what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
    A friend of the wife was having car problems. It just quit running after making those lovely clinking and clacking sounds. I went to their house to diagnose and unfortunately I was right.
    After removing a part of the timing belt shield, the belt was actually still turning! Of course the engine just stumbled and did not start. I finished removing the outer part of the timing belt shield and
    saw the belt jumping over the intake cam sprocket while continuing to turn the exhaust sprocket. I told them that the tensioner had gone south for the winter. Well as no good deed goes
    unpunished, guess who was lucky enough to have to volunteer repair it? On the Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsubishi 2.0L and 2.4L engines, the "kit" to repair it includes the water pump also.
    Naturally, you HAVE to remove both cam sprockets to remove the inner shield that hides the water pump! Joy, joy, happy, happy! Not much of a mess here after the remaining few parts of
    the tensioner were found... 5 ball bearings, a steel ring and a carcass. Here is some of the fun with most of the parts removed. The sprocket on the lower left is the water pump drive.
    Straight down from the right (exhaust) cam you can see the groove into the block from the outer tensioner wheel that ate into it with no ball bearings in it any longer.

Your job maybe will either a lot easier as not fixing it or a lot hard if you. Good chance it's interference fit as in bent valves.
    Last edited by Sandy; 01-13-2015, 01:00 AM.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

A friend of the wife was having car problems. It just quit running after making those lovely clinking and clacking sounds. I went to their house to diagnose and unfortunately I was right.
      After removing a part of the timing belt shield, the belt was actually still turning! Of course the engine just stumbled and did not start. I finished removing the outer part of the timing belt shield and
      saw the belt jumping over the intake cam sprocket while continuing to turn the exhaust sprocket. I told them that the tensioner had gone south for the winter. Well as no good deed goes
      unpunished, guess who was lucky enough to have to volunteer repair it? On the Chrysler/Dodge/Mitsubishi 2.0L and 2.4L engines, the "kit" to repair it includes the water pump also.
      Naturally, you HAVE to remove both cam sprockets to remove the inner shield that hides the water pump! Joy, joy, happy, happy! Not much of a mess here after the remaining few parts of
      the tensioner were found... 5 ball bearings, a steel ring and a carcass. Here is some of the fun with most of the parts removed. The sprocket on the lower left is the water pump drive.
      Straight down from the right (exhaust) cam you can see the groove into the block from the outer tensioner wheel that ate into it with no ball bearings in it any longer.

The Only 4 cylinder Chrystler I'm Proficient in repairing is this type of motor...

IN this type of car...

I wish I had more pictures but I was very poor in 2003. All my money I had was dumped into that thing... Did manage to pull out a 12.8 1/4 mile time.

But the 2.4 Neon/PT/Eclipse engine... I'm pretty sure it interference type. bet the valves are bent.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
      Originally posted by Hayabuser
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Stripped all the old tape and sleeve off my wiring harness.
        Added some new wires to the original harness so i can do the Ignition relay mod and the "lights out on start" mod
        Also rewrapped the harness and some of the smaller parts

Comment

That looks fun.....Years ago I had a Renault Alliance- a 50 dollar running car in decent shape. In a noreaster (winter storm in the Mid Atlantic/ NewEngland region), in driving wind and rain and while passing a truck it just shut off. We towed it home with a chain.....

Broken timing belt and bent valves. It was a 4 cylinder, so it wasnt terrible to repair.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I put a new Speigler rear brake line on the RD400. The Banjo bolts is came with didn't work, and the two ends are slightly twisted. Had a hard time re bleeding it too. Its all good now.

Pulled the rear wheel off of the red 1000G, as the new Avon was leaking. I took it to a new motorcycle tire shop after determining that the air was leaking from between the rim and tire. As I suspected, there was dirt between the rim and tire. It cost me $47 to have the tire re-mounted and balanced. When they brought it back, it was mounted backwards, which I didn't figure out until I started to reinstall it. A gallon of gas and an hour later, they graciously redid it without complaint or argument.

All nice and holding.

The shop where I bought the tire and originally had it mounted went out of business
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Not sure if this is related but it may help. Same as the Mitsubishi:

How to keep your engine from vibrating your teeth out! Important Hyundai and Mitsubishi dsm balance shaft info not mentioned in manual. Don't do timing belt ...

Here's a list of interference engines. Seems like yours is:

AGCO provides overall lowest costs of vehicle ownership. We do this by providing extremely high quality automotive service, following the theories and practices of Dr. W. Edwards Deming.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

2000 DOHC 2.4L Chrysler engine. Thanks guys! I explained to the owners husband that everything that I saw while looking for a timing belt/kit said that it was indeed an interference engine
                and that it would most likely need a recon head as well. He said that what he researched stated that they did a design change after the 1998 engine so as to just clear the valves in the event
                of a timing belt failure. I also explained to them that as the exhaust cam and crank were still turning while he was trying to re-start it, the intake cam was probably in a position that would
                still cause harm to those valves. I said that AT BEST he had a 50/50% chance that the valves were not bent. He is willing to take that gamble anyway and wants it replaced. Cross fingers.

Comment

I'd retime the engine with a new belt and check compression before you put the rest back together. If compression is good then you probably dodged the bullet.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Great suggestion I might do but, regardless either it runs or it is totally F'd up. On a lighter note, I was explaining to the husband that at least I could use the experience of working on their engine
                    as my daughter has the same one in her 2008 PT Cruiser a couple of days ago. Well, as God works in mysterious ways, our daughter called last night and her POS is not running and all of the local
                    shops want to bend her over for an electrical problem. It appears that a friend and I will be going on a road trip to either try to repair it on the spot (Sears store parking lot) or transport it back here
                    the 260+ miles. More... joy, joy, happy, happy. Tomorrow will be a very long day indeed. Currently UP TO 30 degrees and time to get back at the Stratus repair. (outside in the driveway)

Comment

Back for some bike-related stuff...
                      It became obvious that one cylinder wasn't pulling its weight and this is what I found when I stripped the RH carb...

Dropping the drain plug on the LH carb revealed more of the same crud, so I'll strip that tomorrow.
                      Turns out they're VM34s with 185 main jets, so I'll have a poke around the Mikuni specs and see if there's a clue there that might give me an inkling if any tuning work's been done on the engine. I don't really know, at this point, whether these carbs, with that jetting, might have been nothing more than an off-the-shelf upgrade to a standard lump or not.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        The Only 4 cylinder Chrystler I'm Proficient in repairing is this type of motor...

IN this type of car...

I wish I had more pictures but I was very poor in 2003. All my money I had was dumped into that thing... Did manage to pull out a 12.8 1/4 mile time.

But the 2.4 Neon/PT/Eclipse engine... I'm pretty sure it interference type. bet the valves are bent.

13.1 on 18psi. hope to have it back on the road this year after a 6 year hiatus while i fixed up my house and made babies bigger turbo, bigger injectors, i do my own chip burning, better intake, lsd in the trans, should be fun.

its not nearly as clean anymore either after sitting outside for a long time. oh well... makes waxing punks even sweeter.

2000 DOHC 2.4L Chrysler engine. Thanks guys! I explained to the owners husband that everything that I saw while looking for a timing belt/kit said that it was indeed an interference engine
                        and that it would most likely need a recon head as well. He said that what he researched stated that they did a design change after the 1998 engine so as to just clear the valves in the event
                        of a timing belt failure. I also explained to them that as the exhaust cam and crank were still turning while he was trying to re-start it, the intake cam was probably in a position that would
                        still cause harm to those valves. I said that AT BEST he had a 50/50% chance that the valves were not bent. He is willing to take that gamble anyway and wants it replaced. Cross fingers.
                        the 2.4l is valve to valve interference. you might be ok.

Brian
                        Attached Files
                        Brian

82 GS1100E
                        sigpic

Comment

A little bit cleaner, back together part way and tried to fire it without adding the balancer, Alt., P/S, etc. It turns over better but the battery is weak. I will try a compression test on all cylinders
                          after the battery charges and after tomorrows 10+ hour road trip to help my daughter. Hoping to find out more Thursday.

Comment

Finally got around to the bearing in the a/c compressor clutch on the Volvo V70. Borrowed some home made pullers from another Forum and managed to do the job without disconnecting the hoses although did have to take move the p/s pump, remove the alternator to get enough room to dismount the compressor and rotate it 45 degrees up. And they said it was impossible
                            Repairing a/c in January
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Not today... but recently started tearing it down. Some aesthetic changes coming along with some maintenance.

Comment

It is cold and I am freezing but, I WIN! Click on video...

Comment

Working...
                                X