No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made and installed new side case gaskets on the B12 today. I could have ordered them for not much money, but it would have been a five day wait for the gaskets to arrive and then two hours of going back and forth to order and then pick them up. It only took about 45 minutes to pattern and cut the two gaskets from material I had on hand and another 30 minutes to install them.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Zim View Post
      ...too small.I gave up for the day, but tomorrow I'm gonna try to stick the mufflers in the vise and try to just move it in enough to get the clamps on without closing them too much so they don't go on the pipes....
      Would an exhaust pipe expander help? Free rental from Auto Zone, buy for $25.
      sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I'm gonna take the mufflers and both sets of clamps to my son in law's garage today and order him to make one fit.

Comment

I got home late but I put in my replacement gears and swapped the ignition advance from the 650 onto the 550 crank. Tomorrow I want to test fit the new seals and get the block ready for reassembly.

Comment

Replaced the right side exhaust, cleaned the fuel tank, and started the Rebel for the first time since 07.
            V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

No wrenching...just filled out the tax forms and was happy to see that I will be getting a refund.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I got back to work on my '79 550 cafe-"ish" build.

Today I started to work on the electrical component tray. First the general shape was cut out of cardboard:

That was transferred onto the sheet metal, and cut out:

Using my backyard sheet metal break, I got the bends done...

Then I laid out the components where they will end up. Man that Shorai battery is small! (2.25" X 3" X 4", and about a pound):

The rectifier will end up mounted on the bottom of the tray so it will get plenty of cooling air.
                1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                sigpic
                My GS550 Build

Comment

Got a CD stuck in my factory in-dash changer in my Focus. Pulled the unit out (love the DIN removal tools instead of nuts and bolts) pulled top off, plugged back in the wiring harness. Played with it for about 10 minutes before it finally decided to reject the disc. Loaded changer, it worked again. Put top back on, connected wiring harness again, reinstalled CD changer. Still works. Not sure what happened, except it was a CD-R with a CD label stuck on it with the song titles printed on it.
                  Bonus: had to buy a T8 Torx driver, so I went to Harbor Freight and got this. $5 plus tax, and now I have.a driver set for my computer repair bag.

Comment

Just did some cleaning of garage, moved battery tenders around and thats about it!!!Adjusted door on pick-up tired od wind noise

Comment

retuned snowthrower carburator. Techumseh 5hp HS-50.

- 77 year old father-in-law (with Altzhiemers) had said "sounds like its running rich". He says a lot of stuff that doesnt make sense and if you ask him about it, his ansewers dont make sence either. But, this, I should have listened to.
                      - I notice that after using snow thrower, I would smell like gas.
                      - Watching my own vidio
                      http://youtu.be/hjfAnnr_S9Q
                      I notice it sounds like running at low rpm, and underload was not responding much (dont know why not notice that when using it).

So I get out the Techumseh manaul. ANd reread how to set the low speed (#20) and the high speed (#40) adjustment. Instructions say "adjust out till erratic, adjust in untill erratic, set half way inbetween".
                      I recall having done that before, and making the adjustment and asking myself if that was erratic or not.

So this time I went thru the adjustment, and at first sign of any change, I called that "erratic". Ended up pretty much at the intial settings. A lot less than they had been.

Much better now. Runs higher RPM. Under load, it grunts luder, but doesnt slow down (with cover off can see govenor operate the carb throttle plate #1 &6).

>>> vidio a week later
                      http://youtu.be/Wierj5twGvY

Last edited by Redman; 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I did some cleaning and forced myself to reassemble the bottom end. I just had to get it over with, do or die!

I posted more pics in my build thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 8ball View Post

The rectifier will end up mounted on the bottom of the tray so it will get plenty of cooling air.
                          Nice!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                          ...Bonus: had to buy a T8 Torx driver, so I went to Harbor Freight and got this. $5 plus tax, and now I have.a driver set for my computer repair bag.
                          Got a CD "stuck" in a Mac yesterday. The more that I use Macs, the less I like them.

Torx is nice. I recently installed about 200 sheet metal screws with square drive on them. I don't know what the standard name for square drive is. Can anyone help? They were pretty nice, too. I won't miss Phillips or slotted screws when they disappear.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Believe it or not, they are called square drive screws. Odd, isn't it?
                            Seems like they could have named it after a fish, or their grandmother, or something. Instead, they named it something that actually describes it.

Comment

No the name of those screws are Robertson after they're Scottish/Canadian inventor.

Comment

Interesting. In Canada they are called Robertson screws, after their inventor. But I pretty much had to go to a Canadian site to see them.
                                In America, I can find them all over being called square drive screws. Hmmm.

Comment

Working...
                                X