuild those calipers too.

Can't. Stop. Working. On this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by haztoys View Post
                        On stuck caliper pistons ....Take a bleeder nipple drill it straight threw.. Put a grease gun on the nipple ... Pump away ... Grease guns have some real psi in them ... It will jack the piston out ... Know parts hurt but a big mess to clean up ...LOL...
                        We used air pressure and a torch to heat the caliper so it would expand. After some violence they both popped out. Less mess, but probably potentially risky...

Comment

Checked to see if the relocated fuel hose on the temporary fuel tank would leak, and it didn't... sat for about 20 min's and no leak and fuel flows nicely with pure gravity feed now.

sigpic

Comment

Got it to run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discovered I need a new R/R.

Dropped the oil and filter after a good run finally.

Finished shaping the front mudguard.

Finished sanding and prep'ing the tail piece for the putty.

sigpic

Comment

I ahd yesterday off, so I took my big GS out on some deserted twisties -

I decided it needed a little more spring preload, and a little more damping for my old fat body, so I adjusted the rear suspension, tried it again, and it worked great -

Hit the straight - hauled a** to redline, covered my faceshield with bugs -

what fun.

Comment

Not Wrenching but a good day so far... got my endorsement. Well passed the skills test and got my waiver this morning.
                                I know, I know... about time. I rode back in the '80s when you didn't need one then took a couple decade hiatus. Most lately been riding for two years without anything, then got my Permit this spring, today was the last step to finally being LEGAL! Other than go visit the... *LADIES*... at the DMV.
                                Next spring I am signing up for the ABATE safety course right away as they have been booked for the rest of this Summer / Fall since MAY!

Comment

Working...
                                X