what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
    Gustovh, the story of your dealer not charging you for that work is excellent.
    The loyalty between dealers and customers, going both ways, is rare these days.
    I finally got the front on a couple days ago....3 I think, that allowed me to remove the rear and break the bead on one side of the rear and replace the stem with a pull through, add air.....I can ride tomorrow.

By the way that same dealer mounted for free the tire that I used on my sidecar project last year.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

My short list of maintenance items seems to be ... not so short anymore.

Still having the fairing and tank off, I was going over the wiring and found these coil connectors looking pretty sad. The wires were so tight they cracked. I guess it cost Suzuki too much to leave an extra 1/2" of wire in there for some slack.

I had kicked around the idea of installing a coil relay for some time. With these connectors needing to be replaced and a three week covid vacation, the time seems right. I pretty much followed the tutorial on Bikecliff's site, but also referred to others for some clarification.

Reading the different write-ups helped me grasp the concept of what the relay does and get it in my minds eye. I filed the paint off of the frame underneath the relay mount and connected the ground right there.

The blue crap around the spark plug wires is gasket maker. After replacing the wires a couple of years ago I didn't trust the epoxy to keep water out. It's good to see it has held tight.

The 15 amp blade type fuse for the relay is mounted in the empty spot where the old regulator/ rectifier was. That spot made for a really short lead to the starter relay positive terminal, and easy access for the future.

Now, It's finally time to fire it up.
      Fan, Check!
      Aux fuel bottle, Check!
      Hit the start button and IT LIVES! for a second... I forgot to turn on the fuel.
      Fuel valve on, Check! Try again.
      Now it's warm, time to sync.

Just a little adjustment and all is well.

So far everything is going really smoothly. The upside is I found the rubber tank support I lost last week. YAY!

On the down side, I think one of the pilot screws is broken The idle doesn't change when I adjust the screw on #1 carb. Tomorrow, pull it apart again and check it out.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I recently picked up a clean 1994 Suzuki RF600R to relive some good times I had with one in the not-so-distant past. In a strange turn of events, this one is in nicer shape at 26 years old than my first one was at 15....

Still needs some basic stuff... front tire, tune-up parts... When I bought the bike, the rear fender had been hacked off at some point in an attempt to make a tail-tidy (it was anything but tidy....) so I grabbed a used un-cut fender off of ebay and installed it. Ironically I had to do this to my first RF too... and the guy I sold that bike to immediately sliced the fender off just below the license plate again... you should have seen my head explode but it wasn't my bike anymore... I guess a lot of people like getting water and mud up their backs when they're riding in the wet? I'll never understand that. Also replaced a fuel line from the tap that was seeping and two burned-out tail light bulbs... just fixing and cleaning things as I go through it.. but mostly sitting on a stool and admiring it. When these came out in 1994, I was awestruck. I bought every magazine with an RF in it (still have them all!), collected the brochures (also still have them all!) and dug all of the loose change out of my sofa but I just couldn't afford one new. I was 24, working a low-paying baggage-handler job at the airport and riding a clapped out '83 Yamaha Vision...

So this is what I have been wrenching on off and on this week between sessions of home-schooling my 7 year old daughter.

IMG_9859.jpg
        2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
        2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I really wanted an RF900R a while back. Funky looking, great riding machines.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

[QUOTE=GS1150Pilot;2598717 RF900R great riding machines.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with that comment.

The thing had parts bin suspension out of the box, making the riding experience numb.

Sure aftermarket upgrades would make handling better, but the cost would likely be as much as the bike is worth.

I had a 94 metallic green one for a spell.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Those coil connectors are a real pain. Not sure why they are so susceptible to breakage without ever being touched. Maybe vibration and tension on the fine filaments work hardens them till they break.

Had a an iffy bit of running years back and these were a huge part of the problem. mine at that point had never been removed but were holding on by a stand or two. The location of them almost directly exposed to road blat probably doesn't help.
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I replaced my clutch springs yesterday. Unfortunately the pinch bolt for the clutch lever arm is stripped, so I couldn't take it for a test ride.
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Back when I was a young mechanic, working at a dealership, I bought an outragously expensive Snap On 3/8" rachet, a model F713.
                  It fit my hand so well, and just worked like magic. Soon it became my go to rachet.
                  Over the past 46 years, I've used it constantly. It has taken much abuse, from hammers, and cheater pipes.
                  And it finally failed.... My other ratchets bring me no joy....

But, looking for a replacement F713, I found an OEM Snap On rebuild kit....Oh joy...

Arrived yesterday. Just finished. Happy again...

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                  '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Finally took the time to fix a leaky float valve, a sharp tap on the bowl became the constant temporary fix for the last year but today that ended. Soaked the valves, needles and floats in Berryman's for 24 hours and that's cured it. Today will be the first ride of the year, it's getting warmer on the northern plains and the wind isn't 25 MPH....
                    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

New front tire day for Mr. Riffer.

IMG_9913.jpg
                      2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                      2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I don't know why, but there's something so satisfying about making a repair and then riding my bike afterwards. It's so rewarding, even when it's something simple. Am I the only one that feels this way?
                        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Valve adjustment time.

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Steve, does that 6 cylinder beast have screw adjusters or shim in bucket?
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

looks like easy access on that CBX, cool.
                              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                              '79 GS100E
                              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I stripped the bodywork off the Multistrada for the 15K service, valve adjustment, belts, plugs. It's a lot of plastic. I had a guy do the work, he's an expert on Ducatis and has a home business, very happy with the result as it runs perfectly and I saved a few hundred bucks. To get the bike to him I modified my little trailer with tie down anchors and a wheel chock. Took only 2 days with the trailer set up to end up with the GS

Oh.. I used a 'seal mate' on the leaking right fork seal on the Ducati, and replaced front brake pads. The seal mate seems to have done the trick, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                                '79 GS100E
                                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Working...
                                X