No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed out the battery in my 850L and adjusted the clutch.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I removed my vintage Kerker header/muffler and conveyed them to the powdercoater for blasting and delicious semi-matte satin black powdercoat. I can't wait to get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
        I removed my vintage Kerker header/muffler and conveyed them to the powdercoater for blasting and delicious semi-matte satin black powdercoat. I can't wait to get it back.
        Why was I told recently by a powder coater that they could not powder coat exhaust???
        No signature

Comment

Exhaust powdercoat is a special coating (Cerakote) that will stand up to exhaust temperatures. A regular powdercoat would indeed be no go. If mine comes out great, I'd be happy to help negotiate for others to get coated where I do. They might be doing my tank too.

Comment

Painted the exhaust I took off the 81 I bought and plan on putting it on my 83 1100....I painted it in the back yard before my wife got home from work. Lol..

Crappy pics...sorry will post better ones...

No signature

Comment

Oh nice! I just used BBQ black paint before. It was actually rated good enough for the temperature. 1500*+ Since I never had the pipes blasted clean, the paint finish would always eventually fail. But BBQ black paint was cheap. I'll be sure to post pictures of my exhaust when it returns. I guess I should pry out and replace my exhaust gaskets. On old bikes, if you don't do it, you don't know if it's right.

Comment

I use vht header paint. Supposed to be good to 2000. I would like to have a little more gloss though. This is pretty flat and I'm wondering how it's going to look against my shinny black motor.
                No signature

Comment

I plan to wrap my header. Too much gloss on exhaust looks weird in my opinion. I'd do satin or matte even if my engine was glossy black. This may be just me though. Motorcycle style is very subjective.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                    Hey Pat,
                    Do you have a build thread on your 81 going? Would love to see some pics of your work. Good luck with it!
                    Here are a few pictures:

I finished the bike last night but still need to take it for a test drive and make sure it runs out OK.

Pat
                    Last edited by GS1000S; 03-11-2015, 05:35 AM.
                    78' GS1000EC
                    79' GS850GN
                    79' GS1000N
                    79' GS1000EN
                    81' GS1100EX

Comment

I use vht header paint. Supposed to be good to 2000. I would like to have a little more gloss though. This is pretty flat and I'm wondering how it's going to look against my shinny black motor.
                      Be sure to follow curing steps exactly or it won't take. Baking is best but can be done on bike. Mine I baked has stayed very well,another I cured on bike didn't take cause I didn't follow directions it took second try when I did. Have a fan ready to clear smoke and fumes.
                      sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
                      1994 gsxr1100w
                      1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Why was I told recently by a powder coater that they could not powder coat exhaust???
                        Originally posted by GSCafe View Post
                        Exhaust powdercoat is a special coating (Cerakote) that will stand up to exhaust temperatures. A regular powdercoat would indeed be no go.
                        Indeed, 'regular' powdercoating is no good for high-temp situations, but ceramic coating does BEAUTIFULLY. I was going more for the shiny look, so I went for the "near-chrome" finish.
                        Here are the two that I have done so far, my son's 650L and my 850G(K):

"How close is it to chrome", you ask? Here is the ceramic coated header and the stock chrome muffler:

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by akckhim View Post
                          Be sure to follow curing steps exactly or it won't take. Baking is best but can be done on bike. Mine I baked has stayed very well,another I cured on bike didn't take cause I didn't follow directions it took second try when I did. Have a fan ready to clear smoke and fumes.

Agreed on the curing as well as the maintenance. I accidentally spilled brake fluid on my pipes after doing them a few years ago and it ate the paint right off. I since had mine ceramic coated at a place here in Ohio for a decent price (Edited - Steve posted his reply before me) and they are still looking nice. I would look to see if you can find a place that will do the ceramic coating.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to include the link to that place.

Aesthetic Finishers. in Piqua, oHIo.

sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Agreed on the curing as well as the maintenance. I accidentally spilled brake fluid on my pipes after doing them a few years ago and it ate the paint right off. I since had mine ceramic coated at a place here in Ohio for a decent price (Edited - Steve posted his reply before me) and they are still looking nice. I would look to see if you can find a place that will do the ceramic coating.
                              Good idea. I will see if I really like the pipe then get it ceramic coated if I do. It's not cheap here. Of course because nothing is! Lol
                              No signature

Comment

actually looked at the bike today, i have a few parts i need to sell so i can buy a new chain and sprocket set. spring is coming......
                                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                                X