what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropped a new $21.99 battery in my DR.
    I like the cheaper prices with batteries nowadays, however it seems like I'm buying a new one every 2 years.

Comment

Nothing!

Just put another 360 or so trouble free km's on the last couple of days... so far since the head gasket change there's no oil leak and since going back to the stock ignitor (thanks again Greg!!!) she's been on two cylinders...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Got this working, at least as a test go.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'm still learning to pay attention to what's been written

New (2nd) R/R installed AFTER I cleaned all the contact points checked for shorts and bad wires. Big note here.... read the HOW TOs closely and if you don't feel like you are understanding what's being said... see if you can find a GOOD youtube video ... If you still have questions ask here. (don't run a R/R without a load... they don't last long at all.... Them diodes are damn sensitive)
          Changed gear oil, changed pumpkin gear oil.

And then a short ride to see how my repairs held up..

No drips, battery was stronger when I got home than when I left (that hasn't happened so far this year).
          sigpic
          Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Front brakes (later calipers) fitted on the '79 GS, bled up lovely with a Deauville master cylinder. I like the span-adjuster on those. Should be much, much better than those horrible hockey-puck pads that were on the OEM '79 calipers.
            Then fitted the Paramo vice to the workbench. I was unsure whether to fit that to the higher wooden dirty bench or keep it for the lower engine-strip bench, but practicality won out. I was getting brassed off with winding out, winding in, the small vice all the time and what was the sense of having an excellent classic quick-release vice sitting there doing nothing, so on it went.
            Sorted; no more back pain at the bench, as it's 3" taller than the Chinese one and is actually at a nice height for the majority of work I'll do on it.

---- Dave
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Dismantled and replaced the 4-hole gasket on the '79 petcock today - luckily I'd drained the tank shortly after last using the bike, so there was negligible gunge in the pickup screen and the tap was pretty clean. There was a touch of face corrosion on the inside of the moving element, so swirled that over some 400-grit emery paper for a few seconds and it went together perfectly air-tight once it was all buttoned up. Annoyingly, I found I'd bought a 50mm rectangular O-ring (is that for the GS1000?) instead of a 44mm, so had to re-use the old one, but it's in good condition and Hylomar on that and bolt holes, left overnight will work wonders.
              Last time I had that apart was 24 years ago and the Hylomar I'd used on the bolts was still pliable.
              ---- Dave

Comment

Started rear brake caliper clean and rebuild. Pads are good, caliper is filthy.

Comment

First time start for the '79 GS850 - honestly, no BS, I hadn't done a trial run before the camera was on. This was a genuine start for the first time in 20 years. Using the diy ignitor and the Stromberg carb, which has a knackered diaphragm, I think.
                  I just had to crank it to see if it caught with fresh fuel and sparks, being a bit impatient.
                  First start of the '79 GS850 after 20 years laid up. The Stromberg diaphragm is knackered, but the engine runs, if a bit grumpily.Pleased to see the diy igni...
                  ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    First time start for the '79 GS850 - honestly, no BS, I hadn't done a trial run before the camera was on. This was a genuine start for the first time in 20 years. Using the diy ignitor and the Stromberg carb, which has a knackered diaphragm, I think.
                    I just had to crank it to see if it caught with fresh fuel and sparks, being a bit impatient.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpt1...ature=youtu.be

Hot Dog! Congratulations!
                    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Good news indeed Dave!

sigpic

Comment

Minor bit of stuff last night... since doing my head gasket and valve clearances my jetting seems to have changed and she seemed to be running a bit lean.

I richened the mixture screws half a turn last week and that made a big difference, however at low throttle openings it's still not quite right, so last night I lifted the needles. I had them 3/4 of a notch richer than stock with some shims, now they are a full notch richer. See how she rides today but hopefully that's it.

sigpic

Comment

What did I work on?

Not much, just installed Mrs. Steve's birthday present.

Now to take it for a test ride, then continue working on Junior.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

GS850 rebuild

I got the frame and major parts like the swing arm, stem head, centre and side stand, and the engine mounts back from the powder coaters, you've gotta love the new shiney gloss black paintwork. It gives you inspiration to motor on and start rebuilding.
                            It's secured to a bike lift jack and the fun begins, with minors parts strung out on the clothes lines and painted with a rattle can in gloss black. The two piece back fender was scrubbed in the kitchen sink and painted as well.
                            Problem is, the ground temperature here in Perth WA is 0 degrees and theres ice on the grass this morning, so the painted parts need a heated shed to dry in.
                            Last night I assembled they back tail light and noticed it's starting to chip because of the age, the plastic is so fragile it'll need replacing in the near future.
                            Todays mission is to find some bearings or bushes locally for the swingarm, and get that part together, and get the battery box aqua blasted and repainted.
                            Parts are on back order, like the new coils and awaiting carby parts from Japan.

Comment

I want to ride this time of year, not work on it all the time. Since I've had a couple of wiring glitches in the ignition, I separated it off into a stand alone system till the riding season is done. I put on the Dyna S for starters. I cut the feed wires for the coils loose and put them, along with the feed wire to the Dyna on a new fused wire from the battery. It runs thru a toggle switch under the seat lock. I can pretty much fry all the rest of the wiring and still have ignition. At least I could get home with it. I want to replace all the wiring with new during the off season.

Comment

just for fun....

Fixed this cd player I recently acquired (from the trash).
                                The garage now is firmly ensconced with early 90s tech.....playing thru a 60s era tube radio.
                                The 80s being represented by the gs
                                Hmmmmmm the 70s?
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X