Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nicely done.

Comment

Last summer my friend and I did our annual ride on my 2 GS550Ts. The one he was riding started blowing fuses after a long hot run. It has about 35k on it and I figured the electrical system was due for an overhaul as it was all original stock. I did some measures of the voltage outputs and it seemed weak so I bit the bullet and picked up a new stator from RM Stator and a SH775 on eBay for each along with the harness from Eastern Beaver. Rounded the upgrade out by buying new batteries for each.

The stator r/r went well on the first bike as did the mounting and wiring of the SH775. Within two hours of starting the job was done! I soldered the red wire but used bullet connectors for the rest. Voltage tests showed a marked improvement and the numbers were right where they needed to be. She ran like a top for the "test" drive 👌🏻

The second bike proved move difficult as I was unable to losen and remove any of the startor cover screws. I used a JIS screw driver and impact screw driver but no luck, they were not coming out. If there is a trick out there someone can share with me before I strip the heads I would appreciate it. I left the stator in and went on and installed the SH775 and soldered all the connections this time. Once again the voltage checks came in great! So, over all I am happy and much more confident that these old steads will be good to go for out annual ride in two weeks. I just hope the weather cooperates!

The bottom line here is I am VERY glad I spent a few bucks and did this as now I have much less of an electrical problem this time out! However I now have an unrelated oil leak from the valve cover gasket on the first bike that is drainin on to the engine and causing her to smoke as the oil burns off ... seems to never end with these old bikes ... but that is ok as I learn more with each chllenge. Ordered a new gasket tonight ... so that's the next job on the shop agenda.
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982
      GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Very Nice Simon.

Nice mounting of that stuff. And I like that is pretty mch the GK paint pattern on the sidebags and trunk, but with the S color & accent stripe.

Thanks for the comment Mr Redman .
        Mr Steve sent me a pic of another member's 1100 ES with a similar paint job that was the inspiration .
        I was really happy with the paint , not so much with the price .
        There was also a bit of jiggery pokery to get it all fitted up but all worth it in the end .

Cheers , Simon .
        Last edited by simon kuether; 09-24-2018, 05:10 AM.

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Simon..... that is a lot of luggage capacity on the back of that bike. All the added pieces, combined with whatever stuff you pack into them, plus a passenger, put quite a lot of extra weight on the back end of the bike. Have you up-rated the rear shocks/springs to handle it?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
            Simon..... that is a lot of luggage capacity on the back of that bike. All the added pieces, combined with whatever stuff you pack into them, plus a passenger, put quite a lot of extra weight on the back end of the bike. Have you up-rated the rear shocks/springs to handle it?
            Yes I have .
            I've put a set of Ikon's on and upped the preload .
            I'll probably have to fiddle with it when I get all loaded up .
            Any heavy stuff will go in the bottom of the panniers with " fluff " in the top box .

Cheers , Simon

Comment

Had to do the dreaded carb removal and clean this weekend. Dreaded for me anyway. Seemed easier than I remembered. Didnt have to dip, just shoot some spray around because my idle was suffering. Now it hums perfectly. Still took me 4 hours though.

Comment

not really wrenching, but I put the first dose of star-tron in the tank to prep for hibernation. The older I get the less motivation I have for riding in the cold....
                1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Not wrenching either but in the garage finishing this...

P1040123 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040129 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040127 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040126 by nessism, on Flickr
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                    Not wrenching either but in the garage finishing this...

P1040123 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040129 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040127 by nessism, on Flickr

P1040126 by nessism, on Flickr
                    Nice! I have a neighbor who just this summer restore an old Peugeot bicycle, and it's a beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post

What say you. GS1000S/GK .
                      Looks good, except maybe for the big white view from the rear. Mine doesn't look that big, so I think that camera's adding the usual 10 pounds. Did you have the brackets powder coated? I need to do something with mine before the rust gets serious.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                        Did you have the brackets powder coated? I need to do something with mine before the rust gets serious.
                        I asked him the same thing in a PM, have not gotten a reply yet.

I need to check at the powder-coating shop to see if they have a chrome-ish powder coat. The ceramic coat on the exhaust pipes would do, but I think it costs more. I looked into having the racks re-chromed and had some SERIOUS sticker shock. Just the top rack was going to be about $700. I didn't bother to ask about the lower half of the mounting system.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          I asked him the same thing in a PM, have not gotten a reply yet.
                          As luck would have it, when I pushed the "Submit post" button, I got a reply from Simon.

He said that the nearest chromeworks is about 1500km away, so he sandblasted and used 2-part paint for the mounts.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            Looks good, except maybe for the big white view from the rear. Mine doesn't look that big, so I think that camera's adding the usual 10 pounds. Did you have the brackets powder coated? I need to do something with mine before the rust gets serious.
                            Hey Dale , you sayin' my arse looks big in this ????

Cheers , Simon .

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
                              Nice! I have a neighbor who just this summer restore an old Peugeot bicycle, and it's a beauty.
                              'Cept his isn't a restoration.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Titanium? Looks too dull for steel or aluminum. Nice lugs.
                                sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Working...
                                X