X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffgs View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]40293[/ATTACH

The other side. I wished i used the Suzuki S but oh well
    Jeff, please make sure that you have a safe clearance between those mounting bolts and the tire. I dont know if and how much the tire may "grow" at speed, but that may be a consideration also. Looking at your pic with the fender mocked up, it looks like a tight fit.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yesterday I had to fix a few issues with my 400.
      I had to test to see if my starter was working (it is)
      installing the starter back in the bike.
      Replace my rectifier and starter relay and solder the wires that were damaged.
      I accidentally shorted my clutch cable with my power side of my starter relay, so I have to get a new clutch cable.

Comment

Started pulling the Samsonite mounts off Scruffy for repair, as well as the Hannigan.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          Jeff, please make sure that you have a safe clearance between those mounting bolts and the tire. I dont know if and how much the tire may "grow" at speed, but that may be a consideration also. Looking at your pic with the fender mocked up, it looks like a tight fit.
          I thought about that Glen being a drag racer. What I had planned was not using lock washers but those nuts with the nylon thread, checking the clearance at that point and then shaving appropriately. Let me ask you, about how much clearance are thinking yourself? When I first had the idea I did nmount it aand checked that. At the point I am placing it there is a lot more clearance than if I had mounted it way up front like a british bike. Let me know what you think

Comment

Dropped a dead tree, "18 at the base, limed it and bucked it up. Trying to get the new wind screen to fit the Hannigan now.

V
            Gustov
            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
            81 GS 1000 G
            79 GS 850 G
            81 GS 850 L
            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
            80 GS 550 L
            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
            2002 Honda 919
            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

I thought about that Glen being a drag racer. What I had planned was not using lock washers but those nuts with the nylon thread, checking the clearance at that point and then shaving appropriately. Let me ask you, about how much clearance are thinking yourself? When I first had the idea I did nmount it aand checked that. At the point I am placing it there is a lot more clearance than if I had mounted it way up front like a british bike. Let me know what you think
              I would have to defer to others on this...
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Drag racing tires, at least for cars, are designed to grow at speed. It adds a variable transmission, constantly shifting up, This came from a tire engineer who designed the tires.
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  Drag racing tires, at least for cars, are designed to grow at speed. It adds a variable transmission, constantly shifting up, This came from a tire engineer who designed the tires.
                  I thinkthe drag tire deal might get outa hand. I think Glen is refering to tires are going to grow because of heat and centrifical forces. I do think it is going to be very minute but it was on my mind and I appreciate Glen having the foresight to think about this too

Comment

The main reason I brought it up was that my first streetbike, a Kawasaki LTD 550s front tire would slightly rub the side of the fender when leaned into a turn. Maybe it was larger then stock. I never checked.
                    sigpic

Glen
                    -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Installed a new throttle cable and made progress on the drag bars. Realized I will need risers for the bars so I ordered the adjustable Rox risers from Amazon. Anyone ever used them? They get amazing reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberpvnk View Post
                        Installed a new throttle cable and made progress on the drag bars. Realized I will need risers for the bars so I ordered the adjustable Rox risers from Amazon. Anyone ever used them? They get amazing reviews.

Didn't know of them until now.
                        Expensive but very trick looking and obviously transferable to the next bike.
                        The Rox 2" Pivot Risers are a great upgrade for taller riders looking for an improved bar position height and are a common choice for the Honda XR650L…
                        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The main reason I brought it up was that my first streetbike, a Kawasaki LTD 550s front tire would slightly rub the side of the fender when leaned into a turn. Maybe it was larger then stock. I never checked.
                          No it was because it was a KZ!

My bad, I am a KX guy although I now have a YZ. Just had to walk through the door

Comment

Workshop shenanigans; stood for half an hour thinking of where to move stuff, before actually doing anything.
                            Time spent in recon is seldom wasted.
                            Makes a difference being able to actually stand at the back bench instead of reaching over other guff.
                            ---- Dave
                            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

No it was because it was a KZ!

My bad, I am a KX guy although I now have a YZ. Just had to walk through the door
                              he he.....the LTD was my $100 entry into the streetbike world, and a good starter bike. I had ridden dirt, but never street bikes. The GS affliction came later. It was right under my nose for a few years though. My first GS was previously owned by my brother. At the time i just heard stories that the 1100e was a fairly notorious machine, but it didnt have a hold on me. Until i bought it.......
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

More workshop shenigans - finally shifted the last of the old biodiesel-making process drums out of the way and released some valuable floor space, which will be host to a racking unit (with compressor under), a stove, sink, shelving, and bulk hot water tank, once I get that wall insulated and sealed.
                                ---- Dave
                                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                                X