Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

Hey! We have a LIKE BUTTON now!
    Except, unlike other forums I belong to, you can't see who it was that liked your post. Odd....
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

New tires, fresh oil/filter, and a little cleaner....Ready to go....

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Gave the GS some fresh oil and a filter, cleaned the K&N air filter and checked valves today.

I've checked every 4k miles or so and valve clearances haven't changed in the last 8k miles. It's got about 56,600 miles as far as I can tell (changed the speedo around 50k) and I'm hoping to get another 50k before overhaul.

Ever since getting a squirt of oil in my face a while back while rotating the crank by hand, I've used a little syringe to clear it out from around the buckets. Couldn't find the syringe so I improvised. Silly contraption, but functional.

Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          . . . . . . . to clear it out from around the buckets. .......[/img][/url]
          Thanks for explanation.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I just finished valve shims, throttle body balance, and coolant flush on my Street Triple. Never in my life have I cursed so much! I miss working on Japanese bikes. There’s one bracket that holds both side fairings, the radiator, clutch cable and throttle cable routings, the air intake boot, etc. Then there’s just barely too little clearance to fit a wrench or socket on 10% of the hardware. It seems like Triumph engineering is a little too cute and my hunch is that’s why they’re known for issues. But, once done properly it’s the smoothest and most crisp bike I’ve ever ridden.

(The pic is from before the valve shim and timing adjustment.)

A4BEDF5B-DD19-431B-BAA1-18DD018BB6D4.jpg
            Last edited by Joe Garfield; 04-18-2022, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Nice to see you back posting here Joe! I guess HI is treating you well enough. Where do you ride a street triple over there in anything past 2nd gear??
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks! It's good to be back - this really is an incredible forum and group of riders.

There isn't much room to wind out the bike. There are a few highways but I do spend a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd. I do often ride around the coast between Honolulu and Kailua (72), and across the mountains between the two (Pali, Likelike, H3.) And I'll be riding up to North Shore a lot (H2). But yeah, this is the reason I sold my baby GSX-S1000F. I was physically ill after selling that bike but there's just no sensible reason to have a liter bike here. The Street Triple (675) is really snappy so it's still fun to ride. I have a 170cc scooter which is highway capable but not highway comfortable, so the ST does feel pretty appropriate.
                Last edited by Joe Garfield; 04-18-2022, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Changed the Bandit’s fork seals and installed new Sonic Springs this weekend. Now to go find a 350 mile test route so I can hit the magic number on the odometer
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Changed the Bandit’s fork seals and installed new Sonic Springs this weekend. Now to go find a 350 mile test route so I can hit the magic number on the odometer
                    Okay, I'll take the bait... What's the "Magic Number" on the odometer?
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Well the seals were changed at 99656 if that helps

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                        Well the seals were changed at 99656 if that helps
                        Yes, that helps. So your magic number is 100,006
                        My Motorcycles:
                        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)
                        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post

Yes, that helps. So your magic number is 100,006
                          Yea, as long as I get close to it

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

I worked this week gutting a barn for my employer. The chickens and rabbits were none too happy, despite other, nicer quarters.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

I started assembling that 72 R5C i sold 2 years ago to a buddy. wasnt anything except a painted frame this morning.....

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

After 10 years of the 712 Shinko, I think I've saved enough money to buy a Pirelli Sport Demon and compare it to Shinko. Worth the extra money?.
                                So far I can say the Pirelli is V rated, has thicker stiffer sidewalls and carcass.
                                Bead did not seat so easy, had to work on that.
                                The brand name is more legend, plus the tread pattern is mo pretty.
                                4NiE4Am.jpg
                                Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 06-11-2022, 06:14 PM.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X