what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
    Nice! I too make a few extra bucks with leather work. Been messing with leather off and on since '91. I love doing wallets but now most of my work is gun holsters
    www.boriqualeather.com
    Wow beautiful work. Those holsters are amazing as are the wet molded bags.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      New coils, condensor, ignition plate plugs and wires for the SuperHawk.

Dude .. that is stunning!! I have to look it up just to find more details but wow what a looker.

Comment

Molished a couple of temporary legshields for the XJ900 for this winter. Removable in ten minutes, I reckon.
        These, combined with the extra height on the windshield and the hand guards, should give me enough to take the edge off the weather.
        Attached Files
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
          Dude .. that is stunning!! I have to look it up just to find more details but wow what a looker.
          Thanks for the compliments, Gents.
          Most of it is a '66 with bitsa parts from a '67 donor.
          I wish i could ride it but insurance up here is expensive. Even Vintage insurance here worked out to $400 and that is too much for something i would only ride a couple times a summer. In the old days we would just swap plates from an insured bike but being older and ahem, wiser it is not a chance i want to take.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Do you have a website? Nice work. I bet if you embossed them with the Suzuki logo you'd sell quite a few here.
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Made new mounting studs for the lower tank of the radiator and mocked it up. Waiting on the bulk rad hose to arrive. I still have to make new mounting cushions.

The air cleaner tube was crushed and cracked. Got most of the damage out. I still need to align the pieces and TIG them back together. I've got a bit of practice before I'm comfortable putting the torch to it.

Head gasket has been replaced. Need to re-torque the head and re-adjust the valves. I'll get after the body work late next year.

Up and running. https://youtu.be/YNZlqeSBSe8
              Last edited by rustybronco; 12-07-2018, 05:43 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I sealed a couple of pinholes in my tank today to get ready for the por-15 liner. After pulling the float assembly I was able to get an inspection camera inside the tank where the leaks were (toward the front on the bottom edge). I didn't see any rust, in fact the entire tank is spotless inside! I've decided to fill these holes from the outside only and hold off on the liner until summer, or another hole opens up.

Trying to get the last bit of gas out of the tank was surprisingly difficult, even with the petcock and float removed. It reminded me of shaking a piggy bank trying to get coins out. I can't imagine going through the three step sealing process and trying to get the excess chemicals out, or making sure there isn't a pooling spot of sealer inside. In any case, this tank seems to have been lined before and looks great! Not sure why the holes opened up.

With the existing liner in place I wasn't sure if the prep chemicals would dissolve it or make a real mess, so another reason I will postpone installing the new liner. One final reason is the cold garage. The process would be so much more efficient in the summer time and I would also be able to go outside with those nasty chemicals.

The petcock bolts had lock washers instead of the OEM rubber coated washers, which allowed a slow drip occasionally. That will be corrected on reassembly.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

We shall come rejoycing, lapping in the valves

Lapping the valves using a tap wrench, spinning the valve on one side, lightly pushing in the valve on the other:

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Thanks for the compliments, Gents.
                    Most of it is a '66 with bitsa parts from a '67 donor.
                    I wish i could ride it but insurance up here is expensive. Even Vintage insurance here worked out to $400 and that is too much for something i would only ride a couple times a summer. In the old days we would just swap plates from an insured bike but being older and ahem, wiser it is not a chance i want to take.

I'm paying less than that for classics that are worth more, check Dalton Timmis.
                    Nice bike.
                    1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                    New project 1979 GS1000S
                    Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

Thanks, John.
                      I have been with Dalton Timmis for 10 years on their Vintage program.
                      My '79 and '81 CBX are $368 a piece and have been very happy with them.
                      When i inquired about the SuperHawk they quoted me $386.00.
                      Add the $125 or so for an appraisal and it didn't make sense to me.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks, John.
                        I have been with Dalton Timmis for 10 years on their Vintage program.
                        My '79 and '81 CBX are $368 a piece and have been very happy with them.
                        When i inquired about the SuperHawk they quoted me $386.00.
                        Add the $125 or so for an appraisal and it didn't make sense to me.
                        Living in ON wit bikes isn't cheap that's for sure. Like you're CBX.
                        1982 Katana 1100, 1997 HD Ultra Classic, 1996 Buell S2T, 2002 BMW K1200RS, 1969 Royal Enfield Interceptor Triton project
                        New project 1979 GS1000S
                        Recently sold 1979 Honda CBX1000

Comment

In reference to Bills post...some snug fitting rubber hose works well for lapping valves too..and it prevents any possibikty of that tap handle leaving any burrs.

Lapping the valves using a tap wrench, spinning the valve on one side, lightly pushing in the valve on the other:
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

'79 KZ400B decided to idle on one cylinder only and was hanging at 4000rpm.
                            Pulled the carbs and found the diaphragm was not seated properly on the top and there was a random speck of hard crystalline dirt in the pilot tube beyond the jet. Otherwise carbs as clean as a whistle. How it got in there is anybody's guess.
                            Much smoother now.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Since I discovered the issue a while back, I've had on and off obsessions about why / how my sprockets don't line up. It's beyond simple wheel adjustment, and the inside side of the front sprcket is heavily worn. I discovered that the bike was crashed hard, pieced back together, and parked in a dark garage for 12 years before I bought it. I read a while back that that its not uncommon for 1150 swingarms to twist, and on top of that, one axle cover had a big gash on it when I bought the cycle.

So off off it came last night for a look-see. It's out of whack by about an 1/8 inch. I suspect the sprocket side is pushed up based on the axle cover damage. If this is the case, it may well explain the misalignment.
                              This is actually great news.... Hopefully it will figuratively and literally put me on the right track. I have an arm from the parts bike that checked out good.

I was pleasantly surprised at how easily everything came apart after being bolted together and riding in the dirtiest part of a bike for 34 years... No stuck bolts, no struggles.

3 cents difference....
                              http://Damaged goods.... by Glen Brenner, on Flickr
                              sigpic
                              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                              -Rusty old scooter.
                              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

More good news..... the swinger is also kicked over to one side by a 1/4 inch.... yikes.
                                sigpic
                                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                                -Rusty old scooter.
                                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Working...
                                X