what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standard Bar conversion on my GSX-R 750

Took me about 8 hours and made sure I did as through and complete job as possible... Worth it? Oh hell yeah. Wheelies much easier now... Reminds me of a Bandit but way cooler and a boat load better in the corners... Very comfy now too... I could ride this thing all day!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Beautiful bike Jedz!

I'm so glad you are enjoying your first Gixxer. Nice handle bars! That TANK looks just like mine...wow! I miss that bike.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Thanks Ed! I think mine is a little more "sun kissed". Adding the standard bars was well worth the investment. The bike is exceptionally comfortable now. My wrists and back were barking pretty bad...

Making my Gixxer more Standard friendly is yielding more smiles per mile... That 750 motor is exceptional. Revvy yet plenty of midrange grunt. I would say even with this "fat and slow" 750 it would mop my Connie up pretty good.
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I spent the evening measuring valve clearances and replacing shims, but nothing seemed to make sense. So I got out my digital calipers and measured and labeled every shim. Still, a 2.60 would be too thin, and a 2.65 too thick. Finally, just for the heck of it, I used the calipers to measure the feeler gauges. All the feelers were accurate EXCEPT for the .038 mm. It measured .09. Son of a...
          K.

1978 GS750E
          1981 KZ440D

Comment

Originally posted by gwyon View Post
            I spent the evening measuring valve clearances and replacing shims, but nothing seemed to make sense. So I got out my digital calipers and measured and labeled every shim. Still, a 2.60 would be too thin, and a 2.65 too thick. Finally, just for the heck of it, I used the calipers to measure the feeler gauges. All the feelers were accurate EXCEPT for the .038 mm. It measured .09. Son of a...
            That's those extra quality feelers. More thickness for your money.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Eliminated the low speed stumble/bog. PO was nice enough to install a Jet kit with the pipe but had no idea how to tune it.

Needle height was off... Runs smooth (as smooth as a Gixxer 750 can run bellow 4K rpm) now! Got rid of the stumble and bog, low speed ride-ability is incredibly better, much smoother through the RPM band.... Maniac WOT.

Sometimes I forget how proficient I am with tuning out carbs... Load of practice from my past cause I'm cheap. Crazy how I can just run an engine and now what is needed for adjustement... I thank you guys for that!

Once I was in there I did a deep and intense clean of all the components under the plastics (these water bike don't build up nearly as as much grime). Also cleaned all the inside of the plastics. Oil and Coolant change. Rear brake fluid change, detail cleaned and lubed the chain (might need new sprockets though...) Also plugged up the hole in my rear tire from the piece of an arrogater that I picked up... Love living on a rural Vermont road.

Buttoned back up and added one more coat of the Lurch Vintage wax and called it a night!

Last edited by Jedz123; 07-01-2016, 07:56 AM.
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Jedz, maybe you could come over and give me a hand with the carbs on the SuperHawk.
                Still having problems getting it to run right.
                In actual fact i now think it is an electrical/coil problem.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Carbs went on Charmayne's bike yesterday and came back off today as I forgot to put the fuel line on. Today, she and I put new tires on the bike and will finish up with brakes tomorrow. I am really hoping we can get it fired up before Monday so she can get out on it
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Dropped a water tank so I could adjust the wiffle tree. One cable is stretched so I need to move a pulley and re-adjust that cable. Killed back doing it.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Turbo 1166 pistons in, fresh head with hd springs installed, fresh rebuilt turbo, top end oiler, high volume oil pump gears, cams in and set. Next to do is set the valve clearance and put the fueling/turbo stuff back on. While I was waiting for parts I block sanded all the bodywork and re-cleared it, along with the frame and pegs. I'm getting excited to ride again.
                      1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Removed and semi stripped the 750 E engine

rummaged through the parts mountain and found enough stuff for -

USD front end for project bike
                        convert GS1000C to twin rotor while retaining spoked rims

plus, most importantly, got to grips with the getting out of control parts mountain
                        78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                        82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                        83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                        2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                        Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Getting to grips with the parts mess can be a lot of work! My garage looks like a couple of Suzukis exploded.
                          1981 GS 1100e turbo, 83 motor, turbo pistons, new head, new turbo, backed and welded clutch basket, Dyna S ignition, cbr 929 front end, gsxr 750 rear end with 190 tire, all carbon fiber covered bodywork.

Comment

Pretty happy with progress - here's 1 of 3 project/parts/when I get time bikes nearly boxed

one day I'll resurrect it .... 750E/1127 gixxer mongrel ahead in the line though

now I'd be impressed if someone new what this one is 😉😉😉😉

image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post
                              Removed and semi stripped the 750 E engine

rummaged through the parts mountain and found enough stuff for -

USD front end for project bike
                              convert GS1000C to twin rotor while retaining spoked rims

plus, most importantly, got to grips with the getting out of control parts mountain

I am not quite sure what is in my parts mountain but i do know there is not a USD set of forks.
                              I gotta upgrade my junk!
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Ahhhhhh but I've been hoarding for 20 years and I have a very tolerant wife

Comment

Working...
                                X