No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished wiring in the 'almost' factory trailer relay setup I made for Edge.

Tapped into the power point line located in the left 1/4 trim panel and tied the rest of the wires into the factory harness. All connections are crimped and soldered. Even used western union splices on the harness side of the chassis wrapped in Scotch 33+. Now I have a factory appearing trailer hitch setup which cost less than $25 dollars.

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dale wins the ingenuity prize once again. Good work my friend.

I installed a new fuel pump in my '06 Nissan Sentra yesterday. Pump is in the fuel tank, accessed through a panel under the rear seat. Despite being as careful as possible, the design of the pump/tank is such that it's near impossible to not spill gas when removing the pump. Lots of cussing. Went to install the new pump and found out the large sealing O-ring had swollen and wouldn't fit in the groove anymore. More cussing. Mad at myself for not anticipating this and buying a new O-ring. Pulled the new pump back out of the tank, spilling more gas, and more cussing. As a hail mary I threw the O-ring in the oven at 170F and cooked the thing, in an attempt to drive out whatever was making it swell. Cooked it an hour and then threw it in the freezer to see if I could shrink it further. Low and behold, it worked! O-ring returned to normal size and the new pump went in without further drama. Thanks heavens!

Photo below isn't mine, but shows the situation exactly.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

got the front fender off the 81 gs 850 mostly all sanded and applied the bondo to some dings

Comment

Pulled the engine out of a Chevy Tracker. All those connections you are supposed to disconnect before removing...you can't. The bolts that you have to remove you can't get to etc. etc. it is finally out and mounted it on the engine stand and turned it over and pulled the pan. The #2 connecting rod bearing....gone, not present, missing.

V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Tecumseh ex-SnowKing engine arrived today with slight carrier damage, soon sorted out and turning over. Good comp on it, but will have to mount it on a board before attempting starting. Seller said it had been running, but that was a while ago. Whatever, it's quite a nice little unit and the only real faults I can find with these are mostly carb-related. Get them set up right and they just work, and reliably. Just like something else around here, it seems.
            This will be in a small stand-by battery-charging set, coupled to an inverter which will feed a decent UPS, in turn, supplying the PC, the comms gear, and a few LED lights. If I have the wiring set up, it will also work the fan/pump on the oil furnace when needed, but that's not even plumbed in yet.
            Got plenty of coal, getting more gas, and other supplies. It's not exactly like totally out in the boonies, and the power is reasonably reliable, but last February I was off -power for 3 days and getting bored witless with all that was available on a couple of radio channels. That, more than anything else drove me to look at a way of having more and better comms links.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Had enough of this cold and rainy crap so I'm parked for the winter. Cleaned up all the junk that piled up on my bike bench, sitting here trying to figure out my plan for this winter. Did the 550/650 thing last year. Either intake+exhaust or suspension+brakes, don't think I'll have the money for both. So help me god I'm putting my wire harness through a shredder after I make a new one.

Comment

Volvo V70. A/C pulley is making a nasal moan with the clutch off. Suspected all sorts of other stuff at first. Belt off and it's clear it's the a/c. Now just got to figure a way to get all the way down there and get the clutch off without breaking into the gas cct. Not bad for 150 k miles.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Had to replace 13 and 33 here on the 75 Wing. Little antifreeze seepage.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Picked up a couple of pulleys for the Tecumseh engine - next step, insulating part of the workshop wall, to allow the bench to sit where it was intended to be, then populate that wall with a shelf, then allow things to shuffle over a bit and eventually I might get back to doing stuff on the genset, Yamaha and Suzukis, with any luck.
                    ---- Dave
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Finishing up the rebuld

I'm finally see the light at the end of that log tunnel, totally rebuilding my GS850G.
                      The mental list gets smaller and shorter.
                      Exhaust studs made smaller and custom nuts installed, new battery and starter motor leads and terminal rubbers installed, fairing brackets on and the fairing mounted ( just got the black anodised bolts today in the mail), indicator relay bracket made and installed, new engine casing badges glued on, new centre stand rubber stop installed, new brake bleed nipples installed, and the airbox side rubbers cleaned ready to install.
                      jobs to finish before getting the engine started.
                      Aircleaner side covers installing.
                      bleed brakes.
                      fill oil in final drive.
                      wiring and battery voltage check
                      new fuel lines
                      machine up a set of seat hinge pins.
                      and finally a final torque bolt check everywhere.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking mighty sharp there mate. Are you certain that you want to ride it and risk getting some dust or dirt on it????

Comment

I had to put my sunglasses on to look at that!! VERY clean looking machine.
                          Rob
                          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Somebody told me once, that they all looked like that, sometime.
                            I didn't believe him. Thought he was pulling my leg.
                            ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
                              Looking mighty sharp there mate. Are you certain that you want to ride it and risk getting some dust or dirt on it????
                              Originally posted by azr View Post
                              I had to put my sunglasses on to look at that!! VERY clean looking machine.
                              +1.........
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks for the praise, it's reasonably stock, with just a little added bling.
                                Just bled the front brakes, using a syringe and clear tube to back flush the air out of the system, but the lever still is about 3/4 inch away from the throttle before it tightens up.
                                The back brake won't bleed at all, so I'm thinking I've installed the slave cylinder rubber back to front. It's all new components except for the actual cylinder, and I've force bled it both ways and still no resistance on the brake pedal.
                                Looks like I'll have to drain it all and check the cylinder again, but I would of thought it leaked or locked up if I got the slave cylinder piston rubber around the wrong way.
                                Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
                                X