what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BurntKittyForge View Post
    Found a cool (to me) hacked item. at Lowes', (they have the best stainless and metric AND the cool pointy $4 something for three chrome nuts I racked myself on decision in past...for hardware store grade anyway)
    Anyway, it's called a "split ring hanger" from plumbing.
    They had 2" ,1.5" , 3/4" and 1/2" (The measure corresponds to pipe diameter , so the internals are different But the 2" fits my roughly 2" exhaust pipe sections...The 3/4 would fit my (1") handlebars for a GPS mount , the hole on them are threaded for 3/8th course thread )forgot (TPI)...

Got me thinking and figure I can use a cheap turn signal fork mount on my bar-end weights and use a 10mm nut inside to mount mirrors right on the handlebar weights! (???)

Backyard ALL day...Got a slight sunburn and thought how stupid for not riding instead of disassembling stuff for second time (Backyard THE WORSTE! URGH! It's putting away / getting tools and finding them time after time and dropping crap in the grass that bothers me MOST ...besides ants spiders mosquitos)

First weekend in around 2 years wife was off on saturday, had high hopes ...turned out to be like two winey kids and one big grouchy one instead

Failed attempt at broke header bolt removal, made a sleeve/ bushing piece and tightened the one bolt flat. That sealed it up (again) for now anyway...1/16th bit in dremel ...broke three, no dent...1/8th in handdrill...broke four bits, no dent...considered cutting a slot w/ my dremel and 45 deg. attached, ALMOST did ...decided not to. Some bits were HF, so:

DEcided NOT to buy the $75 flux core that were (3) sidewalk sale OR the $50 sidewalk price arc welder...

Got the fuel pump mostly finished...going to post pics in minute WooHoo managed to get three pics off my photobucket in about 1 1/2 hours, only crashed computer three times!
    (Think page is faster middle of week / not as many users or ads or something(?))

Washed a bunch of leather scraps (same used for seat cover, none as large) ...been wondering about making some leather riding pants soon for winter...

Painted rusty bits of header with rust restore, and then 2000F Rustoleum, hope it don't burn off over the rust stuff, the old rust restore burned to white...have over half left...

Forgot what else, too long reply...Cool guitar (s) and other stuff up there ^^^^^^^^^

Fired up GSX1100 w/ NO muffler , holy crap, Multiple flames, LOUD
    @ Ddaniels go for the largest jet kit...I have 140 mains, 20 pilots and RS carbs though , Like a leaf blower, flame thrower combo ...Killer thing, Fired up w/ muffler , like a silencer on a big gun I was thinking , ran better w/ muffler but it's like a false sense of "mild" IMO seeing the two back to back...
    I have the flux core welder. It will stick metal together, but it will look like bird $h!t. Spatter everywhere. I'll sell you mine for $25
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Replaced a couple of pocket doors today. The first one was stuck in the wall since it came off the track. After faneggling it out, I saw the bent track that needed replacing. Ready for surgery.

Instead of cutting out the whole wall I was able to make a small hole behind where a mirror goes to reach in and remove the existing track, and install a new one.

The newer ones have four wheels per roller instead of the two inline type which were always problematic.

No taping and texture match, just a quick patch.

Out of sight, out of mind.

The next was a change from pocket door to swinging door. Nothing really wrong with this one thw owner just wanted new stuff.

Demo the entire frame, leaving what's inside the wall alone. Big pile from just one door.

Fill the cavity for strength.

Hang the door and trim it out.

Easy peasy
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Nice work. Me, I'm remodeling a porch ceiling, insulation then cedar boards and finally 4x6 rough cut beams for a fake post and been look.
        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
          Nice work. Me, I'm remodeling a porch ceiling, insulation then cedar boards and finally 4x6 rough cut beams for a fake post and been look.
          Sounds like a pain in the neck, literally!
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Could be, but I rented a painting scaffold,less than $50 per week.
            Fiberglass always sucks, glad that part is over.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              Too bad the gas tank won't fit in that paint can shaker thing at the hardware store.
              It may not fit in the paint can shaker, but there is more than one way to skin that cat.

I know a guy that was resurrecting an older Wing. The gas tank needed cleaning of course, and he found that the only way to remove the tank (it's under the seat) was to take it out the back, after removing the rear wheel and swingarm. I think he used screws and/or other miscellaneous hardware inside the tank, but he wrapped it in some sheets of foam and carpet scraps and wedged it into his small cement mixer. Made a terrible racket, but he let it turn for about an hour, turned the tank so it spun on a different axis, spun for another hour, repeated until he felt comfortable with the results.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Finished this bass guitar. built for a friend

I built this for my drummer buddy who lives in Mass, so I never see him. We send song recording projects back and forth on a mini drive. It's works for us.

Comment

Very nice!
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

I built this for my drummer buddy who lives in Mass, so I never see him. We send song recording projects back and forth on a mini drive. It's works for us.

Nice nice work. Do you build and fret the necks as well?
                    Alan

sigpic
                    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Finally put the railings up on the ramp but with two marching band competitions this weekend I finished too late this afternoon to take any pictures. I hope to put the balusters up this week if I can get home from work early enough before it gets dark.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by AMK View Post
                        Nice nice work. Do you build and fret the necks as well?
                        Thanks!
                        Fascinating question, I did for one guitar my favorite and I'm keeping, a baritone electric.
                        It's impossible to hand cut frets as well as computer guided machines, so when the notes are measured by a digital tuner they're all off by a tiny %.
                        No problem at all by your ear, but many a nit picking fool will whine about the imperfection when they look at their digital tuner.
                        A digital tool destroying hand crafted work.
                        “It's just the spirit of the age”

Comment

Thanks!
                          Fascinating question, I did for one guitar my favorite and I'm keeping, a baritone electric.
                          It's impossible to hand cut frets as well as computer guided machines, so when the notes are measured by a digital tuner they're all off by a tiny %.
                          No problem at all by your ear, but many a nit picking fool will whine about the imperfection when they look at their digital tuner.
                          A digital tool destroying hand crafted work.
                          “It's just the spirit of the age”
                          If the hand crafts the instrument, the hand plays the instrument, and the ear enjoys the sound, who cares what a digital analyzer has to say?
                          Spirt of the times indeed.

Nice job BTW.
                          sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I love this stuff and now I know I can get it in Canada, I know what I'll be doing later.
                            Rob
                            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                              I love this stuff and now I know I can get it in Canada, I know what I'll be doing later.
                              I couldn't find any but I found a less expensive product that worked...Pine Sol, it did a great job cleaning my carbs, stripped the paint off them as well.
                              1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post

Bah. That is but a shadow of its former glory. You could probably drink it and be OK. Compare the ingredients to a pre-2000 can. The main ingredient in the new stuff is water. Sorry, it is RSU on the web page http://network-pros.com/bike/b12.jpg

I am keeping this can until I die. Probably from methelyne chloride poisoning....

sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X