No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some general maintenance on my new bike which I picked up today. A Yamaha MT-01 from '07 with roughly 4500 miles on the clock.

Cleaned it up, lubed the chain. Gonna change oil and filters later.

Lovely bike to ride with that 1670cc grunt.

Comment

Cool bike, Mindless.
      150 lb. of torque?
      There is one near me that i see about 3 times a year with Sato Slip-ons.
      It sounds great!
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Front suspension work on my Bird.

The "junk in the trunk" prior to bolting it back together.

and a cleaned and ready place to put it all. Have the drivers side all back together and will attack the passengers side tonight, after work.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Cool bike, Mindless.
          150 lb. of torque?
          There is one near me that i see about 3 times a year with Sato Slip-ons.
          It sounds great!
          150Nm. Either way, it has plenty of grunt.

Speaking of slip-ons... I need a Racefit exhaust for it.

Comment

Not quite wrenching but tools were involved.
            A little preliminary work to get the tree to cooperate with the landing coordinates.

I wouldn't want this video to wind up on "America's Dumbest Parents Video's" on ABC TV.
            (Watch in HD and full screen for the proper effect. )

Coonass tree falling...

Taking down the dead willow tree safely.Wait for the salute and the thumb up.

The aftermath showing the wedge that was removed and the weakening cut behind before ratcheting the tree down...

Almost perfectly dead center of the other two trees.

"I love it when a plan comes together" - George Pepard

Eric
            Last edited by Guest; 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Wrenching on my rehab this afternoon, pulled the swing arm off and some other little stuff so far today. Gotta buy a drill bit to enlarge the swing arm bolt holes on the frame and peg mounts, yiippeee me lol. Was surprised to see the 1100 swing is that much lighter then the 750 one. Oh just discovered that I need to replace the shocks NOW as well, my 28 year old street strokers have died. sigh never ends...
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Well after dropping the bike on the clutch handle practicing an emergency stop in a curve (didn't get it straightened up enough before stopping), I replaced the handle with the one I JB Welded two years ago. It will get me through some time before I get a few more.

Oh, and watched Steve change tires.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Noticed that the aftermarket lights in my GK tail trunk were not on.
                  Then noticed that neither was the tail light. YIKES.
                  Oh, wonder how long its been that way and I didnt notice.
                  Then noticed that didnt have instrument lights. DOAH.
                  Hum, Seems that I would have noticed that.
                  Hum, those are all on same fuse.
                  Head light and ignition circuits all okay.
                  Tried the Park position and tail light came on (that is powered by Main fuse). Then thought that didnt prove much in this case (would be usefull if problem was only the tail light).

Just touched the Signal fuse and all flickered back on.
                  Fuse was just not in all the way. Pushed it in further and all okay.

I had been poking around in there last night, I am quessing I must have knocked it loose, or didnt put back all the way. Seems secure now.

But there for a while I was wondering what sort of adventure I was going to be having.

Last edited by Redman; 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I knew the bike had an oil leak somewhere under the front sprocket cover, but when I switched to Rotella T6 it became a geyser... It was actually spattering some oil on the outside of the tire after riding for a while . It took a while to find but it ended up being the output shaft oil seals. I figured I might as well check the valves while I was at it, a few were on the tight side but everything was nice and clean under there. The gasket must have been the original because it was mummified and totally destroyed itself as I was taking the valve cover off.

I ordered the new gasket and seals from Boulevard Suzuki so hopefully those will get here soon (and I need a few shims). I have the carb orings from cycle orings already and the bike will be down for at least a week so I should do a carb breakdown/dip too. And then do a carb sync, and then put on the new rear rotor and s/s line I have sitting here (fronts done), and then put on new tires that I'll be ordering...

I've spent the last month catching up on years of maintenance, and after all this I should be good. Im gonna be riding the crap out of this bike

Comment

I got the new rear rotor on and the s/s rear line. After it was bled it felt 1000% better then before.

Old vs new

I was only getting half the clamping area on the old rotor so hopefully the rear brake won't be useless now.

Comment

Pulled the stator cover off to see if I could shed some light on why my starter stopped engaging.

Ughhh !

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                          Coonass tree falling...

Taking down the dead willow tree safely.Wait for the salute and the thumb up.
                          What ? No T I M B E RRRRR !!!!
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                            What ? No T I M B E RRRRR !!!!
                            If you look close, I salute it when it cracks and give it a thumb up after the fall.

Eric

Comment

Eric..the way that top snapped into chunks it wasnt goona be standing much longer on its own....good landing spot too. So if a tree falls and a GS owner is near by, can he hear it over the roar of the engine???
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Front brake. Again.

Comment

Working...
                                X