No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put a stage 2 jet kit in my Bandit. Combined with an 'air box mod' where the whole back of the box is cut off and a K&N filter is added. Then put on my new slip-on. The bike snarls now. I love it. Haven't had a chance to get after it or tune it yet, but I still rode it to work anyway (it's only 2 miles to work so no chance to play).

Comment

Adapted an automotive fuel gauge to the tank unit on a 1983 Kawi, LTD1100. Dash unit had been destroyed so owner had a 500 set w/o gas gauge installed but wanted to monitor fuel level.

Doped out a trial circuit using MOSFETs to replace the self-cancel module on 1979 GS850G. Can't manage to make the circuits stable enough that capacitance and interference won't trigger so ordered some more relays for stock. Will make up a circuit using two latching NO relays powered by one NC relay for cancelling. That module works 100% of the time for weeks and then a cold morning seems to set it to open circuit. Thought that giving it a good spray with Fluid Film ( a wax anti-corrosion spray) had done the job as had lasted for months since doing that.

Laughing over the string of coincidences the other day when my son was headed down to do a learner's skills test on the 850. All had been 100% for months but when he went out into the street to do some practice, the signals wouldn't work. Nice!

"OK", I said, "They will likely allow you to use hand signals as you're the test in their compound." Off we went but on the way the HID headlight cut out. I checked and the high tension module had a very hot bubble of plastic on the case and no light. I quickly swapped in the H4 bulb from the side bag but no dice, they needed the signals to be working. I told him he had two options, use my ST1100 which he has ridden twice, or rebook for anothe day. He elected the ST so we pulled the side bags and Givi trunk to make it a bit lighter and off to the test lane.

The right front signal bulb burned out as he was confirming that everything on the bike was working. "@#$%", I said under my breath. (VBG) The examiner saw the look on my son's face, laughed, and said, "Be careful on the way home to fix that signal." Then ran him though the maneuvers test which he passed. "Sweet!"

It all turned out for the best as there was no doubt that his skills are up to scratch if he can pass on a heavy sport tourer which he has only briefly ridden.

That's my week.

Comment

This past weekend I primed and painted the twin-pot conversion brackets I received from salty_monk.

I used high-temp primer and engine paint, which called for baking at 250°, 400° and 600°, at thirty-minute intervals to harden, so I did that as well.

Then I aired out my apartment.

I also started cleaning up the Tokico/Kawasaki brake calipers I got off of Ebay. Turns out there's quite a bit of life left in one of the sets of brake pads that came with the calipers. The pads are HH-rated though and I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that those are too aggressive and will chew up these old GS rotors. I'll just give them to my brother, since he has a Ninja 250.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Got the angle grinder out this avo and cut the second last piece of my carry rack puzzle to size, just got the loop to add to the top for the front to go, but I need some time to get some heat on it to bend... 10mm solid steel rod don't bend so easily

I also finally got my tacho drive removed and replaced with the plug seeing as the Acewell uses the coil for the tacho signal. I really didn't like having the tacho drive spinning at the front of the engine, paranoid a rock will hit it or something and do some damage...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

More Turbo Chicken front end work last night. Painted spindles, undercaoted the sub frame and shock towers and tonight, it starts going back together.

Comment

I wrestled the old airbox boots out of my airbox yesterday. Then I scrubbed a bunch of grime and grease off of it and installed brand new airbox rubbers. The difference is like night and day! I might even buy another set, just to have them on-hand, because I have a gut feeling that they're going to get hard to find.

I also sealed up the top of the air filter with weather stripping, as some of the foam was pretty beat.

Then I got morbidly curious about those old airbox boots. Yup, the stiffest one will support my entire weight if I stand on the top of it.

Comment

Made some lower mounting brackets for the S fairing going on my CBX.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Removed the carbs from my 80 GS850G for cleaning. It has been leaking gas when I got it from PO.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM. Reason: photo

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post

That fairing looks great!
                    The bike is going to look sweet!

Eric

Comment

Finishing up the paintwork on my new tank but ended up orange peel/crazing the last coat. So I need to sand it down and redo a few coats of paint. Need to get it tight before trying out that pricey 2K clear coat.

Freshened up the paint on my seat and side panels to go with the new tank. Color scheme is the same, but the old clear on the seat had crazed a bit and picked up a couple nicks. A little sanding and paint and the plastics are looking sexy again.

Will update with pics when it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post

We must see this on the bike. Lovely paint. I think an 82/83 GS "train" light looks great on a CBX. I may put one on my 6.

Comment

I think I fixed it... but I had to get my 450 firing on both cylinders again. Cranked it a few times last night and both plugs are sparking again.

Yesterday riding to work I got about a km down the road when it started running on 1, all uphill back home which was painful but no time to sort it then.

Turns out one of the HT leads I made for the Dynatek has the lug that clips onto the spark plug a bit loose. After swapping leads and plugs around after checking the voltage and coils, both are sparking again. If I can get a quick short test run in today, that means I just need to make up another HT lead to replace the dodgy one. No idea how it lasted nearly 4000km's like that without issue...
                          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Red, i agree on the 8" headlight looking good on a CBX.
                            The size suits the brute but it has to be on a naked 6 to show it off.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Put in new intake boots after a carb rebuild and boot O-rings didn't do the trick. Seems better now although I'll hafta adjust the idle still...

Comment

Rob (AZR) and I installed my new chain and sprockets today. Did the 530 conversion. Went with the gold chain, was a little worried that it was too bling bling. But I think it looks pretty good with my gold GS emblems. Thanks again Rob, couldn't have done it without you. And just in time for the Port Renfrew loop on Saturday.

No signature

Comment

Working...
                                X