No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

....New tubeless tires on an old Honda. Hard enough taking these off and on, but A Real Brute getting bead to seat without Real AIR!,
    because I was using a car-tire pumped up to 45# as the air source . Pumped up with a tiny 12volt air-pump no less, so I had to take it apart and put some oil on the tiny piston as it started to squeak... Other internet tricks all failing.... I was about to admit defeat after 7 tries on the front and take it somewhere where "they know what they are doing".
    and then it gently "pop---popped".

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
      Installed V&H 4-1 pipes and Progressive shocks--pics forthcoming. Also, R2 the main jets to compensate for my new pipes. Found some discrepancies with the Airbox and fuel hose. Got to remove the carbs again tomorrow...but those new pipes sound awesome!

Ed
      Yeah it was a good day for working on Ed's bike, got a lot done to it and couple things he wasn't expecting as well.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Worked on boring crap yesterday namely our Windstar. Putting it back on the road after a winter hiatus but it needed front struts and rear shocks and while I had it apart figured it was a good time to do the front brake pads (only 2/3 worn but while I'm there might as well) and replace the plugs. It was a successful day but one strut was a real PITA to get the bottom back in. Nothing very BIG hammer didn't fix though.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

With all thanks aimed at this site and BassClift's site.... New stator, New R/R, new Battery. Instrument, turn signals, brake lights wires renewed. New Front Tire, Front brakes, Rear Brakes replaced. Brake fluid flushed and changed. Oil changed, K&N Filter cleaned and re-oiled. ( not just today...this has been a 3 week project)

I was going to do a video detailing what I had done but got too involved in the work.

Got it safety inspected and Registered today. Now..if it will just quit snowing
          sigpic
          Well, my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle.

1980 GS850GL

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Worked on boring crap yesterday namely our Windstar. Putting it back on the road after a winter hiatus but it needed front struts and rear shocks and while I had it apart figured it was a good time to do the front brake pads (only 2/3 worn but while I'm there might as well) and replace the plugs. It was a successful day but one strut was a real PITA to get the bottom back in. Nothing very BIG hammer didn't fix though.
            Windstar? Ford bought back our POS windstar as a part of a recall for a cracked rear axle, and corrosion induced potential failure of the front subframe.......i got the recall notice , then checked the axle...cracked halfway around......
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

1980 GS 1000E parked in the back of the garage for three or four years. Dead engine I thought. One cylinder had zero compression. 0.0 Rode it around the block a few times, everything worked except the one cylinder, but it was stone cold dead. So I parked it, started collecting 1100GK top end parts for it, lost interest, it sat. Wheeled it out to steal parts for another bike the other day, just for grins fired it up, it ran on all four, tested compression and now all four have compression? WTF? Sitting four years freed up the rings? That makes no sense to me.

I'm going to ride it this summer and do the 1100 top end next winter.

It's like I just got a free motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Windstar? Ford bought back our POS windstar as a part of a recall for a cracked rear axle, and corrosion induced potential failure of the front subframe.......i got the recall notice , then checked the axle...cracked halfway around......
                Yup, a Windster. That's was kind of my reaction when I got it. Hope it works out. It's a 2000 and got it for cheap a few years ago from my father in law when he downsized. He never drove it and only had 9,000 kms on it. I've used it for work the last three summers as winters are brutal on vehicles up here and I do 50,000 - 60,000kms a year but the '96 Saturn wagon I've been using is finally crusher material after 450,000. Windstar has 100,000kms so far but now it's getting put into full time service. So far so good with it so wish me luck. Right now it's basically in as new conditon but that will probably change real quick in the next year or so. It had better behave, I've got the crusher guys phone number.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  1980 GS 1000E parked in the back of the garage for three or four years. Dead engine I thought. One cylinder had zero compression. 0.0 Rode it around the block a few times, everything worked except the one cylinder, but it was stone cold dead. So I parked it, started collecting 1100GK top end parts for it, lost interest, it sat. Wheeled it out to steal parts for another bike the other day, just for grins fired it up, it ran on all four, tested compression and now all four have compression? WTF? Sitting four years freed up the rings? That makes no sense to me.

I'm going to ride it this summer and do the 1100 top end next winter.

It's like I just got a free motorcycle.
                  You Lucky Guy! The Leprechauns came through - you must have done something good for them or for Eire!
                  I'm going to start leaving a bowl of cream beside my parts bike and see if that'll work for me too!

Comment

I pulled the battery out of the BMW. It was turning the engine over, but not enough to start it. I thought I would put it on the charger. When I looked at it it had 5/06 written on it! 8 years on the battery, I think I'll spring for a new one...
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                      Yup, a Windster. That's was kind of my reaction when I got it. Hope it works out. It's a 2000 and got it for cheap a few years ago from my father in law when he downsized. He never drove it and only had 9,000 kms on it. I've used it for work the last three summers as winters are brutal on vehicles up here and I do 50,000 - 60,000kms a year but the '96 Saturn wagon I've been using is finally crusher material after 450,000. Windstar has 100,000kms so far but now it's getting put into full time service. So far so good with it so wish me luck. Right now it's basically in as new conditon but that will probably change real quick in the next year or so. It had better behave, I've got the crusher guys phone number.
                      Ours was an 02. Not sure if yours is the older bodystyle. When I recieved the letter, I immediately checked it. It was craked right in the middle. The Ford dealer didn't appreciate my built Ford tough paint paint marker note I left on it.....no sense of humor. For safetys sake check it intermittently. During the height of the recall I saw 15-20 windstars at all of the local dealers, some with the axle completely broken.
                      sigpic
                      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                      -Rusty old scooter.
                      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Helped Charmayne tape off her brakes so we can try to paint them this weekend.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I got the '68 Cortina GT running and pulled it out of the garage, then I got the Lotus 7 running and pulled it out of the garage. It had a couple tires with no air, but they weren't flat. The V700 Victoracer DOT race tires have a very stiff sidewall, and the Seven weighs under 1100 lbs. The tires won't go flat even if I remove the schraeder valve, the car just doesn't weigh enough to mash them down flat. then I hung a charger on the 1000G and got it going. that bike cost me 900 bucks. I found NOS Samsonite for 375. It had decent BT45s on itvwhen I bought it,and I wore them out (before getting the carbs working right). I paid a guy to fix a head gasket leak, and i paid Chef to do the carbs, because I didn't have time to do them right. This is a 2000 dollar bike all done, and its ready to cross continents. I'm buying a new clothes drier tomorrow, and wanted the cars out of the way of the appliance vendor. Those used Whirlpool washer and drier that I bought in the 90s were awesome. The best I ever used to get dirt and grease out of clothes. I can't afford that kind of quality new, so my new washer and drier are Crosley. I hope they will be close to as good.

I'll probably be draining carbs tomorrow. The Lotus has the original dual webers (the factory kept records) The Cortina has dual Delortto two barrel side drafts. The Suzuki runs bitchen with rebuilt calipers, carbs, new Avons, etc.
                          Last edited by 850 Combat; 04-02-2014, 12:01 AM.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            You Lucky Guy! The Leprechauns came through - you must have done something good for them or for Eire!
                            I'm going to start leaving a bowl of cream beside my parts bike and see if that'll work for me too!
                            Be careful, you might get cats!

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Be careful, you might get cats!
                              or Fairies !
                              just imagine - them coming in the night working in your bike shed...

Comment

With Pics & Thread Link

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                                Installed V&H 4-1 pipes and Progressive shocks--pics forthcoming. Also, R2 the main jets to compensate for my new pipes. Found some discrepancies with the Airbox and fuel hose. Got to remove the carbs again tomorrow...but those new pipes sound awesome!

Ed
                                Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                                Yeah it was a good day for working on Ed's bike, got a lot done to it and couple things he wasn't expecting as well.
                                NEW PROGRESSIVE SHOCKS

NEW V&H PIPES!!!! (NOT COMPLETELY BOLTED)

PIPE AS IT LAY HANGING

CARBS RE-JETTED FROM112.5 to 117.5

WASHERS REMOVED FROM THE 112.5s...NOT SURE WHY THEY WERE ON THERE

CRIME SCENE...BILL WAS REPLACING THE FORK OIL AND BOOM!

A LEAK IN THE CENTER OF THE CARBS REVEALED A DISCREPANCY/FIXXED!!

FINISHED PRODUCT!!!! THANKS BILL!!!

Ed

EDIT--More pics here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=216696&page=4
                                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-02-2014, 01:29 PM.
                                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                                X