No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know to most of you guys, all this stuff is just regular maintenance. To me, if was my first time for everything but changing the oil. I'm learning a lot from everyone here on the forum.

Just got back from a test ride after all of this winter maintenance:
    Removed 1 broken exhaust bolt, fixed two buggered holes.(1st time)
    Rebuilt forks w/new seals, polished lowers.(1st time)
    Rebuilt caliper, new piston, seals, boots.(1st time)
    Rebuilt MC, including new piston/cup set, new sight glass.(1st time)
    New Venhill SS brake line.(1st time)
    Valve adjustment (1st time)
    Oil Change
    Even took the time to remove the TSCC circle badges and mildly polish all the engine covers. Will get new badges eventually.
    Happy to report, the test drive went awesome. After testing the new front brake on my street for a bit, I took off down the road for some fresh gas. After putting new gas in the tank, headed home. I know I need to take it easy on the new front brake pads, but the bike just sounded so good after getting warm and drinking some fresh fuel. I opened up the throttle. WOW. My speedo went to 85 quicker than ever. Checked everything out when I got home, and as far as I can tell, nothing's leaking. YAY! COME ON SPRING!
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Last three days I did a number of repair items that have been on the "to-do" list for a while, finally getting around to them.
      1. Replaced and lubed clutch cable.
      2. Synced carbs and adjusted idle (cleaned them and re-installed last week)
      3. Installed Braided SS brake lines front and rear (Earls), Replaced front master cylinder (think the return port is clogged on the original unit, will take it apart and inspect)
      4. Replaced crappy sportbike style rear turn indicators back to stock, repaired botched wiring from PO installing said turn signals.
      5. Tach cable seal replacement

Need to get an oil change done and swap new tires on before riding season starts.
      1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
      1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
      Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        I know to most of you guys, all this stuff is just regular maintenance. To me, if was my first time for everything but changing the oil. I'm learning a lot from everyone here on the forum.

Just got back from a test ride after all of this winter maintenance:
        Removed 1 broken exhaust bolt, fixed two buggered holes.(1st time)
        Rebuilt forks w/new seals, polished lowers.(1st time)
        Rebuilt caliper, new piston, seals, boots.(1st time)
        Rebuilt MC, including new piston/cup set, new sight glass.(1st time)
        New Venhill SS brake line.(1st time)
        Valve adjustment (1st time)
        Oil Change
        Even took the time to remove the TSCC circle badges and mildly polish all the engine covers. Will get new badges eventually.
        Happy to report, the test drive went awesome. After testing the new front brake on my street for a bit, I took off down the road for some fresh gas. After putting new gas in the tank, headed home. I know I need to take it easy on the new front brake pads, but the bike just sounded so good after getting warm and drinking some fresh fuel. I opened up the throttle. WOW. My speedo went to 85 quicker than ever. Checked everything out when I got home, and as far as I can tell, nothing's leaking. YAY! COME ON SPRING!
        Fantastic Reporting Sir!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

76C20DD7-99EA-4EF8-8A3B-470E74FA1B81.jpg

Tonight I painted my emblems flat black to match my side covers accent color. Really like the fire engine red and flat black combo, much better than maroon and flaking chrome.
          Last edited by Rust_to_Redemption; 03-12-2019, 09:35 PM.
          1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
          1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
          Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

Vemco Mark VII

[Let's hope the Google Photos links don't have any stupid problems. Editing... What a pain. Here's a link to the album... Ugh, why does Google suck so hard at this. I made a Flickr account, because Google, whose storage I pay for, can't do this.]

I finally got around to digging into my Vemco Mark VII drafing machine. I bought it mostly because I wanted it, but I actually found use for it several weeks ago laying out some small sheet metal parts I wanted to bend. That was fabulous, but the action was kinda chunky. I thought maybe the rollers had developed flat spots, or the grease in the bearings had turned to varnish. It turns out, the tracks and rollers collect random chunks of schmoo. A little brass brush action cleaned everything right up. It's silky smooth now. What a joy it is to work on a device that was designed to be serviced. The manual even describes how to disassemble it. (Downloaded from the Wayback Machine.)

I was taught drafting on the board in high school, just before it became mainly obsolete. The T-square and triangle are fine until you know better. Later in that year I got to use the school's elbow-type drafting machine, and that's the difference between a Suzuki and a Schwinn. I was aware of the V-track machines but I never had a chance to try one. I'm not sure this isn't the first one I've ever actually seen. I spotted this on eBay and nabbed it for cheap. Fortunately, it survived the seller's packaging (a couple wraps of newspaper). The extra benefit of the V-track machines is that you can lock either axis for drawing really long lines. Up to 4' horizontally, and I have room for about 28" of the 36" it can do vertically.

It came with a single 18" scale, a Vemco P-2 in full and half scale sixteenths. I scoured the 'Net and found some metric scales. NOT easy. I found a 300 mm Rumold (German?) in full and half scale mm, and a 450 mm Mutoh (Japanese) in full scale mm and full scale inches in 50ths. Strange combination. The machine also arrived with the Model 3 (Civil Engineer's) protractor head. This thing has a Vernier scale good for 1 arc minute. But it doesn't have the 15° indexing I remembered from school. So I tracked down the Model 4 "Versagraphic" Protractor head shown in the pics.

I think I understand now how some people feel about their cameras or guitars. Well made equipment is just a beautiful thing.

I could do without the wood-grain Vinyl veneer.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Dogma; 03-16-2019, 03:02 PM.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Vemco drafting machine

Your images aren't working for me, so I found this:
              "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
              1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
              1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
              1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Does working up the energy and desire to do a valve adjustment qualify as wrenching today? I mean .. thinking about having to go out and do it has been laborious!

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                  Your images aren't working for me, so I found this:
                  I had (or maybe still have) one similar to this. But mine had (has) an arm with and elbow instead of the beam. I eventually replaced it with a sliding parallel drafting bar and triangles that I have in my office and still use from time to time. I should look and see if I still have the drafting machine. It might be worth something to someone.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I got a request to see the sheet metal parts I laid out using the drafting machine.

The white and brown bent aluminum pieces are what I was working on. The aluminum is from a roll you would get at a lumber yard to bend and wrap around the exterior of doors, windows, fascia boards, etc. It's pretty close to half a mm thick, and for small parts like this I can easily work it with hand tools and a jig I 3D printed.

What is it? It's a heater and fan assembly for an enclosure I'm working on for the 3D Printer. The bent pieces are mounting brackets and a fan shroud.

Here's one of the early attempts at one of the simpler parts. You can see the pen marks from the layout and a little of the trouble I had getting hte bends aligned well in the tools. It was really difficult to assemble this design, so I flipped one of the bends the other way. Visible above.

The design work was done in SolidWorks, since I have access to that through work. Onshape could do this too, and maybe Fusion360. Anyhow, CAD tools have special features that make it easy to add a lot of complexity to a part, and I maybe got carried away. It's hard to see in the pics, but the fan shroud is made of two pieces with a lot of bends. That's why I need to print a jig. I got a little excited about that too, and didn't realize that the fully bent part would wrap around the jig. I had to unbend it a little to free it.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Spent a couple of hours filing and grinding the weld blobs from the inside of the silencer, so that it's nice tight sliding fit onto the Delko collector, and there's a good inch of overlap to seal with.. I did the first few by hand, but thought sod this, there must be an easier way.
                      Dug out the Cheap 'n Cheerful air tool kit that I'd bought at the market yonks back and discovered an air die grinder that is, surprisingly, not as crap as I thought. The job went easily after that, but by 'eck it's a greedy sod for air demand. The compressor was running constantly for at least half an hour.
                      I'd venture to suggest the compressor is well run-in by now.
                      I cut the Hardly internals in half, so that there's still plenty of wadding and perforations in place, but ran a 10mm drill through the baffle, just because I could.
                      Fitted the silencer, after having to drill and tap the Harley bracket to M10, from its funny UNC thread (I recall when those were perfectly normal, but haven't even got any UNF or UNC nuts and bolts in stock, nor had for years).
                      The securing collar is temporary for now - a proper SS exhaust clamp is on its way, and the support strut at the rear can be re-done with something that looks a bit less hokey.
                      The AFR bung is in the right position, too. Which is nice.
                      Discovered that some toerag has nicked my Coppaslip.
                      All in all though, it works.
                      I'll start it tomorrow and see what it sounds like with half the guts it came from Hardly with.

---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        I had (or maybe still have) one similar to this. But mine had (has) an arm with and elbow instead of the beam. I eventually replaced it with a sliding parallel drafting bar and triangles that I have in my office and still use from time to time. I should look and see if I still have the drafting machine. It might be worth something to someone.
                        One of those sliding bar jobs was in the package with my drafting machine. Whoever was selling it or packing it didn't understand what they were dealing with. I should figure out if it's complete enough for someone to use and put it back on eBay. I saw some of the elbow type drafting machines on eBay, for not a lot of money. Something like 80-180 USD. Depending on condition, of course. Cheap-looking ones can be had new. If I was in the market, I'd be looking for a good old one. The nice thing about those is, they're easy to set up and take down for occasional use, and they don't have to take up a lot of room when not in use.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
                          Does working up the energy and desire to do a valve adjustment qualify as wrenching today? I mean .. thinking about having to go out and do it has been laborious!
                          For me, working up the energy is usually the hardest step. After starting, the rest is down hill.
                          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I checked and reset the fuel level in my carbs yesterday. The small tubing tapered and screwed into the threads didn't hold for me, but clamping a section of 3/8 ID tubing to the outside of the bowl drain worked. I heated it up and flared it out for a nice tight fit.

They were all a little low so minor tweak to the floats brought the levels back up to the lock washers on the bowl, which is about in the middle of the shop manual spec. No. 2 carb has an ugly repair from the PO. but is holding solid.

I figured out a neat way to get the choke cable out and back into the 90 degree bent tube. It always binds up in there somehow and that proves to be a frustrating step in the job. Anyway, I used a straw from a spray can of brake cleaner to push the cable end out, while tugging on the cable. Also, for re-inserting the cable it helped to poke the straw in to where it touched the cable end putting a little pressure on it with a push/ pull motion and this kept the cable end from binding up in the 90, and it slid right through.

Adjusting the float levels didn't smooth out the idle as I'd hoped, so today i'll check the current at the coils and possibly install a relay I found in a drawer here.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Worked on my throttle issues, finally got my random reving problem fixed thanks to some longtime forum masters!! Thanks to them it's almost ready to hit the road!
                              20190317_141706.jpg
                              1983 GS650GL First Bike!

Comment

Track bike redo

Ok, 2 months 'til next track day:
                                Working on fiberglass tailpiece/seat.
                                Built a support structure that will support my weight and is securely bolted to the frame.
                                Added some to the shell so it covers the gap mo-betta. This is a 93 GSXR Yoshi design tailpiece adapted to a '90 GSX750F Katana.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X