No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the boat back in running order again, (didn't use it last year), and prepping to list it for sale. 1976 Glassmaster Daytona 700ESD

Comment

Got the Dynatek ignition timed but she still won't run even though I've got nice juicy sparks.

I think I have entered the re-jet phase a little earlier than anticipated and I'm quite confused because the jets I have don't match what's available from Mikuni... me thinks time for a carb thread...

I also got my front mudguard trimmed back...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finished up the "get back on the road" tune up - oil change, new plugs (didn't need 'em just yet, but figure I'd do them while I was at it), and valve adjust.

I just want to say HUGE thanks to BassCliff's website (and the contributor on the 16v valve adjust, Basic) - I wouldn't have thought to make my own tool and its so bleeding easy once you get used to it (only previously done valve adjusts on my GS450). It really transformed the bike - it was pretty cold-blooded before and needed significant time to warm up. Now it starts quick as it should (even on a cool morning), much like my Kawi did (which had its valves adjusted right before I bought it)

Also on BassCliff's recommendation, I'm trying the Shell Rotella-T diesel oil. Forgot to look at oil temps on the way to work, but I figure that they weren't as high as they will be when I take the backroads home from work this afternoon. It was about low 60's this morning, and my morning commute is mostly highway

Overall I'm pretty happy Now to dedicate some time to my neglected project truck

Comment

Went from the 26-year old single row:

To the new all aluminum 2 row:

Comment

MIKUNI BSW30SS Choke plunger extracted...got LUCKY,this time. Thanks,fellow GSR member for your back-up offer,it gave me more gumption to attempt to take the "plung(er) out.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2012, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Front pads and rotors on the CTS today...
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Time to replace stuff on the 750:

Rear wheel got new (used) cush drive hub, new (used) brake disc, and brand new sprocket. Simple.

Then I spent a LOT of time and deep patience getting the old bearings out of the swing arm, which then got new bearings and bushings. Once you knock the bearings to bits, the outer casing of the bearing is VERY HARD TO GET OUT! :x
                New drive sprocket also fitted. So the rear wheel itself is now pretty well sorted.
                New bearings and bushings on the swinging arm should also improve tightness.

But.

Then, in the middle what can only be described as a whirlwind of hack mechanics, trouble hit in the form of bad threads on the left shock. The bolt enters, but as I tighten it, it slips and becomes loose. So I need to get that fixed before I'll ride this thing. Hm.
                At least the swing arm is back on, so it looks closer to a running bike now.

Remaining jobs then:
                -Fix shock mounting issue (new shocks? slightly longer bolt? ideas?).
                -New rear brake shoes (likely a bleeding job, so I'll replace brake fluid. just as well).
                -Intermittent headlight, probably caused by a bad wire/connector. This kind of stuff I do well, so I'm not too worried.
                -Replace throttle cable.
                -change oil + filter

No riding today then, and curses on the dimwit who decided that the inner bracket for the shock should come with "built-in" threads instead of a nut. Space on the inside of the swing arm issue, perhaps?

OK, off to 25 year high school reunion.
                Tomorrow, hangover mechanics.

Sorry, no pictures.
                Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Gapped my plugs! Woohoo! It's hard working on these things while sweat is dripping in your eyes at 8am. But the weatherfolks say we have a cool front coming which will bring it down to ONLY 98 all next week.

Did go for a short putt with Frank Z on his Cooley though. Amazing to hear the differences in our engines in the morning before it hits triple digits.

Comment

Installed new clutch cable on Katana. The action's a little better but still a workout. I'm thinking the near 90deg bend in the cable doesn't help matters. I will take a look inside clutch cover when I get a new gasket on the way with next parts order.

Comment

Lubed the chain and went for a pretty good ride. Now re-painting the tank and side panels to try another look.

Comment

Primed tank and panels last night. Sanded this morning. Three coats of paint. During the third coat of clear, some squirell or bird knocks a spatter of dirt onto the tank. FML.

Comment

Skunk tank

Turning my skunk tank into a 79 tank for my 79 restore.

1978 GS1000C
                          1979 GS1000E
                          1980 GS1000E
                          2004 Roadstar

Comment

My wrenching today was to complete #6 and #7 on my list of 32,467 things I decided I need to do based off of Basscliffs suggestions. lol. Today it was raining and I don't have a garage, so I was limited to just a few short trips out to the bike to do a few things.

#6 - Replace plugs and plug boots. I know that isn't much of a repair, and I don't think the plugs I had were in terrible shape, but they didn't look great and plugs are just a couple bucks, so I took it off the list.

#7 - Weather stripping on airbox covers. Another $3.00 project.

Like I said, nothing major but slowely working my way down the Basscliff list of things I need. Next up...Carb Boots. I'm saving up a little while for those. 3 look brand new, one looks like it was cut a little with a knife, so I'm getting new ones across the board.

Comment

Helped a buddy put the fenders back on his 55 chevy 5 window pickup

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
                                Helped a buddy put the fenders back on his 55 chevy 5 window pickup
                                Cool *drool*

Comment

Working...
                                X