No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. Ozman, MORE pictures PLEASE!!! That bike is magnificent!!!!

Tell us more!!!

Love all the machining on the lower motor mount, and footpeg mount!!!

Comment

I'm just sitting here drooling into my morning coffee... man that's awesome!
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

fitted magnesium sprocket cover/selector shaft support

Comment

Man those RaceFit TI exhaust are works of art. I'd love to have something like that but I don't even what to know how much that'd cost.

And their take on the Cooley GS? Talk about drool...

I'm also a big fan of their Kawa Z1. Really beautiful work.

Comment

Toilet was continuing to run water into the bowl some a long time after flushing. If wiggle the handle some it will quit.
            Determined that the rubber flapper valve thing was worn and needed to be replaced.
            Used that as an excuse to go for ride and stop at hardware store (or what passes for hardware store these days).

A couple days later the toilet is still running. If wiggle the handle some it will quit.
            So I get the package out of bike side bag.
            Need to wash bike cuz rode thru rain the other evening.

A couple days later the toilet is still running. If wiggle the handle some it will quit.
            So I pick up the package off the work bench in garage.
            Need to check oil in bike.

So I bring the package inside the house.
            Need to install new grill grate.

So I move the package from the entryway.
            Went for an evening ride.

So I move the package from the bathroom counter, and put it on top of the toilet tank.
            Need to get some pictures off my camera.

So I actually open package.
            Need a couple coats of wax on bike tank cuzz slopped some gas on it that afternoon.

A couple of days later the toilet is still running. If wiggle the handle some it will quit.
            So I actually take off the toilet tank top, and swap out the rubber flapper valve thing. And it fits, and it works.

Went for 3 hour ride.

Last edited by Redman; 07-06-2013, 09:18 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Spent a good hunk of yesterday trying to find an intermittent electrical issue on the 1100E.
              Twice now the headlight has gone out, both high and low...
              Then some time later, it came back on.
              This time I tried to track it down, before it came on again....nope...still looking.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Went for my first ride last night after addressing a potential air leak, and synching the carbs. I was shocked and pleased at how much smoother it ran, particularly at low speeds.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Relay ingition bypass is GO

I figured I needed this mod as described in this link:

I did the voltage check as described and it showed I was loosing 1.25 volts at the coils! That might not be my whole problem, but it's part of it! I wired it up but initially spliced in the new common wire to the coils below the connectors. That is, I left the coil's connectors in the circuit because they looked pretty good. Checked voltage again. Now loosing only .6V. Not good enough! I cut out the connectors and soldered the wires directly. Now dropping only .1V! This thing has been a bear to start recently even when hot. I tried it and it instantly fired up! Moral of the story: even if the connector looks good, it can still be causing problems.

Mechanical
                  The mod says to put the relay near the coils under the tank. I didn't like that because it's too hard to get to. I put mine in the toolbag holder on the right side. Mounting was easy. I attached the relay using one of the holder's screws and ground wire with another. It's easy to tell if it's working and replace if it quits.

Result
                  Instant, easy, like-new starting. Much more power. On test ride I gained another gear I could never use before because she didn't have enough torque. I'm betting on a 20% boost in MPG.

Comment

Relay ingition bypass part 2

Here's the other side showing the blue wire with fuse. Side note. I used to have a Land Rover Discovery and they are notorious for electrical problems as they age. Most can be traced to corroding grounding straps between the body, engine, and frame. I bought a couple of battery cables and ran them between the negative terminal, alternator mounting bracket, and body. All the electrical gremlins were banished, and there was much rejoicing.
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2013, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I didn't wrench on anything. It was a perfect, sunny day and I went for a long ride. The bike was running superbly and it was one of those days I couldn't make a mistake if I tried to. The "Doctor" would have been behind me, eating my dust. LOL Four hours later I came home and parked the bike in the garage. The wife had not even noticed I was gone. PERFECT!!
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Tried unsuccessfully to strip the paint off the carb bodies; I'll probably have to go pick up a new roloc wheel or something.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                          Tried unsuccessfully to strip the paint off the carb bodies; I'll probably have to go pick up a new roloc wheel or something.
                          If you have an old can of brake fluid (not brake cleaner) and a small brush, the paint will probably come of fairly easily. There are few paints that are impervious to brake fluid. Brake fluid is not harmful to aluminum.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks Earl, I'll give it a shot.
                            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                              Thanks Earl, I'll give it a shot.
                              Wear glasses. Brake fluid burns the snit out of your eyes if you get a splash.

Comment

At last! I have something to do this week... started making a replacement bracket for my fly screen after the left one fatigued and broke on the way back from the last GSR/Katana run.

I'm going double layer this time to hopefully give them enough extra strength to survive a bit longer.

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X