No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was riding the bike around and i couldnt get it to shift into 1st gear, i thought it was a transmission problem but noticed the shifter was sticky so i pulled it off a little and greased it now its smooth as butter and shifts great!

also went to the dmv and turns out my bike wasnt non OPed so theres 650 dollers in back fees, sucks my bike only cost 500 and i got it running for like 50.

Comment

Had alot of little projects on the back burner. Had a chance to do them and ran out of excuses for not doing them so.......
      On my GS1000 I added some oil (where does that synthetic go?) and tightened the drive chain, was shifting kinda hard so I thought, "driveline lash." I'll know when I ride it if that helped.
      Last night I put in a 1st generation "new to me" turn signal control unit, confidence was high, both left and right flashers flashed, but when I rode it, it just kept flashing forever. I'd like to get another serviceable one, boy those things are hard to come by in a serviceable or even unserviceable condition, that's OK, Dale's working on the fix.

On my GS1100, I had this really loud buzzing/vibration noise when the RPM's hit from 3,500 to about 4,200, really annoying!. I thought it was a loose baffle in the left side stock muffler. Luckily it turned out to be the muffler heat shield. I acquired a set after I got the bike as they were missing. When you deal with these, you miss the ease of working on the GS1000, only two little accessable screws and the heat sheild is off, not so with the 1100, four screws, and one I haven't been able to figure out how to replace, that is unless I take the mufflers off, which I won't do, just ain't worth it to me. Anyway, I got some nylon washers and reworked it and got the buzzing to stop, so
      smooth........................................... now.
      I got a '83 GS1100E chain gaurd from Josh (ironshiek, thanks!) to replace my cracked '82 GS1100E one. Again the 1000 is the better bike, seems all the '82/'83 chain gaurds I've seen on E-bay were cracked, so finding a replacement was not going to be easy. I jumped on this one when the opportunity came. The stickers are different colors, silver for the '82 and black for the '83, not that it matters to me. 10 minutes and it's swapped out, but spent another hour and many test drives trying to get my chain not to rub on gaurd, lots of tweeking.

The engineers could've done a better job on the chain gaurd, it's just weak in the area where it's cracked, and all the other cracked ones are the same, I was going to repair it, by "I" punching the end of the crack and riveting a link across the split. Here's looking at the chain gaurd from the back about a third of the way down.

And now a front top view, one thing about the crack is that it wasn't getting any worse. It will find a home where GS Rick can repair it and put it on his GS1100.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Adjusted the clutch after I got home from work and took a short 10-15 mile ride; had to stop along the way and adjust the idle as it was too high. I'm hoping everything starts up good in the AM as I plan to ride into work for the first time since September.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Today? Valve clearance on GS1000 and rejetting CR Special carbs.

Comment

Wrenched on our oven today... had to replace the top griller element... fun stuff!

And tonight I started bending the carry rack bottom rails to suit the tail piece.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

decided the new paint on the calipers bodies was OK, very much like the orginal stuff that is still on the untouched carriers...so new pistons and seals in...I'm sure they will look OK once their installed

RB

Comment

Wired my 550L stator and rr direct and added a 15 amp inline fuse to the rr power to battery. Instant results in charging quality and output. Cleaned or replaced connectors as needed.

Comment

Replaced the fairings on the Bandit and disassembled the headlight module and removed the blockers. My headlight output almost doubled.
                  All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Started putting the best parts of the dead DR 350 onto the one with the 441 engine.

It's gonna be sweet...

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Started putting the best parts of the dead DR 350 onto the one with the 441 engine.

It's gonna be sweet...
                      Ooooh... are you going to be able to keep the front wheel down?

As for me...

I finished the bends on the carry rack to mate it up with the grab rail...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                        Ooooh... are you going to be able to keep the front wheel down?

As for me...

I finished the bends on the carry rack to mate it up with the grab rail...
                        Why yes, I can keep the front wheel down. It comes down every time I close the throttle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Why yes, I can keep the front wheel down. It comes down every time I close the throttle.
                          Haha true...

sigpic

Comment

I got my order from Earl's today and my seals and boots from Bike Bandit for my front calipers too. Time to go out and torque the rear axle back down, build those calipers back up and make some new lines.

Comment

Pop riveted the baffle into my new BUB header.

posplayer's throttle mod, done.

10mm is a mite wide for the 650. Had to sand it down. 8.5 is wide enough to hold the cable nicely, and prevents rubbing. Haven't had a chance to try it on the road, but the snap back is good, and the hand position at WOT sublime.

I'm thinking it might be worth it to try a Teflon ring with a slight groove in place of PVC next time
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Finally figured out that I had put the master cylinder back together in the wrong order after about two weeks of bleeding and then servicing calipers when the seals finally arrived, luckily just before buying a pair of calipers. ********.

Comment

Working...
                                X