X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
    Addicting, isn't it?
    Kinda yeah! Bummer it started to rain…
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
      First start up since valve job; Saturday, then street tested Sunday.
      Wow, took me 5 hours Sunday to put all the body panels, mirrors, windshield, signal lights plus fabricate a new plate bracket.
      Test rode it 12 miles with 2 stop sign drag tests with moderation, 9-10,000 rpm shifts. Not accurate but I think it was doing 0 to 100mph in 7 secs! Ok, well seemed like it…
      Just got into 3rd to pop from 90 to 100mph, then coast down to 65mph. Started to rain a bit, plus I was in my raggy work pants, so I put it away.
      These are it's street legal clothes;
      Looking nice Bill
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

The last two days I spent prepping and painting my front guard. Got it very close to factory coloursIMG_2207 - Copy.jpg. Will add the gold pin strips when I get some more time, maybe in a couple of days. 1984 GS1100GK.
        gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
        gs850g 1980
        Previously owned
        gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
        gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

IMG_2309 - Copy.jpg Gold pin stripe on today. Did a bit of other maintenance to bike. Brake fluid change, quick polish of engine side covers, fork legs etc.
          gs1100gk 1985 (x 2)
          gs850g 1980
          Previously owned
          gs1100gk 1984(just sold).
          gs850g x 2 '79, '80, gs1100gk x 2 '84, '85, gs1000 '78, gs1100g '82, gr650 '82, Buell x 2 '99 & '09, Harley xlch '65, Yam vmax '95, FJ1100 '82, Honda 500/4 '74, Kwaka z250 '80...

Comment

Tail project

Weather was warm and dry enough so I could paint the new tailpiece this week.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

All I did today was fit a used rear caliper to the '80 bike while it was still on the ramp.
              Once again, brake parts from the mid-Western states arrived looking almost like they'd hardly been used.
              No rust or corrosion anywhere on it, but just in case, I tickled the casting around the bleed nipples with a narrow butane torch to make sure they'd come loose without drama.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Copied the left glovebox cover on the Pantera fairing to the right side. The original is a moulded affair, but I realised I could get away with a simple plate of the right thickness, so set to with a jigsaw and drill to knock up a replacement, using the existing one as a template onto a piece of 12mm plywood.
                Bevelled the edges at ~30degrees, sanded it, fitted a locating tab and two locators at the top to prevent it moving from side-to-side when locked down. Fitted two new cabinet locks to the pair of them and Bob's yer Auntie in the woodshed.
                Oh, and a quick 'n dirty coat of matt black paint to blend in.
                ---- Dave
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

The Fridge project has been hanging out forever, so I started to reassemble it
                  Valves adjusted, new O rings in the boots, 29s back on with filters, blowby bottle roughed inIMG_20190409_144724734.jpg
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

First I’ve ever heard you mention The Fridge.. maybe I missed it. I see an offset sprocket and a hint of later wheels... tasty.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glen, it has been sitting for years.
                      79 GS 1000 race bike returned to the street
                      29 sb, original Yosh pipe, 90s Katana front with custom top clamp, GSX swingarm with Katana rear wheel.
                      78 bodywork with custom paint
                      Need to sort out guage mounting and S fairing. Also, recover white Guliari seat.
                      Need to find my project thread
                      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                      2007 DRz 400S
                      1999 ATK 490ES
                      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Cool.......
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Fork seals.

Not what spring time is for.
                          But now is tolerable to be working in garage.
                          Have had a few nice days (50-60, a couple near 70), but possible more snow in a couple days, so not feel too bad about stil working on the bike.

More pics of the fork seal project

Last edited by Redman; 04-13-2019, 12:00 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Decided to swap the engine from the ES to Kat.
                            Apparently much slower doing such things then I used to be.
                            Figured it be a while before I get that motor sorted.
                            Been missing riding the Kat, so what the hell.
                            Found a stripped rear motor mount bolt, helicoiled it 8 X1.25mm.
                            Swapped 3.00'' rim to 3.5'', changed discs, drained oil, changed oil filter, checked valve clearances.
                            A couple of intakes on #4 were on the tighter side.
                            Couldn't find the rear brake pads & pins etc in the garage, since I stashed them last. Finally found them.
                            Took awhile to find the Dyna-S & mechanical advancer, the stock ES has different connectors & no mech adv. Used the stator & rectifier from the ES, as I soldered those connections. Made the mistake of stepping on the rear brake to check the brake light, only to remember I left the pads out, so the pistons pushed out way too far to put in pads. Had to fuss with that for awhile. I'm missing the rear brake light too, not sure if I failed to plug in a wire. Have a org/grn wire with nothing connected. Will have to look at the wiring diagram. I put the key in and blipped the starter button, & the motor turned over, neutral light on, tail light on, but no brake light. Will see what happens tomorrow.
                            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Fitted the extended ramp and its side wings to the lift, making it a much easier job getting things on and off. It takes a minute to put things in place and a minute to disassemble it for work on the bike. I made it in three pieces to enable easy assembly and manhandling of the structure.

The main part of the ramp is supported at the front by a piece of 7x2" timber on edge, and a piece of 5x2" in the middle. Down the sides are a couple of 2x2s to increase rigidity and also provide a shelf for the side wings to sit on.

The parts are held in place by simple over-reaching straps with inserts (blind bolts) down through the neighbouring part - they can't go anywhere.

It's very solid and won't give me any surprises, I think. Next step is a coat of paint and sprinkle some sand on it while it's wet.
                                Last edited by Grimly; 04-13-2019, 02:12 PM.
                                ---- Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X