what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
    It is cold and I am freezing but, I WIN! Click on video...

awesome!

glad the valves didnt crash.

it does seem to be shaking a bit. did you do a compression test?
    Last edited by reliant_turbo; 01-15-2015, 10:19 PM.
    Brian

82 GS1100E
    sigpic

Comment

Two motor mounts were not attached and it is almost out of gasoline. Compression #'s were low but it does have over 165,000 miles showing.
      Added a can of Berryman Total Fuel System cleaner to clean up the valves and injectors. It is running much better when at operating temp. and with the motor mounts attached.
      Tomorrow it goes for a test flogging.

Edit: The balancer was also off in that vid.

Comment

Time to retire this camera from video duty as it no longer focuses.
        All wrapped up and back to use...

Comment

Originally posted by GSX1000E View Post
          Two motor mounts were not attached and it is almost out of gasoline. Compression #'s were low but it does have over 165,000 miles showing.
          Added a can of Berryman Total Fuel System cleaner to clean up the valves and injectors. It is running much better when at operating temp. and with the motor mounts attached.
          Tomorrow it goes for a test flogging.

Edit: The balancer was also off in that vid.
          gotcha.

were the compression numbers even across the board?
          Brian

82 GS1100E
          sigpic

Comment

Yes. low but not for this altitude. 100 here equals about 130 at Sea level.

reliant, PM sent.
            Last edited by Guest; 01-16-2015, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Yesterday, both carbs stripped, cleaned and rebuilt, and now have the internal details of main jetting. Interestingly, the float level on one side was a couple of mm different from the other carb. I also found the Mikuni float level illustration that I could find related to an older one, so simply had to make an assumption about the spacing, reasoning the datum point wouldn't be totally, wildly different from what both carbs presented me with. They're now the same anyway, and I'll check the running plug colour. I see the main needles were set at a middling position, so there's leeway there if needed.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Wiring on the GS850 is going to be checked by the expert auto sparkie Monday, and it's too hot here in Perth to be working on bikes in sheds without aircon, so the Z900 Kwaka has been serviced ready for a club ride tomorrow up to the hills.
                Oils topped up, chain lubed, horn earth fixed (was using my middle finger a lot)new breather tubes on the carbies, and a general clean & polish.
                I'm in a vintage bike club here in Western Australia so there should be a varied convoy tomorrow starting from the clubroom for a trot up to the pubs in the hills.
                If I'm in the mood tomorrow or Monday I'll tear the BSA magneto off and get it serviced as well.

Comment

Mikunis back on and roughly clankerated (slides clank down simultaneously) enough to start. The standby battery is mullered so the fire wouldn't light, but a fresh battery sorted that and all the kicking over with the dead one certainly brought a willingness to wake up.
                  Amusingly, it started fine with no choke, and the old coal-fired locomotive smell re-inforced my suspicion that it's simply far too rich - confirmed by the gust of black soot when the throttle is blipped.
                  However, when warmed up it settled down nicely to a mild tickover at 800rpm, both cylinders pulling their weight, if not quite evenly. Exhaust pipe IR readings reveal the LH cylinder is over-fuelled or the RH one under-fuelled - a difference of 200degC. I don't trust this IR thermometer to give anywhere near accurate readings in that range, as it's way over what it's supposed to do, but the difference is repeatable, so likely reliable as an indicator.
                  Tomorrow, more fiddling.

---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I did some much needed brake work, changed a few bulbs in the speedo/tach.
                    Now all i need to do is take it to a shop to get those fork seals replaced.

Comment

The Guest user who posted the prior message has been suspended.

Comment

Set the float to my 1969 CL70 and started it up.....it's alive.

V
                        Gustov
                        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                        81 GS 1000 G
                        79 GS 850 G
                        81 GS 850 L
                        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                        80 GS 550 L
                        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                        2002 Honda 919
                        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Working on redoing the dining room and hall ceilings...the plaster is solid, but paint just wont stay on, and checks over time.....after this wonderful fun is crown molding... I really dislike this work.....having a cold makes it funner still. I am thankful however that a friend lent us the hoist....it made the work suck far less.

I do have some parts for the GS on order- valve cover hold down bolt seals, so this week I can hopefully change them put the tank on and see how the carb work turned out.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The paint will stay on if the plaster is good. It is telling you something. Exactly what it is telling you is the question.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                              The paint will stay on if the plaster is good. It is telling you something. Exactly what it is telling you is the question.
                              Not sure really.... The entire house has been that way to some degree or another. When I tried to paint the other hall after we bought the house, the old paint that appeared solid was literally getting pulled off of the ceiling by the paint roller. I scraped every bit of old paint off and proceeded to paint. That was 4-5 years ago, and its been fine...My thought is that the original paint was junk.
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Well tonight I managed to build myself a set of gauges for the EFE out of 2 bad sets. The set that came with the bike turns out were far more damaged then originally thought. The outer case was broken in several places, the inner plastic frame had all the mounts broken and what I thought was good glass was actually a piece of plexi silconed in place, oh well. A set that I managed to locate had a good case and bezel but the glass was cracked and because of that the gauge face was quite soiled and discoloured. So I managed to use the tach, speedo and gauge face from the old set, the plastic outer case and frame from the new set along with a piece of correct thickness non glare glass that my local glass shop was able to use to replicate a new glass face complete the trip meter hole. Viola, almost new gauges. Also ordered front and rear wheel bearing kits, steering stem bearing kits and fork seals. Started putting pieces back on the rear of the bike and now to start on the front.

[/URL]
                                Last edited by Sandy; 01-20-2015, 08:15 PM.
                                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                                X