No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing much today, just ran a tap down where there used to be a stud to hold the Yam exhaust on the frame. After attempting it last week with the one and only 10mm tap I have, I obtained a start tap today and had at it. Oddly, the toolstore's start tap seems to be more of a very very start tap, and not close enough to the intermediate tap I already have to make an easy transition. Enough is done to make it work though.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I finally got my Shop unpacked and organized to my liking. It's not a garage but I have room to maneuver a bike in and work on it in warmth. My buddy has a new motorcycle bench he made that's moving in later this week. Two full benches... storage up the wahzo, its awesome. Not as nice as Trevor's.... But It will make do!

Also did allot of work on the GR650... Which is it's on thread
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Installed new grips, didn't realize how smooth and slick the old ones were until I used my new cold weather gloves. Couldn't keep ahold of them!. Took a closer look and the ridges were worn down and smooth like a babies butt. Then again they were nearly 20 years old too.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

got the bandit lubed up and read to change the handlebars to renthol

Comment

Thanks to the generosity of GS1150Pilot, I now have carb boots.....they arrived today and I spent time in the 20º garage installing the carbs.
            The idea of intake ports with rags stuffed in them doesn't appeal to me so I put the carbs on despite the cold.

THANKS MR GS1150 PILOT!
            20150110_225343.jpg
            Last edited by dorkburger; 01-11-2015, 12:03 AM. Reason: my grammar were bad
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Hey DB..nothing like new carb boots! Put some on my 750 last year, boy does it ever make it easier taking the carbs in and out. Nice job.
              No signature

Comment

I have new carb boots
                was gonna put em on last year
                maybe this sumeer

they sure are pliable

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  I have new carb boots
                  was gonna put em on last year
                  maybe this sumeer

they sure are pliable
                  Funny, I finally did mine a year after I planned to as well.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

We watch MythBusters at our house when the grand kids are around, so we decided to do the rocket car in scale. Having a bunch of GI Joe toys around, the car of choice was a Humvee. Unlike Mythbusters, we found center of balance on the toy and loaded in a C6-5 rocket motor and set up the fuse to drag the ground behind the rig on a wire both sides of the motor on a board track, after coming off a ramp.

In a round about way it worked and the toy flew in a even trajectory when the motor ignited. The wires being powered by a bat charger.

A video link will be posted in the owners section when I get it. Was a fun experiment and we will be doing it again.

V
                    Gustov
                    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                    81 GS 1000 G
                    79 GS 850 G
                    81 GS 850 L
                    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                    80 GS 550 L
                    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                    2002 Honda 919
                    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Finally got around to installing a choke cable on Project GS this afternoon...

... somewhere, Trevor is feeling faint over the rust and slime on my bike!
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Had to get the jetting right on my heater... It was making a some smoke on fire up. Now not as much.... What a beast! I think it produces thrust...

Then Came to work
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayabuser View Post
                          Finally got around to installing a choke cable on Project GS this afternoon...

... somewhere, Trevor is feeling faint over the rust and slime on my bike!
                          Thats a tidy choke setup....I like it.
                          sigpic

Glen
                          -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Now the XS is running, and I have an idea what needs doing properly, it's time to strip and clean the carbs. They seem to be Mikuni VM34s but until I get them off and stripped and measured I can't be totally sure exactly what's been fitted. I have a slight suspicion that motor might not be quite standard internally. If there's a 750 kit on it, I'll be happy enough
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This weekend actually got to spend some time on the EFE. Haven't had a chance to really do much in the last couple of months. Anyway pulled some more parts of it and went to my stash of parts I pulled off and cleaned a while ago and now I can start putting some stuff back on. I'll start at the back because it's mostly cleaned up and ready for reassembly but still have to go over the front end. Pulled the gauges off and discovered they are too badly damaged to salvage. I thought it just had a cracked outer case from when it was dropped but the inner case is also broken and what i thought was good glass is actually a glued in piece of plexy. I did managed to get what looks like a decent set of gauges off ebay except for a cracked glass which i knew about. Was going to take the good glass off the old gauges and .....well you know the story. I guess I'll have to see if I can find somebody to cut me a new piece. It looks like thin non-glare picture frame glass so off to glass shop. Only problem is it's got hole in it for the trip meter, they should be able to fix me up hopefully.
                              Last edited by Sandy; 01-12-2015, 11:25 PM.
                              '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

A friend of the wife was having car problems. It just quit running after making those lovely clinking and clacking sounds. I went to their house to diagnose and unfortunately I was right.
                                After removing a part of the timing belt shield, the belt was actually still turning! Of course the engine just stumbled and did not start. I finished removing the outer part of the timing belt shield and
                                saw the belt jumping over the intake cam sprocket while continuing to turn the exhaust sprocket. I told them that the tensioner had gone south for the winter. Well as no good deed goes
                                unpunished, guess who was lucky enough to have to volunteer repair it? On the Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsubishi 2.0L and 2.4L engines, the "kit" to repair it includes the water pump also.
                                Naturally, you HAVE to remove both cam sprockets to remove the inner shield that hides the water pump! Joy, joy, happy, happy! Not much of a mess here after the remaining few parts of
                                the tensioner were found... 5 ball bearings, a steel ring and a carcass. Here is some of the fun with most of the parts removed. The sprocket on the lower left is the water pump drive.
                                Straight down from the right (exhaust) cam you can see the groove into the block from the outer tensioner wheel that ate into it with no ball bearings in it any longer.

Last edited by Guest; 01-12-2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X