what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
    Got an update from Steve today! I should have my carbs returned soon. Thanks Steve!!!

Ed
    Hey I recognize those clamps lol.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
      Hey I recognize those clamps lol.
      Yes, thank you Mr Bill.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Removed the back wheel so I can get started on it. Found a bad bearing. Ordered a new set.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well I have been getting around to sorting an oil weep from the sump. So the exhaust has been off while the sump was dropped and cleaned. Once the new gasket arrived, on reassembly I found a stripped thread, so a 6 mil helicoil was required. Any way all sorted and oil refilled, however I now found out why silicon gasket paste had been used by the PO. So oil drained and sump off again. While the oil drained I thought I would do a bit of exhaust polishing, no not that type you prevented lot, the one that uses chrome polish. Now the exhaust had sat on my bench for three weeks and as I rolled it over to get at all side I could hear a rattling noise, odd don't remember that when I removed it. After much shaking two 8mm bolts, a plastic silicon tube cap, a piece of wire wool and about 100 peanuts came out. A mouse had converted my muffler into a food store! Never a dull day in the work shop.

Happy spannering all,
          Greg
          Suzuki GS1000 1978
          Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

Comment

My new job(s) are eve. to late night weekdays and days weekends. Kind of nice change because been free during day/light.

I've just finished up a 4" inch x 4" inch Suzuki "S" logo that I cut out of brass.
            I printed a "Suzuki S logo" off google images (one that was an outline, used least printer ink) (...using funky mac, or post pics yet)...

I cut the brass from a thin brass pot, free junk thing, filed and sanded edges and then glued it to a scrap of bicycle inner tube with super-glue gel.
            Going to rubber cement it on over the only gas tank dent that bugs me.
            It's a 3 3/4" x3 3/4" gas tank dent obviously from a punch on tank (has knuckle marks, really p's me off, previous owner damage) .

I cut the inner tube just a hair larger for background. Wish I'd used much thicker brass, but it covers dent perfect, really adds a gold "bling" ...probably going to peel-coat rest of tank until I have more time. (Going to get barnacles if I don't in my new climate...)

I finished up my GPS mount made from a 3/4" "Split ring hanger" ($1.70 @ Lowe's) , a sawed down $1 "selfie stick" (actually 0.25 because they're "phasing them out for the selfie stick with push button in handle clerk said LOL), and a cut section of 3/8th" all-thread rod.
            Got finished and realized my little Tom-Tom GPS mounts PERFECTLY on the ledge of my Emgo Viper fairing so no need URGH! still good for cell-phone though...
            I'll post some pics when I can of both my silly finished projects...

Just ordered , went with a "speedometer repair cable kit" dunno proper method to crimp the ends on, comes with a tiny "tool" maybe instructions(?)
            (Advice?). No idea how fast without the GPS these days...cable arrives couple days.

Comment

going to throw the battery on the charger in hope of warmer days to come....
              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

After a recent incident of feeling like I have a lack of control at high speeds, I've been servicing my T in prep for the spring.

My forks have never been serviced, so I am replacing the springs, installing PVC spacers, to replace the air usually put in, new 10W fork oil, bleeding front brake system ( my gut tells me the prior owner never touched that either) , grease swing arm, 2 new tires/air valves, replacing non working rear brake switch, soldering the spark plug leads directly to the coil terminals, as the original lugs keep cutting out. While I had the rear wheel apart I de-greased the sprocket and wheel hub, and polished the rear brake hub.

Once this stuff is done I need to check the valve clearance, install a new valve cover gasket, and sync the carbs. Then a final detailing, and I'm done....( uh, sure I am)

Other than that...really not much.....
                PB
                Central Jersey
                82' Suzuki GS750T

"Old school is the best school"

Comment

PB, you've been busy! We'll have to get out on a ride once the weather breaks. You, me, and Glen... and whoever else is in the area and willing!

If you need help with the valves and the sync, I just went through with my bike. Glen let me borrow his mercury carb sync tool. I'm sure he'd be willing to let you use it as well if need be...
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Buddy came over and we got after his 85 Honda VF700C that was given to him after setting some 12+ years. Carbs off, both calipers broke down, clutch slave cylinder broke down,radiator removed for some flushing out, speedo cable removed and found it was broke off at the bottom near the drive, Tank soaked with Acetone to dissolve the old varnished gasoline residue that was in the tank, brake and clutch master cylinders removed and broke down and cleaned.....just a usual weekend for me.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Put Charmayne's new headlight together though not on the bike yet and did a valve adjustment on mine with Steve showing me how to use the zip tie. I can now say I'm a convert as it was less stressful than using the tool and didn't really take that much more time.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by gordinho80 View Post
                        PB, you've been busy! We'll have to get out on a ride once the weather breaks. You, me, and Glen... and whoever else is in the area and willing!

If you need help with the valves and the sync, I just went through with my bike. Glen let me borrow his mercury carb sync tool. I'm sure he'd be willing to let you use it as well if need be...
                        Yes... For the ride, and the synch tool. PB, if you need it let me know.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well, not so much today, but over the past week anyway. I moved the stock signal lights in closer. It started with the rear, I kept catching a leg on them when I would walk around the bike. I didn't want to ad aftermarket, so this keeps it more stock looking but still different.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hear is the back.

Btw, how do I attach more than one picture per reply?
                            Attached Files

Comment

My mechanic came over today (he does house calls) to confirm that my #3 cylinder really is still alive. He rebuilt the carbs a few weeks ago and the first time I went to start the bike afterwards, the #3 cylinder wasn't firing at all. I assumed there was some sort of problem with his rebuild. So he came over today, started the bike and let it run for a minute or two after which the #3 cylinder did start to fire. Apparently the bike is just really cold-blooded. Maybe it won't be so reluctant to fire in the future.

He and I also decided together that I should probably just go ahead and buy new clutch plates and a couple of bearings for the clutch. It is making a clunking sound that you can feel in the clutch release arm.

After he left, I finished detailing the rear of the frame, all the wiring for the rear turn signals and tail light, and the two plastic pieces of the rear fender. I then re-installed the seat tail cover and the two side covers, which I had removed a couple of weeks ago to clean and polish.

I don't think I'm going to make this particular bike as spectacular as some I've seen on this website, but I guarantee it'll be the nicest one in Ann Arbor, MI!

Comment

Maybe your mechanic should sync the carbs so the butterflies all are open sufficienty for it to fire ALL 4 correctly. If then other three get hot way sooner than the 3 does then theres an issue.

Secondly, maybe your mechanic should remove the clutch basket and see that the dampner springs arent loose before recommending a bunch of possibly unnecessary parts. And maybe your should verify the mixture screw settings are open enough for the cylinders to fire at an idle as well. Seems your mechanic may need a tutor.
                                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X