No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No proper wrenching, but cleaned up in the garage. One needs to occasionally hit the reset button, put everything away, and clean off the workbench.
    http://20170924_233423 by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
    Last edited by dorkburger; 09-25-2017, 12:30 AM.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I can't even find the bench to clean it off.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I can't clean my work bench, well not yet. I went out for a ride one day. When I came home there was a spider web built going across my bench! I haven't had the hart to take it down, it's a work of art! I just been working around it. ☺
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
          I can't clean my work bench, well not yet. I went out for a ride one day. When I came home there was a spider web built going across my bench! I haven't had the hart to take it down, it's a work of art! I just been working around it. ☺
          I got a black widow web in front of my shed door. That little critter ran up the inside of the roof to hide from me.

Yes, that web is a piece of work...but I'm gonna have to get rid of it in order not to be accidentally bitten by that beast!

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Replaced the radiator on the Yukon, oil and filter on an 05 Busa and maybe more if the customer calls and clarifies what he means by a Tune Up. Now I'm working on an '81 GL1100 that I had to replace the left cylinder head, belts, starter, solenoid, battery........ It's finally running on spray, but the sub par carb clean I did on it over three months ago, seem to be clogged again. Does anyone know where I can get new intake boots from? The reason I did a sub par carb clean before, was that these boots are rocks and they may get destroyed if I try to separate the carbs from them. Non available new from the factory and everything on eBay are the intake elbow and boots, no boots by themselves.
            GSRick
            No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
            Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Ever since my last get off at Brown County, the bike hasn't felt quite right so I figured I should replace my swingarm bearings since I know some here recommend that for others. However, I had also stripped out one of the chain guard mounting bracket holes a couple of years back so I figured why not take care of both and just replace the entire swingarm. Since we also found a leaking front brake bleeder valve on Charmayne's bike, why not do it now.

After installing new bearings into the replacement swingarm I bought from Witttom, I finally decided to mount it this last week.

New swingarm by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Of course it only makes sense to remove all of the rear end stuff if you are also changing out the rear tire. I have loved the Shinko tires I've ran for the last five years or so but I really don't know how any tire feels so I decided to try something different and put on these:

New Pirelli tires by Scott Baker, on Flickr

After also repainting my rear brake caliper, I started putting everything back together with the intent on trying to save some riding time for this long weekend. Yet, the bike decided to have other plans for me last night when I found the rear brake hydraulic light switch quit working on me. During the testing to figure out why, I found some of the wiring up front decided it didn't want to play nice anymore.

Connector wire loose by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And it seems the front brake light switch wiring needs re-terminating which probably explains why my switch doesn't activate right

Busted brake wiring by Scott Baker, on Flickr

So thanks to all of that and than finding problems on my wiring going to the tail light, I figured I'd tear the upper portion of the rear off and start fixing things. I had planned to wait until this winter to do this but what the heck.

The rear fender has had this dent for a very long time so out it came

Dent in rear fender by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Dent removed from fender by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I also rewired the rear spaghetti mess that feeds the taillight, license plate holder, and turn signals but ran out of the connectors I need and have to wait for a delivery from Cycle Recycle II this week. So much for making any miles this weekend but at least stuff is getting fixed finally.
              Last edited by cowboyup3371; 10-08-2017, 07:00 AM.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Replaced the speedo cable this morning with my morning cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosquito13 View Post
                  Replaced the speedo cable this morning with my morning cup.
                  That's awesome. Except how is a morning cup supposed to show you your speed?

Comment

Little bit of shop clean up and rearranging went on. Then I changed plugs in the 73 Yamaha TX750 and went one hotter with BS7ES from the BS8ES. Plugs showed a bit rich so I set the float hts 1 MM higher at 2 instead of 25..which will lean it out ever so slightly. Carbs have stock jets according to the manual.

Next came Stahlgrau333s 82 1100GL as it was acting up on him. Refreshed the carbs and checked the float hts etc etc. Found the intake manifold clamps a bit stretched so we fixed that. Also found the #2 cylinder wire just fell off the wire when we pulled the cap to check the plugs...so that wire got trimmed and the cap screwed back on.

Finally pulled a vacuum sync since it was again running on all 4 properly......Got it real close and then went for a beat down ride to see how she did after all the maintenance. good to go now.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've been working on an 89 Chevy truck I was given (yup) with a bad motor. I'm swapping in a 350 out of a 4WD truck and it's been fighting me every nut & bolt. I added a new timing chain (just because, it was ok) with new seals front & rear as well as at the transmission. All new exhaust gaskets & studs. Older trucks this crap didn't take so god-awful much time & effort. At least it's a Chevy so it's worth it. No rust, real solid frame. I got some bike work to do, but I need this truck done. Should fire it up tomorrow unless it rains.

Comment

Picked up a complete, all there 92 600F2 for cheap.
                        Not a Honda guy, but thought I'd give it a go.
                        I do have a 79 CR gathering dust from a previous roommate leaving town 25 years ago.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

25 years is long enough

Comment

I've rapped on the CR over the years, but not lately as in the last 15 years. Same gas in tank, usually fires after 3rd kick or so.
                            I rode it enough to snap the frame behind the airbox.

Had to lower the motor on the F2 to access a broken cam cover bolt from previous owner.
                            A lot of fussing for one bolt, frame rail in the way.
                            Used a cobalt bit to partially drill out.
                            Ofcourse the bolt was snapped a 1/4'' into case and difficult to start drilling in the center.
                            Tried a punch to line things up. Drill bit wandered off to one side, but drilled down a bit with cobalt, then used a left hand bit and watched the remnant screw rise to the top.
                            I was beyond surprised to see the bottom of screw coming out whole intact.
                            Thought for sure, at a minimum, I have to use a heli-coil, but all the threads were still there.
                            Carbs need attention, then the whole liquid cooling thing, been a while since I dealt with that.
                            Had a FZ750 for a time, but don't think I ever touched the coolant.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Had two helpers for the last step of the reassembly, the fender extension.

But mostly I had to find some way to get the kids out-of-the-house-away-from-grandma for a while on this cold rainy day.

THe three year old lasted about 30 seconds, and ran back in the house.
                              THe six year old found the ratchet wrench interesting, but the screw driver was a better task for him.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                                Had two helpers for the last step of the reassembly, the fender extension.

But mostly I had to find some way to get the kids out-of-the-house-away-from-grandma for a while on this cold rainy day.

THe three year old lasted about 30 seconds, and ran back in the house.
                                THe six year old found the ratchet wrench interesting, but the screw driver was a better task for him.
                                As I wiggled and wriggled the rear wheel back under my fender and onto the spline gear today, my 20 year old son walked by the garage and got in his car to leave. Didn't even ask if he could try the ratchet wrench, lol. Man I used to crawl under our station wagon with my dad and "help" whenever I could. Times are changing I suppose.

GK repairs with the grand kids, good times!
                                Roger

Current rides
                                1983 GS 850G
                                2003 FJR 1300A
                                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                                X