No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice work! I always wanted a set of those but never found them for sale. Nice to be able to fab something up for your bike.
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Nice bit of fab work, Storm.
      Functional and they look great too.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

After repeated frustrating attempts to reinstall my carb diaphragms over the past week the best I could do when testing them was, one at 100%, a 2nd at maybe 75% another at 50% and a forth 0%. Even when installed correctly they'd leak, maybe that's as good to be expected with 32 year old diaphragms. The forth just wouldn't seat or seal. I checked them all for tears and holes all were good so that wasn't the problem. I could've ordered replacements but instead I used a tiny amount of non hardening Permatex gasket maker in the bottom of the ring where the gasket seats. Success! all passed the test 100%! The diaphrams may not withstand another cleaning/removal cycle without tearing but they'll work. Next cleaning I'll order a new set.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

All my wrenching starts with...... fundraising...
          Made a trip to the scrap yard yesterday. Should now have enough to cover my needed for work. Sweeet.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

DIY Bike Dolly.

Or, how to turn some scrap into useful stuff.

I wanted one of these... but the price of the heavy-duty ones was too much for my tastes (being a notorious cheapskate, an' all).

So, starting with this...

I ended up with this...

It's just rough and ready, and provides a good starting point to modify subsequent ones from. I'll make another two or three, so that every bike here can sit on one full time.
            Cost about 20 quid so far.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Got a new rear mc in the mail yesterday. Defective cap rubber. It leaks. Strike 1.

Been waiting 5 days anxiously for new intake boot clamps to arrive.....called the company to check on my order after work only to realize I never ordered them....only thought I did. Strike 2.

Got home from work today and had a 76 Kawasaki 750 twin sitting in my garage. Told the boss I would go over the carbs/ air intake system and get it running better. I guess him dropping it off was my cue.
              That's not a win or lose.....it just a thing to work on when I get to it. Pretty cool bike. Decent shape.

Comment

Nice bike dolly. Probably stronger that the HD commercial ones!
                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Nice work on the dolly, Grimly.
                  I can see from the Yammie you are not just a good weather rider.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                    Nice bike dolly. Probably stronger that the HD commercial ones!
                    It doesn't show the slightest sign of bending, that's for sure.

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Nice work on the dolly, Grimly.
                    I can see from the Yammie you are not just a good weather rider.
                    Needs a wash, but it's only April.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Charmayne was having a really rough day today coping with her memory issues so after work I drug her away from the house and over to the garage. While there we cleaned up the cam chain tensioner replacing the seals and gasket then mounted it back onto her bike. Took these two pictures:

I was pretty happy to see that she was able to cheer up for a little bit and I was able to help jog a couple of memories for her.

It was also nice to see she won't just lay in bed moping; sort of reminiscent of this picture a couple of years ago:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 04-13-2016, 08:49 PM.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Speedo cable broke while enjoying an evening ride; so I visited Blue and swapped the cable.
                        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Nice dolly. A little paint and it will look as good as the store bought one.
                          Current Bikes:
                          2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

IMG_20160424_162810.jpg

Messed around half the day getting a failed Kreme liner out of this sad 1100E tank.

Comment

Finished up round 2 on the Blue 83 1100e. Cleaned up the harness, put in a SH775 RR and coil relay mod, valve adjustment, better used clutch hub and new chrome moly nut. Was going to check the compression but my 14mm gauge won't fit the spark plug hole. Synced carbs as well. Raining today, no road test but that nasty rumble from the clutch is gone
                              sigpic
                              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                              1983 GS1100e
                              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                              1980 GS1260
                              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                                Finished up round 2 on the Blue 83 1100e. Cleaned up the harness, put in a SH775 RR and coil relay mod, valve adjustment, better used clutch hub and new chrome moly nut. Was going to check the compression but my 14mm gauge won't fit the spark plug hole. Synced carbs as well. Raining today, no road test but that nasty rumble from the clutch is gone
                                In you day you've done what is taking me forever hahah experience is key.

different note, I'm trying to rewire my 82' gs650l and I for some reason can't load the wiring diagram from bike cliffs website. Can anyone post a picture of it for me or post an accessible link?

Comment

Working...
                                X