No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I stripped the VM29SS carbs on the GS750 to get ready for a cleaning and ordered carb kits after noticing a couple of the fuel valve seats were damaged.
    Then I started wiring in the new LED lights in the gauge cluster of the 1100ES, all lights are being replaced with LEDs and I'm planning on going with a light blue for the back lighting.

Bad part was, when I removed the fuel gauge the plastic needle cracked and fell off. So, now I've got to try and glue it back together or find another gauge.

Comment

New Shock

Almost 30 years now, time to check the Swing Arm and put in a New Shock. Bearings and Arm were fine.

New shock is a rebuilt CBR600RR unit with CNC adapter parts and appropriate Spring.

Also took advantage of the chance to clean up some electrics.
      Here I washed the terminals in weak acid (CLR) and Flux'd/Soldered the connectors, pinch'd em too a little.
      Then a little spritz of WD40, good to go,,..

Also had to replace the Muffler Clamp Bolts (again),,.. not my fault, the bike should just lean MORE!,,..

Comment

Originally posted by Notz View Post
        ....And one of these days I'm going to have a stab at adjusting my valves, it's just my bike is running so well and the weather is so nice that I don't want to have the down time.....
        If you have your gasket before starting, valve adjustment shouldn't require any down time. Pull the tank and valve covers, measure and reassemble. Order shims (assuming that you need shims) and replace when the replacement shims arrive.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Wife's Rebel got a new front tire, fixed the stuck choke, inline fuel filter and a license plate. She's ready to ride! Those old Rebels are impressive. Years of neglect and sitting and they still run almost like new.

Comment

With the assistance of posplayr and a new multimeter, I got my new Dyna S ignition statically timed and the bike is up and running.

After topping off the battery, I filled up the tank and went for a ride.

Comment

Well, I am a sick feller, Like most here I can't leave things completely stock. I keep modding my ES. I have replaced the drive & pinion oil pump gears. New clutch fiber plates, 10% heavier springs, serviced the drive chain & put the 15 tooth sprocket back on, mod the 1150 oil coller bracket & installed the OC, chng oil & filter.
              Yesterday I installed the top end oiler & checked vlv clearance. Today I will install the ss brake lines & fresh brake fluid. Then put her clothes back on a ride her hard

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
                Well, I am a sick feller, Like most here I can't leave things completely stock. I keep modding my ES. I have replaced the drive & pinion oil pump gears. New clutch fiber plates, 10% heavier springs, serviced the drive chain & put the 15 tooth sprocket back on, mod the 1150 oil coller bracket & installed the OC, chng oil & filter.
                Yesterday I installed the top end oiler & checked vlv clearance. Today I will install the ss brake lines & fresh brake fluid. Then put her clothes back on a ride her hard
                ... be great to see a photo, if you're so inclined.

Comment

Friday afternoon on the way home, a combination of me driving with my head up my ass and an idiot squeezing in ahead of me into a one car space in my lane saw me plowing into the back of his piece of sh1t Renault with my car.
                  Left me with a smashed grille and two broken headlights, as well as the lower valence pushed firmly backward and up against the aircon fan.

Being my daily driver, letting it stand while I work out the details to repair it was not an option, (read, no money )
                  So guys what I have been doing this weekend.
                  One Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning, a set of after market headlight lenses, a can of satin black paint later.......

From this....

To this.......

The plastic chrome BMW kidney in the centre was broken in a few places, so I had to glue it back together, and the plastichrome was coming off in chunks, so to hide it I decided to paint it black to blend in with the rest of the grille, of course it never ends there, does it, so I ended up colour coding the bumper and replacing the orange indicator lenses in the bumper with white ones, Euro style.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I will get around to the bonnet (hood ) as soon as I have the time (read $$$$) but for now it is my urban camouflage.
                  I intend on replacing the lower skirt as well, with this unit, that I am busy prepping at the moment.

Comment

Finally took out the stock primary chain tensioner and replaced it with an automatic. Been procrastinating for about eight months. Sounded like that little popcorn mower I had as a kid. Quiet as a mouse & better shifting now.

Comment

I tried installing a set of driving lights on the 450. Too much draw, the turn sigs were too dim to see! I need to rethink this..... I wonder of going to LED turn signal replacement bulbs will reduce the load enough to allow the lights. I need to get into the electrics anyway. I probably have some corroded connections to clean.

Comment

29mm VM smoothbores

Not as clean as vapor blasting by no means but I'm pretty happy with them

They were coated with a black paint, even the Berrymans had a hard time to get it off. Had to do the hard parts with soda blasting. Cool thing that I noticed, these have already been drilled for an accelerator pump, which I just happen to have. Maybe one day.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Lookin good Rob
                          The other day I got into my carbs to move the clips and those stupid phillips heads screws suck!! So I put them back together and yesterday I picked up some allen head stainless screws. He is a before and after. And of course I took the opportunity to polish up the caps.

And after...
                          No signature

Comment

Got the new rear tire on the wife's Rebel. That's a big one off the list. Tomorrow, new headlight on mine. I might have them all running good and through inspection by November.....

Comment

99% done w/ the ES. I have a little horn work to do. Yesterday I rode around 50 miles checking her out, watching oil temps, listening, feeling. All systems go, no leaks, no bad sounds, no smoke. The 1150 oil cooler keeps the temp @ about 195 deg F(if it is accurate?) Top end oiler looks good & doesn't leak. SS brake lines(in black) improve the feel & performance.

I put a K & N on it (remove air box), & as I figured, BAD idea. Air box & stock filter back on. Runs strong!

My buddy Glen(new GSer) & I went for a ride & swapped bikes. He has a 20k mi 82 1100G. What a nice bike he has. He loved the ES, says it is SMOOTH. It is

Cheers for now, Yes, pics coming, even though you know what it looks like

Comment

...yikes! seized the caliper on the Beater/Parts-bike (GSX400EX)! I noticed right away though, it being a small bike and so I didn't literally smoke it- ohh, why can't I get a brain and resist riding the parts bike around? cool little bike that it is.
                                brakes apart today...but I fear a $ decision will be required and I will likely succumb...sigh

Comment

Working...
                                X