No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New halogen headlight on! As usual, never easy. The inner ring had the right/left adjuster cut off by some PO. The bulb in there had a bracket for it spotwelded to its back. New bulb did not have any of the needed brackets. I had to cut apart the old bulb to get the brackets off and use them as clamps to hold the new one. >1 hour of cutting, grinding, and a trip to Ace just to change a headlight.

Comment

After finishing up my rattlecan paint job, I started to reassemble my 750 in hopes of taking it for a ride for the first time this season. That idea didn't even get off the ground.

First off, my battery was dead. Not a huge problem, it's a 79, so I could kick it. First off though, I need some gas in the bowls. So I reach down to turn the petcock to prime only to find out the lever is bent and won't actuate to prime or reserve. I tried bending it back into place, but it threatened to pop out of the petcock and started to leak. I hoped I could kick it enough that some vac might pull some fuel in and I could eventually get it to fire.

That didn't matter much either. My choke cable had frozen solid over the winter. No amount of oil and vice grips could get the thing to move. It was obvious I was not going to get this thing going today. First start of the season with dry bowls, no choke and a dead battery? Not going to happen. At least the paint looks okay. It could be better, but it was a good learning experience and from a few feet away, it looks decent.

Comment

I may need a drink after this

Replaced this for the second time..I bought 2 at 3 something each. Hopefully I won't lose the one on the bike OR the extra. Looking at that ugly screw was more then slightly bothering me.
        Last edited by dorkburger; 06-06-2013, 10:00 PM.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by redstedman View Post
          99% done w/ the ES. I have a little horn work to do. Yesterday I rode around 50 miles checking her out, watching oil temps, listening, feeling. All systems go, no leaks, no bad sounds, no smoke. The 1150 oil cooler keeps the temp @ about 195 deg F(if it is accurate?) Top end oiler looks good & doesn't leak. SS brake lines(in black) improve the feel & performance.

I put a K & N on it (remove air box), & as I figured, BAD idea. Air box & stock filter back on. Runs strong!

My buddy Glen(new GSer) & I went for a ride & swapped bikes. He has a 20k mi 82 1100G. What a nice bike he has. He loved the ES, says it is SMOOTH. It is

Cheers for now, Yes, pics coming, even though you know what it looks like
          Just replace the stock filter with a stock K&N replacement.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I let someone else do the wrenching yesterday which is quite unusual... but the price includes fitting and balancing so I don't normally do this myself anyway...

Some new Pirelli Sport Demons, pure road tyres this time around...

110/90-18 rear date code 1712 and 100/90-18 front date code 2612.

Did around 60km's or so on the way home the long way to scrub them in a bit and I'm already liking how they feel
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Stainless Supertrapp

Before ....

DURING ....

AFTER ...

Comment

Nice Paul!!
                I want it!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                  Nice Paul!!
                  I want it!
                  betrothed to another! thorry

Comment

Spent 8 hours wet sanding my rambler. Tomorrow will be a polish day then I can reassemble the thing.

Comment

Recieved my new V&H exhaust last week and here is how it looks on the bike. Also installed the Dyno stage 1 jet kit. Bike is very fast!

No signature

Comment

Looking good, Trevor!
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Finished up repairing the new-to-me '82 1100G. It had not run in a long time. In the last 2 days I have :
                          synched the carbs,
                          adjusted idle mix after repairing a loose air filter,
                          adjusted shifter and brake pedals,
                          repaired a pinhole in the tank,
                          washed and waxed, and
                          took my first ever test rides (ran out of gas on the first ride and had to be rescued by my son with a gas can).

Over the last few weeks I have been over this bike nose to tail. It had been sitting for years so everything needed attention. Someone took pretty good care of her for most of the last 31 years. The only part I needed was a tach cable. This weekend was the culmination of quite a few hours of servicing. How rewarding! It felt good to be riding a big shafty again. So smooth and quiet compared to my KZ1000 hardtail with open pipe.

I also changed some wiring for lights on the Kaw and have the carbs on the bench for some tweaking of fuel levels.

Today will be more of the same on the Kaw. Set float levels, bench test fuel levels then reinstall carbs on the bike and test drive.

Tomorrow the Suzuki gets tagged and on the road!

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                            Recieved my new V&H exhaust last week and here is how it looks on the bike.
                            black header w/ chrome can !! (just sayin')

Comment

This springs laundry list on the 83 1100E included, new electrical harness, agm battery, r/r upgrade off of an 06 R1, oil change & filter, pull carb rack BDST36SS (o-rings, float adjust, re-install) plugs, state inspection, valve adjustment and valve cover gasket. The usual detail and wax to make it pretty.

Trevor, I really like that blue GS.
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

getting ready to do oil change. absent-mindedly grabbed the front exhaust pipe. i have 2nd deg burns on the contact surfaces of all 5 fingers of my left hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X