what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    Those with a GS450 will appreciate the instruction, because it involves removing four bolts, which also hold the passenger grab rails.
    Actually, removing them is no problem. The hard part is getting it all to line up to put the bolts back in.

Unless you have an E or S Steve, then it's a matter of twisting the key in the seat lock
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Unless you have an E or S Steve, then it's a matter of twisting the key in the seat lock
      These are the 450s on which I have worked:
      My son had an '81 450T
      c.wilson has an '82 450T
      These two bikes required removal of the turn signals to release the seat catches.

Mr.Gree has an '86 450L
      Bookmon has an '85 450GA
      These two bikes used key latches to open them.

I guess it matters which year and which model, but the 450 is the only one that I know of that required removal of turn signals to remove the seat.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        These are the 450s on which I have worked:
        My son had an '81 450T
        c.wilson has an '82 450T
        These two bikes required removal of the turn signals to release the seat catches.

Mr.Gree has an '86 450L
        Bookmon has an '85 450GA
        These two bikes used key latches to open them.

I guess it matters which year and which model, but the 450 is the only one that I know of that required removal of turn signals to remove the seat.

Yeah those earlier T's and L's definitely require it! Very painful... glad I never had one

Lucky Suzuki put the toolkit under the side cover hey?

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Dave, it is coming right along.
            Might I suggest screwing some of these into your outside frame to help support your cross supports?

And don't forget to add bracing between them to aid in keeping the boards straight.
            It also adds rigidity to the entire platform.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
              Dave, it is coming right along.
              Might I suggest screwing some of these into your outside frame to help support your cross supports?

And don't forget to add bracing between them to aid in keeping the boards straight.
              It also adds rigidity to the entire platform.

Eric
              Right with you on that, Eric. Stopped and grabbed a bunch from Home Deopt.
              Also picked up the 45 degree brackets for the webbing.

The "fun" part of this project wil be making the thing as stiff and plumb as possible. Have a few ideas on that. Also plan on adding two more cables and a few more pulleys. Like a dog chasing his tail, I'll get her up and running smoothly !

You're going to smile when you see the finished framing for the platform.

Comment

I try to over-build myself because you just know that you are going to be testing it past its limits.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                  I try to over-build myself because you just know that you are going to be testing it past its limits.

Eric
                  Would only be half the fun, if you didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    Would only be half the fun, if you didn't.
                    Exactly!
                    When I first bought my Harbor Freight engine lift, the first thing that I did was replace all of the Chineesium bolts with grade 8 bolts.
                    I tested it beyond its limits shortly thereafter.
                    I pulled the engine, transmission and transfer case from one of my full sized Wagoneer's in one lift!
                    The steel beams looked like a fishing pole bending under the strain of a large fish. Bowed!
                    Wish that I had taken a pic or two as that operation is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Eric

Comment

Looks like it's gonna do the job nicely Dave!

sigpic

Comment

A little wimpy compared to the last one, it's only 10,000bhp and 100psi capable.

Comment

Shorai Solution

I usually dont feel so self satisfied with my work that I need to post it, but I am very exited today because my new Shorai battery has arrived. And it is tiny. I included my perfectly normal readying glasses for scale. My old 550 bobber is going to get a bit of a face lift.

I nixed the battery box an air box, and sorted out where I mite relocate the electronics with a bit of perforated steel strap.

I grabbed a piece of scrap aluminum plate I salvaged from some old test equipment, relieved one side a bit for clearance and drilled it to fit some of the existing tabs on the right side of the bike.

After sizing up the plate I added a bit of steel angle to help brace the battery. Its a framing brace of some sort from the hardware store.

The cheep tie down straps are just temporary while I mock-up up the final assembly. When I can find some appropriate leather straps I will rivet them on as well.

Comment

Rescued

Got in touch with Steve,(for different reasons) he wrote back saying he was in the area, and we (he) spent the better part of Saturday, and some on Sunday, doing the Full Monty (Full Steve?) on my '82 650g carbs, and direct grounding of the r/r. Helped me fulfill a promise to my nephew to go riding together! What an asset he is to this Board and to it's members. A regular Johnny GS-Seed!! Thanks, Steve! (10mm Snap-On you left is in the mail)
                            Last edited by recycled64; 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM. Reason: Faux Pas
                            sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
                            '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
                            '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
                            '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
                            '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
                            '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
                            '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
                            '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
                            '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
                            '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

Today I bolted on(w/ a little fabbing) some 1999 bandit coils to the 83 ES. As I susspected, from doing this type of mod to a couple Hondas, the differance is considerable. Along w/ the 14t c sprocket, the Space Blue Metalic sport tourer has stepped its pace up a little.

Comment

Today was put the new starter clutch on the 73 Yamaha TX750, adjust the voltage ( has an adjustable regulator ) and got a solid 14.2 at the battery now, all new bulbs in the instrument panel. Then rode it down to Frank Zs place. Put another 150 miles on it today. Frank Z took it for a ride today also..maybe he will post the picture.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X