No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The wife had been complaining of not enough space in the fridge. We have no second fridge.
    A friend needing to clean out his garage, had an old sub zero he got from a neighbor......after spending all morning yesterday borrowing a truck/trailer and picking it up, then spending the afternoon cleaning the coils and demolding it, I found that the freezer didnt work. A web search for a wiring diagarm and a check, revealed a bad freezer thermostat. Plus it is designed to be a built in, and my current fridge is free standing in the corner of our 70s era kitchen. Its the fridge equivalent of a top of the line car....from1994. My disgust is significant.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

finished assembly of the fridge, but still have to get new door rubbers made and give it another good polish after we moved house.

Also installed the chain on my bike.

And though I still have to reclean the carbs, she starts up first time no problems.

Now the garage has plenty of space - just before we move...

Comment

Had intentions to synch my carbs, but quickly confirmed why i've been shying away from such tasks ,and leaving well enough alone....Beneath a rough semi shabby exterior lies .... An equally shabby interior. The valve cover is quite oily and the carb bodies are dirty , particularly at the throttle shafts. Since it was setup, i checked, and verified that the carbs are out of synch. I also found that moving the carb rack slightly caused variances in readings. I found the boots to be hardened and are starting to crack. removal showed no major signs of air leaks, so i cleaned them up and reinstalled them, but cant determine if the carbs are out of synch or theres air leaks, or both ( likely ) plus other issues. Clearly, the old girl needs some love, as the carbs havent been touched since the end of last century- '99, when i purchased it. At this time i'll be reassembling it, and letting the whole mess sink into my mind 'till i come up with a game plan( and money).
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Why not just follow Ed's carb rebuild instructions (http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf) and clean them up properly. Plus, if those boots are hard, they need to be replaced as well as the orings behind them.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Pulled a bunch of stuff off. Played with the wiring to see if I could get power to anything (no luck yet). Today I'm swappj g front ends and maybe, time allowing, I'll swal the rear. I need bushings for the rear so it would be a mock fit. I need to see where to weld in the shock mount and lower li kage mount.
            1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

moved the Honda R/R sense wire of the Good Bike from the orange wire(feeds coils and more) where the PO had it to the live-wire of the brake light. This lowered the system voltage to a happy 14.2-14.6. Similarly, moved the sense wire of the beater-bike's R/R from the Tailight's wire, because...my bike has lights that switch off....

Also, shifted new chain from beater-bike to GoodBike and vice-versa...so called parts bike should have hand-me-downs doncha think? but it's more work. Every new part=two replacements!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Why not just follow Ed's carb rebuild instructions (http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf) and clean them up properly. Plus, if those boots are hard, they need to be replaced as well as the orings behind them.
                I have no problem doing the work, but if I do it during the riding season, I'll want all parts needed on hand before I start.... I get antsy knowing my cycle isn't at the ready....the carb tutorial is great, plus its for my exact carbs
                sigpic

Glen
                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

It's SETTLE NAGGING DOUBT day...

Last summer I installed (preemptively) a new Rick's stator and FET (009) R/R in the GS1000G. I also pulled and examined the starter clutch, which was fine, and reinstalled the rotor using red Loctite.

Fine. Upon reassembly, I don't recall if I used any Loctite on the stator screws, even though I had to order two new ones to replace the somewhat rounded screws that I removed.

If I were a betting man (which we all are, to one degree or another) I'd wager that I didn't put any Loctite at all on those screws, which means it has to come apart for at least one reason, and probably two: 1) My peace of mind, and 2) an actual lack of thread sealant on the screws. I'll know soon, when I get it apart.

I ordered new M6x30 button head cap screws this time, so I won't have to clown around with Phillips head screws in there, and I have green Loctite ready to go, for an operation that could well be entirely unnecessary -- but I'm sure there's at least one forum member who can relate what happens when gremlins are allowed to unwind those fasteners whilst the bike is underway ...
                  and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                  __________________________________________________ ______________________
                  2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                    .... it has to come apart for at least one reason, and probably two: 1) My peace of mind, and 2) an actual lack of thread sealant on the screws. I'll know soon, when I get it apart....
                    Last night I awoke at 2:30 AM knowing I forgotten to turn of the stove, on which a pot was simmering.

Trust your gut.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                      I have green Loctite ready to go, for an operation that could well be entirely unnecessary -- .
                      ... or not. There was no Loctite on the threads, and there was one screw that put up very little resistance. I remember really cranking on them, too, and I wasn't in any hurry.

So, this time there's a reasonable degree of overkill. Maybe I need checklists at my age.
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

thought i might fit the new Ti pipe that just arrived

i better figure out how to resize pics these came out kinda large !!

old pipe

new pipe

Last edited by Guest; 07-02-2013, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Beautiful bike, are those Dymags? love the Racefit pipe where did you source it?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            Beautiful bike, are those Dymags? love the Racefit pipe where did you source it?
                            magnesium dymags
                            Ti pipe is direct from Racefit, we had it made as a special as jon at racefit had not done any to suit the XR69 setup

check this welding

Comment

That pic should have a NSFW sticker on it. lol.
                              Welding artwork.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Sweet mother of God! That machine is wickedly beautiful.
                                sigpic

Glen
                                -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                                X